Nordic Backcountry Telemark Ski Boot Size Conversion Charts Depository

The ultimate telemark knowledge base and encyclopedia. All you need to know about free-heel skiing. History, technical terms, glossary, how-to's and tips. Just the facts, no opinions. Your #1 place to start for everything tele.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Nordic Backcountry Telemark Ski Boot Size Conversion Charts Depository

Post by bgregoire » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:30 pm

Please contribute here with useful nordic Backcountry / telemark boot size conversion charts for the various brands out there.

For starters, here is Crispis':
Crispi 2.png
https://crispi.it/it/13/size-chart
Crispi.jpg
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire

Re: Nordic Backcountry / Telemark Boot Size Conversion Charts Depository

Post by bgregoire » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:34 pm

Here is ALFA's version:

(Watch out: US chart sizes do not always match US sizes printed on boot. For ex.: my EU41s & EU44s have 8US & 10.5US printed on them respectively whereas is seems more like a 9.5US & 11.5US on the chart. And I guess we have to assume these are male US sizes. The right fit is certainly the MP and EU sizes).
ALFA SIZE.png
And their very cool sizing method:

"Method

Place a paper close to the wall and with bare feet place the foot on the paper, with your heel to the wall. Since it is important to stand up straight, preferably have someone help you draw a line in front of the longest toe. Remember to measure both feet as they might not be identical. With a ruler, confirm the measurement in centimeters and add additional space according to the list below.
Additional space

Hunting and Hiking

Hiking Low and Hiking Mid approx. add 1 cm.
Mountain, Hunting and Winter boots add approx. 1.5 cm.

Skiing boots

Racing add approx. 1 cm.
Backcountry, Touring and Expedition add approx. 1.5 cm

Pro

Low and Mid add approx. 1 cm.
High add approx. 1.5 cm.

Note that this method is purely intended as a guideline."

https://alfaoutdoor.com/service-center/size-guides
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:07 am

Here is Alpina's official size table, copied from the Alaska page on their site (http://www.alpinasports.com/product/alaska/224):
ALPINA SIZE.png
alpina size.pdf
(25.13 KiB) Downloaded 1383 times

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:54 pm

I'm still looking for an official Fischer size chart for their nordic backcountry boot line.

In the meantime, I've made a very unsettling discovery in my very own home:

The generic Rottefella NNN-BC sole of my Alfa Dynamic size 41EU (8US on the boot) and my Fischer BCX6 size 43EU are a PERFECT match! They are the same exact size!

Watch out, those brands are out to get you I say! :twisted:

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:55 pm

Waiting on my new Scarpa T2s to arrive. Im in between sizes. One boot fitter said my old T2 29s were slightly too big even though they feel great and no heel lift and no pains sking for half the day. Gonna take the boot fitters advice and give the 28s a whirl since the 28.5 is the same shell size as the 29s in Scarpas. Hopefully not too small.

Such a gamble buying boots online or even at the ski shop. Garmonts/Scotts, lets just say they fit odd for my feet and hoping to sell the few pair I have collecting dust. You really wont know how the boot will work for you until you ski it.

satsuma

Post by satsuma » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:12 am

bgregoire wrote:Here is Alpina's official size table, copied from the Alaska page on their site (http://www.alpinasports.com/product/alaska/224):
ALPINA SIZE.png
alpina size.pdf
They don't sell any of the 1/2 sizes of course.

I wear a 10 1/2 shoe, or sometimes 11. Alpina or Rossi fits me with a 44, Salomon with a 45.

teleclub

Post by teleclub » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:31 pm

voilenerd wrote:Waiting on my new Scarpa T2s to arrive. Im in between sizes. One boot fitter said my old T2 29s were slightly too big even though they feel great and no heel lift and no pains sking for half the day. Gonna take the boot fitters advice and give the 28s a whirl since the 28.5 is the same shell size as the 29s in Scarpas. Hopefully not too small.

Such a gamble buying boots online or even at the ski shop. Garmonts/Scotts, lets just say they fit odd for my feet and hoping to sell the few pair I have collecting dust. You really wont know how the boot will work for you until you ski it.
Good call on trusting that boot fitter on Scarpa T2s. I ordered only a half size down 20 years ago when I got a pro-form deal on the gen two version of T2, the first blue T2. I knew they ran big and thought half size down would be enough. They were a little big when new (but by then I was way out west skiing so no chance to exchange), and they packed out feeling too big. Few years later I got the three buckle T2 and this time I sized a whole size or size and a half down from my street shoe size (9.5 US), getting an 8 or 8.5 US as labeled by Scarpa. They were snug to get on but supremely comfortable, and having the smaller shell size was a real advantage. I have a low volume foot so that may make a difference, but Scarpas are already pretty low volume.

Summer 2017 I got a Scarpa TX Pro for the NTN bindings and wondered if they'd still run large after all these years. This time, no pro-form so I was able to try the size and got size MP 26.5, which most charts will say is 8 or 8.5 so I guess Scarpas still run big despite their changes to NTN lasts.

Couldn't come even close to fitting the Garmont/Scott in 26.5 and would have needed at least 27.5 so their numbers run closer to standard. But the Garmont/Scott was also a weird fit for me--larger volume but strangely narrow at the front of the toes.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:40 am

bgregoire wrote:I'm still looking for an official Fischer size chart for their nordic backcountry boot line.

In the meantime, I've made a very unsettling discovery in my very own home:

The generic Rottefella NNN-BC sole of my Alfa Dynamic size 41EU (8US on the boot) and my Fischer BCX6 size 43EU are a PERFECT match! They are the same exact size!

Watch out, those brands are out to get you I say! :twisted:
This is disturbing Ben!
I would love to order an Alfa Guard Advance, but the price is to high to get the sizing wrong and those Alfa Kikum/Performs I examined were very large for their size...

I contacted Rotteffela directly to ask them about this.
Here is their response:
Hi
The different boot producers build their boots differently and therefore match our BC-soles sizes differently on their shoe sizes.
Therefore, there might very well be that two different boot sizes from different producers might have the same sole size.
BR
Ole Svinningen
CFO
I then asked them whether they actually make individual NNN-BC soles in each size (i.e. 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, etc.) or whether they make them in classes (i.e. 40-43; 44-47; etc.) Ole confirmed that they do make soles in each individual EU size...

Ben- are these two boots the same size inside? Do you normally take a 43EU but a 41EU in an Alfa boot?!
Do both of these boots have the same length footbed?

I just ordered a Svartisen BC in a 42EU- thinking they will be a bit wider than my Alaska BC 43EU (which is really a bit too big). However, I just looked at the TelemarkDown link you posted on the other board and they say they "run large" and suggest that a 42EU is actually a US size 10!!!!!http://www.telemarkdown.com/store/boots ... svartisen/
WTF?! Do I need a 41EU in a Crispi boot to fit my small-volume size 9US foot?
Crispi's size chart puts a 42EU at a 9US...

I have tried on an Alaska 42EU and they just fit- a tad short on my left foot (a 42.5EU would be better if I could get it!)

Damn it- I thought that EU sizing was consistent- at least in terms of footbed!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:02 pm

lilcliffy wrote: I then asked them whether they actually make individual NNN-BC soles in each size (i.e. 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, etc.) or whether they make them in classes (i.e. 40-43; 44-47; etc.) Ole confirmed that they do make soles in each individual EU size...

Ben- are these two boots the same size inside? Do you normally take a 43EU but a 41EU in an Alfa boot?!
Do both of these boots have the same length footbed?

I just ordered a Svartisen BC in a 42EU- thinking they will be a bit wider than my Alaska BC 43EU (which is really a bit too big). However, I just looked at the TelemarkDown link you posted on the other board and they say they "run large" and suggest that a 42EU is actually a US size 10!!!!!http://www.telemarkdown.com/store/boots ... svartisen/
WTF?! Do I need a 41EU in a Crispi boot to fit my small-volume size 9US foot?
Crispi's size chart puts a 42EU at a 9US...

I have tried on an Alaska 42EU and they just fit- a tad short on my left foot (a 42.5EU would be better if I could get it!)

Damn it- I thought that EU sizing was consistent- at least in terms of footbed!
Thanks for the neat Rotte info, I was thinking about that too lately and came up with those hypotheses which you have just confirmed.

About my 41EU Alfa and 43EU Fisher....no not the same inside. I'm a little tight in the still new Alfa 41EU and a little loose in the Fisher 43EU. There was no way I would have bought the Fisher at size 42 when NEW, whereas I have another pair of Alfa (Quest Advance 75m) which I float in a little now that they are worn in.

Unfortunately EU sizing is not consistent, but probably a little better than US sizing IMO. We have to go back to the source and use foot length (and width) for optimal sizing. MP is the closest bet but we easily get confused there with foot length and footsole (innersole) length.

LC, send me a PM with the measurements of your longest foot in mm. I hear you have a low volume, naroow foot? Let me know how thick a socks you like to wear. Given I have 4 pairs of Alfa at home and have gone through what you are now, I should be able to recommend the right size for you. Cheers.

bgregoire

Re: Nordic Backcountry Telemark Ski Boot Size Conversion Charts Depository

Post by bgregoire » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:16 pm

One more...

Andrew footwear sizing chart found in the following catalogue:
http://www.andrewfootwear.co.nz/docs/an ... esmall.pdf
Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 9.13.43 PM.png