The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: The Finest Nordic Norm (NN) 75mm Backcountry Boots

Post by bgregoire » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:32 pm

"Bre er en kraftig fjellskistøvel i ekte lær.
Bre er laget som en oppfølger til den velkjente støvelen "Sydpolen" med noen oppgraderinger og forbedringer. Fjellskistøvelen passer til 75mm bindinger og har en tettsittende passform med normal lest.
Dette er en stabil støvel med et høyt skaft og en stivere såle for mindre vridninger. Bre passer godt til klassiske og brede fjellski."
- Crispi

So for y'all:

"Bre is a powerful mountain boot in real leather.
Bre is made as a sequel to the well-known boot "Sydpolen" with some upgrades and improvements. The mountain boot is suitable for 75mm bindings and has a tight fit with normal train.
This is a stable boot with a high shaft and a stiffer sole for smaller twists. Bre fits well with classic and wide mountain skis."
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:15 pm

BAM! This just in, hot outta the oven:

Andrew Rifugios at your door within a few clicks!

https://en.aventurenordique.com/andrew-rifugio.html

There is hope! Long live pins!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:24 pm

I have always been a fan of the sturdy 75mm's, in the more traditional style. Not fone of the newer "hybrid" Fisher, rossi, etc. types with molded soles and buckles and gizmos. Currently pleased with my Alaska 75's ( molded soles notwithstanding ).
You'll likely see a pair of Alico's in this category up for sale soon in a US 9.5. Just like the added height of the Alaska's, though the Alico's actually have better torsional response. Much like the Andrews Refugio.

bgregoire

Re: The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

Post by bgregoire » Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:05 pm

Do you live in Europe? Lucky you, you can mail order the Sexy Andrew Zenith here:

https://www.warp-sport.com/andrew-408-zenith-nero/
andrew-408-zenith-nero---3_warp-sport__6784.jpg
Long live Andrew and its totally random worlwide teleboot distribution network!!! The XCD Knights must be behind this!

EDIT - Warp Sport will not deliver outside of the Czech Republic...bummer.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:30 pm

>>>Long live Andrew and its totally random worlwide teleboot distribution network!!!

Thanks so much for your sleuthing! I can't believe the Rifugios are available, what a find, I am definitely ordering a pair ASAP! The Andrew Zenith are wider than Crispi Antarctic, they stretched really well for me, it would be a dream come true for me to get a pair of Rifugios. IMO Andrew is using the best and most durable leather.

*EDIT - they remove VAT automatically when ordering - shipping was 40 Euros for a total of about $340. I can't believe it - FOUR models of Andrews shoes telemark are now available to US buyers! The church bells are ringing throughout the land....Hallelujah! Amen! etc, etc
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:32 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
snow-mark wrote:Some of these Alfa boots boots look very interesting, as do the Crispi. But when I’m going out for a ski that will involve a lot of up and down (I’m in Colorado so plenty of up and down to be had), I’ve had good luck with my Fischer BCX 875s. they don’t seem to be too popular on this forum but they work for me. They desperately need new insoles but that’s the only problem I have after 7ish years.

And when I’m more focused on tour than turn, I’m happy with the Alaskas. The laces tend to loosen too much, that’s my only complaint.
I very nearly bought the BCX875. It is a very cool idea. I am assuming similar to the intent of the Crispi Svartisen (which BTW, should be at my door by now...!)

I was disappointed that Fischer stopped making the BCX875.
Care to write us a review of it in the review section?
They stopped making them? Ugh.

Sure I’ll write a review...

snow-mark

Post by snow-mark » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:37 pm

bgregoire wrote:
fisheater wrote:
Very cool! Will these need to be stretched, or will we be getting some on snow reports this season?
They need a stretch but not as severely as did my Alico Teletours. I have hope they will be out on the snow this winter.

LC, Skaugs Sports' info seem quite unreliable, they are calling the Crispi Antartic the Crispi Alaska! Lol.

From my understanding, the BRE is replacing the Sydpolen in Norway.

I have also understood the difference bw the Antartic and the Sydpolen was the liner&insulative material. I am wondering if the Sydpolen's sole could be a little stiffer?

At some point, there were several complaints about sole delamination (or toe box blowout?) on the fischer BCX875 (or was that the BCX675???). How much additional support does the 875 confer over the 675? The 675 is rated rather poorly by ute magasinet:
https://www.utemagasinet.no/test/sko-de ... llskituren

For what its worth, a pair of fisher BCX875 (2400g) is about a pound more than sydpolens or antartics (1900g).

Ben
My wife skis the BCX 675s (as well as the NNN version) and I think the 875s have more support. Obviously I haven’t skied the 675s since her feet are way smaller than mine but the sole on the 875 is thicker, providing more torsional rigidity. And they have a higher cuff with two ratchet buckles which seems to be more adjustable than the single Velcro strap on the 675s.

I will say that my first pair of 875s failed in weeks (the front of the sole/bill separated from the boot). But the retailer replaced them immediately. This pair has been rock solid.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:06 pm

Nice vid showing how boots are made the Crispi way. There is a couples shots the Norwegian stitching at work. Now that is cool :

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:16 pm

About the unfindable Andrew boots,

I've been told by the new Andrew telemark boot distributors "AVENTURE NORDIQUE" in France that both Andrew and Alico, as we know, are very small shoe producers and they only produce according to shop specific orders. If no store actually goes out of their way so order a run, noone other than customers will be onto them to get these shoes on the shelves.

So friends, its up to us to find a cool store to work with and convince them or stocking new models. With some commitment and time, more Andrew models might be made available! I'm going to start up a poll soon if I can find how to do this on this site to tally prospective buyers here and and identify a preferred many to add to Aventure Nordique's line up for 2020! I'm hoping you are all thinking the mad, the amazing, the fabulous black Zenith! ;)