Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by lilcliffy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:23 am

BTW- I recently tried on a new pair of Alaskas- blown away by how much stiffer they are than my broken in pair.

HOWEVER- the sole-flex of my broken-in Alaskas is still more supportive than a softer-flexing boot like the Rossi BCX6.(my son has a brand new pair). And my broken-in pair of Rossi BCX6 has a very soft, unsupportive sole-flex.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:22 pm

I am a size 11 US, my T-4's are 28.5. Not that it matters, but my Alico Ski March are 10 UK. I have no Euro size boots. Some charts say 44, others 45 for the Alaska. Any opinions are appreciated.
Thank you

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:18 pm

I would think you should go with EU45. I have a pair of Alaska EU45s at home, would you like me to measure the insole for you when I get back?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:08 pm

bgregoire wrote:I would think you should go with EU45. I have a pair of Alaska EU45s at home, would you like me to measure the insole for you when I get back?
Ben,
I would appreciate that. It should be pretty easy to figure out length from that measurement.
Thank you,
Bob

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:59 am

I'm 10.5, sometimes 27.5 and sometimes 28. Sometimes 42 and sometimes 43.

My first pair of Alaskas were 44 and they were way too big... I would be tempted to recommend you the 44, but it's always easier to wear thicker socks to accommodate a bigger boot... ;)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:46 pm

fisheater wrote: I would appreciate that. It should be pretty easy to figure out length from that measurement.
Thank you,
Bob
Bobby, was not following this thread so I missed your request. Well, I saw somewhere that you have already ordered a pair so I am assuming you no longer need the measurement, which would entail me digging around in the basement of the original liner? I'm subscribing now so just howler if you still need the measure. Cheers.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:20 pm

bgregoire wrote:
fisheater wrote: I would appreciate that. It should be pretty easy to figure out length from that measurement.
Thank you,
Bob
Bobby, was not following this thread so I missed your request. Well, I saw somewhere that you have already ordered a pair so I am assuming you no longer need the measurement, which would entail me digging around in the basement of the original liner? I'm subscribing now so just howler if you still need the measure. Cheers.
Ben, my Alaska's 45 have arrived. They could not fit better if they were custom made. I keep getting an inch or two of snow, followed by a melt. I will be ready when I can take them for a spin. Thank you for the help.

bem

Post by bem » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:11 am

Hi,
My expereince with my Alpina Alaska BC during season 2017-18/19.
When new they are stiff and that is little annoying, but they will soften as they are used but it will take a while before they get softer.
Very stable in all directions for the foot.
Not so heavy in my opinion, at least the weight is nothing that bother be when skiing (on my Asnes Amundsen Fram WL with Rottefella "BC Manual" bindings). I do mostly sking in forest terrain, no hills really and I do not use my Amundsen skis for downhill sking like in mountains.
It is easy to step in/out of the boots with the foot, quick to lace.
No problem to walk with them.
It has not been very coold when I have used them, occasionally down to -15 to -20 deg Celsius I have used them and with whool socks on my feet it has been warm and comfortable. The insoles in my Alaska boots has worked OK, maybe even more comfortable and warmer insoles can be found somewhere but for me they have worked fine.
I have maintained the boots with some leather impregnation spray now and then.
The rubber side has some signs of wear (after 2.5 seasons use, total about 600 km skiing), I would say it is normal wear and nothing to worry about as far as I understand. Some wear on the laces can also be seen.
08_Alpina_Alaska_BC.jpg
The rubber has crack on outside on both Alaska boots:
09_Alpina_Alaska_BC.jpg
Some of the rubber has worn away on inside on both Alaska boots:
10_Alpina_Alaska_BC.jpg

bem

Post by bem » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:29 am

The shoelaces on my Alaska BC boots is worn out now after over 2.5 seasons use. They are rather nappy and after closer inspection I descided new laces was needed. The laces are 200 cm long, and I found nice black-darkred laces by Lundhags that worked fine as replacement, that has same type of material and diameter as the Alaska original laces:

https://www.lundhags.se/en/products/kae ... 00cm?c=911

I also noticed today that my Alaska BC has more cracks on other side of the boots, see photo below. It seems I get more and more cracks in the rubber material. This is my third season with these boots and I suppose they will have done their job after this season.
I think I will get these for next season:
https://alfaoutdoor.com/shop/ski-boots/ ... ance-gtx-m

/Bo
Lundhags_shoelaces_200cm.jpg
Alpina_Alaska_BC_new_shoelaces.jpg
Alpina_Alaska_BC.jpg