Voile 3-Pin Hardwire Binding

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Voile 3-Pin Hardwire Binding

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:55 pm

Ski Binding Review: Voile 3-Pin Hardwire

This is certainly not the first telemark binding that I have tested, but it is the first one that I have reviewed! I do wish that I had more comprehensive and complete experience with much of the current telemark bindings available, but- other than some demo tests at resorts- the only other telemark bindings that I have a lot of experience with are Voile’s 3-Pin Cable and 3-Pin Mountaineer; as well as Rottefella’s Super-Telemark. I am afraid that this review will be somewhat limited due to my lack of experience with modern Telemark technology.

The Voile 3-Pin Hardwire (3PH) is a Nordic Norm (NN)- 75-mm- 3-pin binding- with a rod and cartridge spring assembly that attaches to the heel of the boot. It has a standard NN 3-pin base plate to be mated to a standard 75mm-3pin- boot duckbill. The 3-pin baseplate’s bail has three settings to accommodate duckbills of varying thickness (I have been told it is identical to the Mountaineer). The binding is mounted on a 20mm riser that ramps upward. The heel pad has two different-sized climbing wires.

The heel “cables” are available in two different sizes:
• Short Rod: 24-26.5 Mondo
• Standard Rod: 27-31 Mondo
I have the standard rods (size 27 Mondo). Both the short and the standard rods have the same spring-cartridge. I have not spent any time thinking about the physics of whether the shorter or the longer rod gives more resistance…

In communications with Voile they have told me that the cartridges on this binding are identical to those on the Switchback. (A friend has told me that the old-school 3-pin-cable has more resistance (i.e. stiffer springs) which is a real kick in the ass- I bought these bindings assuming that they would offer more resistance...) Without holding a Switchback next to this binding the attachment-point of the rod seems further back on this binding. This would at least suggest to me that this binding is more “active” than the Switchback…I do not know how the clamping of the duckbill in the bail affects binding “activity”, versus the Switchback. A friend of mine has switched out the stock rod-cartridge for the stiffer springs that come on the Switchback X2- they have the same attachment.

This binding is designed for Nordic-Telemark touring in the backcountry. It is an incredibly versatile binding. In standard mode it can be used like an old-school NN binding without the heel cables- old-school XC and telemark ski touring. Use this mode for distance-oriented skiing as well as climbing. The heeling cables can be easily clipped to the heel riser when XC skiing and climbing. When you need resistance/action and torsional stability for downhill skiing- simply lift up the cables and clip them to the boot heel- wow- POWER!!!!

These bindings do not have the free-pivot mode of a binding like the Switchback- therefore, they have more resistance and are less efficient when climbing. HOWEVER- the 3-pin bail clamps the duckbill producing resistance that improves traction and kick and glide when XC skiing. A free-pivot Telemark touring binding is definitely more efficient for up-down “touring”, but the 3PH binding is a more efficient touring binding if your touring involves much XC skiing over flat to moderate rolling terrain.

In my neck of the woods- at mid-elevation in the New Brunswick hills- the terrain is rolling with predominantly moderate slopes- punctuated by steeply cut ravines down into streams and rivers. XC-mode is all I need for 90% of the terrain I tour on- and many of the sweetest stashes of high, steep and snowy glades take several kilometres- or more- to reach. The 3PH binding is the PERFECT binding for downhill-focused touring in my backcountry context.

I have this binding mounted on two skis:
• 188cm Asnes Storetind
• 162cm Altai Kom

I am currently using it with two different boots:
• Scarpa T4 (old version)
• Alico Ski March
I have been having fit problems with the cavernous Ski March boot- not using it much unfortunately…
Love the T4.

The Storetind is a perfect match for the 3PH binding. The Storetind- like the binding- has remarkable XC skiing performance for such a downhill-oriented ski. I can get up to some serious cruising speed on the Storetind in 3-pin mode. I would put NNNBC on the Storetind, but the heel cables of the 3PH- and more supportive T4- completely unlock the downhill potential of this ski.

The Kom is much more of an up-down yo-yo ski- and as such- I think that a free-pivot binding might be a better choice for it. I cannot get enough XC momentum on the Kom to truly take advantage of the 3-pin bale- I feel that I might as well be in free-pivot mode when shuffling along on the Kom…

The “Swiss army knife” of Nordic touring the 3-Pin Hardwire certainly is!!

XCD Scale:
• Cross-Country: 75/100
• Downhill: 100/100

Is this binding “better” than the old 3-pin-cable binding and worth the extra dough? Hard for me to say yet. The heel cable clips to the heel cable quite neatly and securely- better than the old 3PC. The 3-pin-hardwire at least seems to offer better torsional stability than the 3PC.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Re: Voile 3-Pin Hardwire Binding

Post by Verskis » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:11 am

lilcliffy wrote: Is this binding “better” than the old 3-pin-cable binding and worth the extra dough?
This is something I would really like to know!
Please update the review if you come to a some conclusion during the winter.

I think one of the major flaws of the 3 Pin Cable is that the cable can't be stowed behind the heel pad during XC skiing or climbing, but other than that I can't see anything wrong with it. But I have absolutely no experience about cartridge spring bindings, so I would really appreciate some feedback from people like you that have skied a lot with both spring types. I only have extendable springs in my bindings (3 Pin Cable and Rottefella Chili).

I might try to play with some Rottefella risers and heel pads to try to make the 3PC cable stowable without removing it, let's see how that goes...

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:25 pm

I've experience with both, but more with the simple cable version. As mentioned elsewhere, the cable version is the Mountaineer with brackets to accept a cable, and a cable which can be attached or left in one's car or backpack. I've used my cables a lot at lift-served resorts on 90's-era alpine skis when hard packed groomers become boring to ski on big shaped powder skis and Vices. The cable setup is super-light, and quite capable of "driving" my Garmont Synergies. They're much lighter than the Hardwires which I use mounted on S-Bound 98's. I don't love dragging the disengaged cartridges around while kick-and-gliding, but do so occasionally depending on the itinerary. You can also use the Hardwire toe-piece and remove completely the heel cartridges, depending on the day's itinerary. The cartridges, though, aren't as easy to re-attach to the ski as they first must be screwed into a cable assembly. Some people attach the entire assembly upside-down to their Hardwire toe-pieces to facilitate on-and-off use. That works, but carries some risk of the entire assembly flying off the ski during transport to and from the trailhead.

Voile Cable version w/o riser: light, strong, simple on-off, hook-the-cable-to-the-toe-piece. One of the things I liked about them was the boot's intimate contact with the skis (no riser), and therefore with the mountain.

The Hardwires are heavier, and most of the time I believe they're more than what I really need on my S-Bounds, even when I ski them in Garmont Excursions. (a beefy plastic backcountry boot) I would definitely not bother with Hardwires if I were opting for leather or lighter Alpina-Alaska style boots with mostly low-angle K and G itineraries. The Hardwires cost a lot more, though not my pair as I bought them unused and inexpensive from a consignment store (part of why I mounted them on the S-Bounds in the first place.) One more trait of the Hardwire: it's got slightly larger cable attachment brackets on the toe-pieces. It might sound odd, but those little brackets sometimes intrude on one another's space while k-and-g'ing on the S-bounds. They sometimes bump together, occasionally "catching". A bit annoying. The basic "Mountaineer" toe-piece hasn't got that obtrusive little bracket.

In any case, I like all versions of the 3-pin Voiles.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:55 pm

Another note about this binding.
This is the first off-piste (backcountry) Nordic touring binding I have ever had with a riser. (I have alpine-toured plenty with both Telemark and AT kits with risers (i.e. up-down big mtn touring)).
I can say that XC skiing with a riser takes some getting used to- I am not crazy about it yet.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:06 pm

Verskis wrote: I think one of the major flaws of the 3 Pin Cable is that the cable can't be stowed behind the heel pad during XC skiing or climbing, but other than that I can't see anything wrong with it.
The Voile cable can be locked behind the heel piece if you get the Traverse Riser. https://www.voile.com/voile-3-pin-cable ... riser.html

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:20 pm

This is a great review of a great binding. I have personally fallen in love with this binding and I have put it on many, many of my skis. LC alluded to my addition of the X2 cartridges. My feet are long enough that the angle of the steel bar that connects the X2 cartridges can be accommodated with the play of the rods via baseplate of the Hardwire binding (I'm a Scarpa 30.5/31-- I don't know at what foot length this benefit stops-- buyer beware!). This has created a powerful, active binding with redundant 3pin features and good K+G characteristics (I personally do not prefer free pivot with tele boots, but this is highly personal opinion) with the cartridges locked behind the heelpiece. I wish Voile would offer this binding with two cartridge options. I think my longer feet are have a lot of leverage over the stock blue cartridges which is why I found them inadequate. Shorter feet may find the stock cartridges completely acceptable.

I also like somewhat active bindings. The Hardwire is more active than the G3 Targe, Rott Cobra 4 (the orange one, don't confuse with the R8), and the Switchback which have pivot points forward relative of the HW. It is less active than the Switchback X2, however.

The stock blue cartridges of the current Hardwire are less resistant than the Voile cables via an unscientific pull test in my basement, but I think the hardwire component itself delivers the energy differently than a bendy cable making the HW more "active" overall. There is more to activity I think than just cable stiffness.

Anyway, great bombproof bindings, I would definitely mount on any ski up to a high-90 waist.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:49 am

Ive got the HW on my Voile Hypervectors and the cables on my Fischer Voodoos. With my T2 Eco boots, I end up using the Cables all the time with the Voodoos. Kick and Glide and downhill. They just arent very stiff compared the HW. The HW are super stiff and I only use them on big downhills. The HWs are so stiff you can even parallel with them. My only complaint with HW its kinda a pain to lift the climbing wire, then lift the heel throw up to latch onto the boots. Takes a bit of time. I see this as a disadvantage compared to the Switchback, where you just flick a switch for downhill. But I have not tested the Switchback. It seems kick and glide might not be as good on Switchback compared to HW. But that is just a guess.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:56 pm

Just curious, I have a Fischer VooDoo (well, my buddy borrowed it in 2003. He claims he can bring it by if I really need it) My ski was from the earlier 90's, it was purple, and the side cut was very similar to my K2 Extremes. It was not near as stiff as my K2 Extremes, but it was a nice powder ski in the days when all skis were skinny. It was cool, purple with with what I called some granola/hippie details. It had the coolest graphics of any ski I owned until the new Gamme arrived.
I am pretty sure Connyro skis a Switchback X2 on a Vector, and he has commented on it if you search him up. I'm not sure, but he may have switched to a Burnt Mr Spike. I do know he likes his Vectors. I am pretty sure Lowangle Al skis Vectors and 3 pin HW bindings. I really think it comes down to what works best with your approaches, a free pivot to climb easier, or better kick and glide for longer approaches. Regardless there has been some good info on both of these options over the past couple of years.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:13 am

I will take a pic of my Voodoos and a post pic. Its a great ski, purple, with flowers on it, with Voile Releaseable bindings . Not sure on the year. Maybe early 2000?