Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by greatgt » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:57 am

Four of us headed up to Telecamp knowing it would be a "CAMP" day and...it was....Skiing is survival and every drainage is a war zone.....At camp the snow stake read 2.3 feet with temps in @ 8-15o.....Great food Rock and we are scratching our heads as to where the rescue sled is...Help!.....Telewoods after breaking his back is slowly getting back into the woods and man...yesterday was one hell of a workout....He and Telewheels are now wearing helmets....Lost my leather hat but Telewoods found it on his way up down by a stream....which are difficult to cross...Longer the ski the better....Forgot what powder is like but keep the fingers crossed...TM

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:52 pm

Perhaps the sled is loaded with logs and buried in snow up by 3PK? Or was it left at snow-shoe’s after you brought up the door parts last year (or brought back the old tarps)? It could be part of the roof (or the wall) now, I suppose...
Did you count the “correction” factor on the snow stake (a former survey rod; for those who have not been there)? As I recall, it was embedded a foot deep between some rocks...
You do need an evac. Sled up there; that was the only way to get our buddy out after he broke both fibia and tibia when his ankle got stuck between the rocks (of course, he had ignored our warnings that the snow was not deep enough to jump off the tree; and those the camp vole gave him by crawling up his leg).
Bonfire tonight; neighbor has a cannon he shoots off at midnight.

Send photos by email or text; I can post them..here is one from 2014; little mountain... It was glorious!
84AF0D55-D130-4D94-9432-B26998CE85A0.jpeg

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:21 am

It's like things disappeared but are probably under the snow...I mean @ 40 inches at one point we weren't going find anything that was buried....Still think where I had the stake could have competed with Jay peak!!!!!! Our two handled snow shovel has disappeared but me thinks it's gone under....Looking out looks like about three inches of ball bearing wet snow....Have done well with a two man hand saw...Like lumber jacks......Got the fireplace roaring first time this year and combine that with the wood stove made the place pretty warm...Don't know if there is another "Telecamp" like it anywhere...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:17 am

6-7 inches of fluffy powder on crushable grabby crust on boiler....Oh yeah!....The 6-7 inches was more like 3-5 in the woods but the e109's were very fast and ripped a few plates of ice crust and threw it aside....Speed made the skis come around pretty fast but the crust was always there and looking to grab an edge at any time....Still the snow was wonderful and when I got to a field it felt like riding on a cloud....Could run the skis flat and they took off....Nice arcs as the snow blew up around me...Hopefully more to come...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:32 pm

highlands have lots of snow-base with @ 3 inches of powder some of which came last night...Yesterday the crust made for mostly straight shots and a turn out at the end...That's from Telekid, Teleking and I who all skied different places but with the same results....Today with @ half to an inch of new snow and BLASTO it was waaaay better...Don't ask how but today was a ride the skis flat and they would surf around...Wicked! Telekid skied the Rossie bc90 and I had lots of fun on the 109...Getting better and by tomorrow if things work out right we will be in sweet city.....TM

martin2007

Post by martin2007 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:26 pm

Is it a secret where "Telecamp" is located? Sounds like an in-joke that I'm not hip, cool, non-binary, or woke enough to get. It sounds like there's some serious ski-loving going on there, though.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:49 am

Boys will be boys.....and some oldies will continue being boys!!!! "Any man who has no boy in him is no man"....Something like that....Somewhere on this site there could be pictures of "Camp"...When Ron Cole was here, but don't know if LJ burned the threads when Ron was banned...We have two Tarp camps...Both had and have Plexiglas windows with a wood stove....One of the camps TK1 (telecamp one) has a wicked fireplace that is one of the 7 wonders of Teleworld....Built into a ledge and standing at least 15 feet high with a serious draft....We cook on wood in that one...The wood stove is for heat....Also they are situated in places where lots of skiing is done...At TK1 there are ledges downed trees....Gigantic stumps with a fall away that drops you 10 feet...Stuff like that...Fun places where there is nothing but "Boys being boys".....Finally we all love being out in the gonz and these are situated away from any kind of likelihood of being discovered.....A few serious hunters have found it but very few...TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:04 am

martin2007 wrote:Is it a secret where "Telecamp" is located? Sounds like an in-joke that I'm not hip, cool, non-binary, or woke enough to get. It sounds like there's some serious ski-loving going on there, though.
somewhere in the northern VT woods, east of the main of the spine of the Greens, they make you ski in blindfolded so nobody really knows the location!
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Telerock
Ski style: Leather and wool-three pin
Favorite Skis: S-bounds; E-99s, razors
Favorite boots: Asolo extreme

Post by Telerock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:09 pm

You wont need the blindfold on the way out (always downhill on the way out) because you are likely to be blind drunk; and worn out from shooting the powder bowl, flying off the open rock at bald knob above, or trcking to “big bur’. (note: we do not condone drinking while skiing...you may spill the beer).

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:32 am

Still remember going up to camp on a warmer day and Telekid had two poles in one hand and a beer in another....That was GOING UP!!!!! One place is located high up on land owned by Boots.....That one needs a lot of work....The other is in the Highlands of Vermont.....If you find it there is a beer fee.....We have trails all over the place up there and mostly have short sweet downs...Great touring....thousands of acres....Very remote for Vermont...Bring beer and lug it out and all will be revealed...Two weeks ago had some steak and lots of veggies and bacon....Skiing was survival....Getting better though...So Rock when are you going to get your sun weakened sedentary lifestyle up here? Man even this oldie is gonna leave you leaning on a big old Yellow Birch...TM