Snow Blades?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
martin2007

Snow Blades?

Post by martin2007 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:52 pm

I came across some of super-short "snow blades" for sale, used, and wondered if they have any potential as BC ski-shoes. I've seen people skiing on them at resorts, and wasn't motivated in the least in that setting, but maybe in another setting...Has anyone here ever tried mounting a free-heel binding on anything called a snow blade? I'd been contemplating DIY-ing some HOK-ish skis out of retired kids' skis in my basement, but snow blades are even shorter in length than what we have already at hand. Probably crazy, but who knows...? Thoughts?

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Re: Snow Blades?

Post by Johnny » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:33 am

martin2007 wrote:Has anyone here ever tried mounting a free-heel binding on anything called a snow blade?
I did. And I still do! They are SUPER fun. But most snow blades are pure pieces of crap. Snow blades are for kids. But for your information, there is something even better, and more serious. It's called ski boards. Slightly longer than blades, but of much higher quality. Both Summit's Invertigo and Marauder ski boards are the most interesting...

But THE coolest of the coolest is still the Hagan Off Limits, for both BC and resort super-fun:
http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1696
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

black dog

Post by black dog » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:19 pm

snowblades have too much shape, can't imagine dropping a knee. not just for kids though, they're pretty stout (check out the annual snowblade extreme comp at crested butte) I think you'd be better off with kids skis that are straighter. not familiar with ski boards

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:28 am

Thanks for replying. The snow blades/ski shoes concept is a way to get my wife out on "skis". She's has a life-long fear of skiing down hills, but is quite happy and secure on snowshoes. She likes x-country kick and gliding on the flats, but going down hills is traumatic and absolutely no fun for her or her ski partner (me). The goal wouldn't be for her ( or for me) to carve tele-turns on the shorties. More a goal of slip-sliding happily along forest trails with controlled descents of the hills.