Fischer Sbound 112 ?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
aquamogal

Re: What is the ultimate compromise ski?

Post by aquamogal » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:49 pm

Thank you all very much for all the feedback and help much appreciated

anemic

Re: Fischer Sbound 112 ?

Post by anemic » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Hey welcome aquamogal. I'm in GR! I've rendezvoused with fisheater up at Caberfae and we all like finding golf course hills and dunes and fun wherever we find snow.

The dunes are so tempting with the treeless vertical faces on the lake side, but so often the snow comes in with a big breeze which sprinkles beach sand onto the snow - or removes it altogether! I've had a tough time finding consistent fun out there. But you are really close and stand a good chance of hitting it during prime time!

I bet those Fischer's would be my winner. You've got a proven product in your hands and I would recommend trying their the easy skin.
Call it Nordic Freeride

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:14 pm

Hey Aqua,
I found your original post- you speak both of downhill skiing through tight trees- but you also speak of XC skiing some 12 miles on trails as well. You also speak of wanting to stay light and soft with your Glissades.

Do you have much experience downhill skiing with soft XC boots?

I can ski quite tight lines with even 200cm XC skis through the woods, but I don't carve turns- I step/stride my way through turns, and/or use jump telemark turns. What is critical here is that the skis are very light so that you can pick them up whenever you need to...

If you decide to go really short- to make them easier to maneuver- they are going to be super slow on that 12-mile trail. And any of the mid-fat XC skis (98/112, etc.) are going to be all over the place when XC skiing on a consolidated surface- they should be fine on deep, soft, fresh snow.

Again I think that this all entirely depends on snow conditions...
The only conditions that I would ever take a ski like the S-112/Annum on a 12-mile tour is if the snow is deep, fresh and soft. And if my new 205cm Ingstad BC is as stable as my 210cm Combat Nato in very deep snow- the Ingstad BC will replace my Annums for distance-oriented tours in the hills (My Storetinds have already replaced my Guide/Annum for downhill-focused touring in the hills).

I am thinking that you are going to want two skis:
1) A deep powder XCD ski (S-112/Annum/OAC XCD GT/Vector BC/Objective BC/Rabb 68, etc.)
2) A consolidated snow XCD ski. (Eon/Ingstad/T-78/E-88, etc.)

The one to get first depends on your typical snow conditions.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Lilcliffy offers great advise, and you will eventually want a "trail ski" for when the snow is consolidated. I was in denial for a long time, but truth be told my trail touring happens a lot more than my downhill touring. For skiing in as little as a few inches of snow you can't beat the Falketind 62, especially considering you want to ski in soft leather boots. I know your terrain. I believe you could handle a Fisher 89 with soft boots, it wouldn't have the float for deep, deep lake effect days.
FWIW, I believe I am not seriously undergunned at any resort in Michigan, on any run, on the FT 62. It isn't fun on hardpack touring, but I like it better than the S-112. As a matter of fact, I didn't ski the S-112's last season. I skied trails on a surplus touring ski, and when I had snow I skied the FT 62.
Again, not trying to be confusing just relaying my experience. Of course on the other side of the coin, I started Nordic backcountry skiing on a S-112. It has been an enjoyable journey, from Alpine to Telemark to Nordic backcountry.

aquamogal

Post by aquamogal » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:54 pm

I sent the Sbound 112 and 160 XCD GT back. I decided to order the E88 in 179 and can return as well if not used there was a deal at REI on last years. I am going to start there hopefully and see where to with this XCD adventure takes me :)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:25 pm

Exciting!
A number of skiers on this site love the 88 and the 78.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:44 pm

Good choice, I think you will be happy with your decision. Looking forward to snow photos!