Alico Ski March Boot

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Re: Alico Ski March Boot

Post by Inspiredcapers » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:17 am

Good Morning Mr. Eater of Fish,

Thank you for directing me to that article. I’ve had some success using the SnoSeal on my Insulated Vibram Men's Trek Ascent FiveToe shoes (still wearing them for running and walking this winter). I’m looking to order another pair, I’m thinking I’ll try out the Zamberlain product and see how it performs on them too. The impact of beeswax on leather Gareth mentioned is something I’d never considered. Good to know and I’m glad I didn’t go ahead with the SnoSeal last night...
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:41 pm

For your sizing information:

A ebay Ski March boot seller has measured the length of the insoles on two sizes for me, here are the results:
The approx lengths are as follows:
SZ 7: 268mm
SZ8: 277mm
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:54 pm

Thanks to Ben's comment on sizing, I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of these boots. I hope the UK 7's are going to work. One comment I noticed in the various threads was how much heavier it was than the Antarctic and Refugio. How much are we talking about?

I guess I'm regressing - Kazama Mountain High/Hierling boots in 1980, through the first Terminators in the early 90's, T1's in the naughties and eventually to the NTN promised land in 2014 or thereabouts However, I am now getting a bit long n the tooth, so more mellow tours are looking like more fun. I have a pair of G3 Stinger waxless skis, which I ski with last generation T3's and I'm going to try the Alico March on those. If it's not enough boot for that maybe a Fischer Excursion 88.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:15 am

Nick BC wrote:Thanks to Ben's comment on sizing, I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of these boots. I hope the UK 7's are going to work. One comment I noticed in the various threads was how much heavier it was than the Antarctic and Refugio. How much are we talking about?
Cannatonic, can you weigh both boots for us?

Keep in mind these alico ski march boots are available in wide (W) and norwal widths, if you prefer one of the other, you can ask the ebay seller for the one you want during the purchase.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:22 am

They are breaking in quite nicely. I was experiencing some pinching in the instep so I started heating up that area with a hairdryer, put on a couple of pairs of heavy socks, laced up snuggly, and did step-ups for about twenty minutes before taking them off. Also used them for snowshoeing a few times. My longest trip ski day on them to date was about 12 miles and whilst my feet were tired they definitely weren’t sore. I tried a different insole but really didn’t like the feel so went back to the whelted insole that came with them. Very satisfied with this purchase.
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:39 am

Nick BC, I really like my Ski March boots. The range of movement is so far beyond what I have in my T-4, it is like comparing the T-4 to an alpine boot. The Ski March is very powerful, so powerful I was surprised when skiing in crud I felt the sole torqueing. All those things are great, a powerful boot that I have turned skis up to 78 mm underfoot, with power, and the wonderful feel of the Vibram sole.
The downside is when I pick up a Ski March and a T-4, they seem to weigh about the same. The main reason I would look at a lighter leather boot in NN, would be to get some snappier action out of the boot sole. The Ski March flexes beautifully, but I believe a lighter sole would offer more kick and glide performance. A good day for me is 15'miles, the weight of the Ski March is not an issue. Kick and glide performance far exceeds the T-4. Comfort far exceeds the T-4. Very powerful, but the sole of a T-4 would not torque in chopped up crud.

I hope this helped. Buying a scale would be very expensive for me. I would need to then keep buying lighter ski gear.

Buda

Post by Buda » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:43 pm

Thanks for the review. These boots are worth a try. Especially at that price.

I think I'm between UK 8 and 9 (I have Teletours in US 9) so I ordered a pair of each in medium width.

I'm hoping the 8s will fit well with a normal ski sock and based on Ben's info:
The approx lengths are as follows:
SZ 7: 268mm
SZ8: 277mm
the 9s should be around 286mm so I'll try to use them as a double boot with 5mm thick felts:
https://www.thefeltstore.com/default.as ... 5BE569226C

There's a good chance that everything won't work so perfectly so I may end up selling a pair.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:31 pm

Buda wrote:Thanks for the review. These boots are worth a try.
the 9s should be around 286mm so I'll try to use them as a double boot with 5mm thick felts:
https://www.thefeltstore.com/default.as ... 5BE569226C

There's a good chance that everything won't work so perfectly so I may end up selling a pair.
Thats a neat idea. If I was doing the same, a double boot, I would order 2 sizes up and definitely WIDE, cause that is 5+5mm on the sides of your feet too. By the way, cheap old leather double boots are relatively easy to find on Kijiji or otherwize these days. The main issue with them (I have temporarily owned two) is they normally weight more than plastic Excursions). Actually I am quite convinced most of them were actually produced by Andrew (check out the EXPEDITION LACES) but rebranded.

http://www.telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.p ... =60#p25151

To my tastes, the only amazing pair of double boots I have seen are my friends old Monashees and those Andrew Articos. All the other "Andrew expedition" laces style boot I have tried are heavy and stiff. The last in those is really voluminous to allow room for a nice liner.

Buda

Post by Buda » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:49 pm

bgregoire wrote: If I was doing the same, a double boot, I would order 2 sizes up and definitely WIDE, cause that is 5+5mm on the sides of your feet too.
I'm sure you're right. My 1st goal is to get one pair that fits well and that's why I ordered the 2 sizes that should be closest. It would be nice if I could use both pairs but unlikely.
I am quite convinced most of them were actually produced by Andrew (check out the EXPEDITION LACES) but rebranded.
That's a good thing!
To my tastes, the only amazing pair of double boots I have seen are my friends old Monashees and those Andrew Articos.
I'm very intrigued by the Articos. The Lundhags Huskies may also be a good warm light boot for walks in the woods. I have the Polar Quest and a couple pairs of single layer (Forest) boots so finding my size would be easy.

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:32 pm

Buda wrote: I'm very intrigued by the Articos. The Lundhags Huskies may also be a good warm light boot for walks in the woods. I have the Polar Quest and a couple pairs of single layer (Forest) boots so finding my size would be easy.
Lundhags boots and pants are EXTREMELY AWESOME. Those Polar Quest look fabulous.
I don't know if they are still making the huskies given they now offer the Guide 75:
https://www.lundhags.se/en/products/kae ... n-75?c=912

Keep in mind these Lundhags 75mm boots cannot be used with pins exclusively, you need cables, or else you risk tearing the sole.