D Day!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

D Day!

Post by greatgt » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:55 pm

Dec. 6 1944....Many Americans were fighting for their lives under withering fire from Germans.....One of the reasons we prevailed was due to a previous event....Dieppe...I thank the Canadians who lost their lives giving their all to the cause of liberating Europe and stomping out Fascism.....5100 men landed......not returning.....3648....At a time where our collective memory is fading.....Mountbatten...."for every soldier who died at Dieppe"' later "10 were saved on D Day"......The German thinking....They won't do it the same way next time...Got that right! So thanks to all the boys/men who sacrificed themselves so we could get on with "normal" lives...TM

wooley12

Re: D Day!

Post by wooley12 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:07 pm

Good place to put this. I happened to see a D-Day survivor on his walk today. Not many left who went through that hell. We had a nice chat once. His body survived but it took decades to get his soul back. He said that he was in the second wave. "It was worse than the first wave. I was wading through a human stew!!" I wondered if today had any special meaning for him. I hope the memories are gone.
KIMG1709.jpg

greatgt

Re: D Day!

Post by greatgt » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:35 am

Every relative survived their service and I grew up knowing that they were special...All had done things we can't contemplate....While some of us have served and "boots" was in the thick of it in Vietnam....the magnitude of WW2 is incomprehensible....From the North Atlantic...pQ17 I think....Uncle Jonny....6 of 36 got to Murmansk....How is it possible?....Eddie....patrol on some armpit of an Island and his entire patrol killed....He missing in action only to be found with his raggedy pockets stuffed with Jap insignia....Two week killing spree in the jungle....he ended up in a padded cell....only to come back to reality when the sailor...his brother from PQ17....visited him....Uncle pickle...the nicest, kindest, party man I ever met...Loved everybody...loved everything....A combat corpsman on every rotten island in the Pacific......Bill...the only good jap is a dead jap....he was one of the officers who put out false info to MacArthur when the "Boys" got to the San Miguel brewery in the Philippines...Half the Army got drunk one day the other half the next day...Had green sh..s for a week but .....Somehow they survived and had families....built up a fantastic country.....And spoiled the Baby boomer generation.....of which I am.....Telemarking....man....TM