3 pin or tts?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: 3 pin or tts?

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:48 am

trashcat wrote: I'm trying to come up with a way to modify them for a walk/ski mode. Then they'd really be the ticket.
What do you mean by "walk/ski mode" on a boot like the BCX675?

What binding are you going to pair with them?

I will be interested in how you make out with them- I personally don't trust that glued duckbill sole...
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:41 am

blastOplast wrote: Do you think a ski like the Annum is manageable with NNN-BC? Obviously ability, conditions, and boot play a big role in the answer. I would love to know if folks think this is reasonable.
Of course they are... Skiing Annums on NNNBC is *super* easy. The system can actually handle a lot more than this. A lot more powerful than plain pins... But yes, it all depends on the boots... Do not expect to have fun going downhill with 30$ "cross-country" style NNN-BC boots...
blastOplast wrote: I have a pair of Anuums that I hardly ever use with T4s and was thinking of switching them to either TTS (probably the Lynx), Rottefella Freedoms (just because I have them in a drawer), or... NNN-BC. I am considering phasing out my duckbills and conforming my quiver to either NTN or NNN-BC.
Go NNNBBC all the way. With NTN, Lynx or other tech, you will totally ruin the fun out of your annums...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:06 pm

Johnny wrote:
blastOplast wrote: Do you think a ski like the Annum is manageable with NNN-BC? Obviously ability, conditions, and boot play a big role in the answer. I would love to know if folks think this is reasonable.
Of course they are... Skiing Annums on NNNBC is *super* easy. The system can actually handle a lot more than this. A lot more powerful than plain pins... But yes, it all depends on the boots... Do not expect to have fun going downhill with 30$ "cross-country" style NNN-BC boots...
blastOplast wrote: I have a pair of Anuums that I hardly ever use with T4s and was thinking of switching them to either TTS (probably the Lynx), Rottefella Freedoms (just because I have them in a drawer), or... NNN-BC. I am considering phasing out my duckbills and conforming my quiver to either NTN or NNN-BC.
Go NNNBBC all the way. With NTN, Lynx or other tech, you will totally ruin the fun out of your annums...
Totally agree on NNNBC and the Annum/Guide. Putting NNNBC and my Alaskas on my Annums completely transformed that ski for me- and made me much happier with it actually.
The Annum/Guide is a "wide" soft-snow XC ski. The fact that it is wider than a traditional distance-oriented XC ski does not make it a downhill ski. Don't let that sidecut fool you- the Annum/Guide is no rigid powerful downhill ski, and accepting that allows one to enjoy them for what they are! They are light and soft- they glide very well in deep soft, fresh, snow- and one can ride wonderful open turns on them when the snow is right.
However- the Annum/Guide is no downhill carving machine.
IMO, putting rigid, active and powerful downhill bindings and boots on a ski like the Annum is a serious waste- it will just bent and twist and crumple with all of that force.
I have always found that even a boot in the T4/Excusion class and plain-jane 3-pins is more power than the Annum can respond to!
Sorry if you already explained this- what kind of skiing are you planning on using the Annum for?
If you want the downhill performance of downhill boots and bindings- I would suggest mounting them on a true downhill ski- not the Annum.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

trashcat
Ski style: attempting to stay upright
Favorite Skis: The ones I'm currently on
Favorite boots: Merrell leathers, Rossi X5's

Post by trashcat » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:55 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
trashcat wrote: I'm trying to come up with a way to modify them for a walk/ski mode. Then they'd really be the ticket.
What do you mean by "walk/ski mode" on a boot like the BCX675?

What binding are you going to pair with them?

I will be interested in how you make out with them- I personally don't trust that glued duckbill sole...
I'm thinking of some way of securing the cuff so that I can make the hinge in the cuff rigid for downhill skiing. Just a thought. Probably nothing that will materialize, but we'll see.

I'm going to pair them with three pin cable traverse bindings, and we'll see about the duckbill. Hopefully if it comes loose I can shoe goo it back together.