ALFA Quest Dynamic / Kikut Perform GTX NNN-BC Ski Boot Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

ALFA Quest Dynamic / Kikut Perform GTX NNN-BC Ski Boot Review

Post by Johnny » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:46 pm

ALFA Quest Dynamic / Kikut Perform GTX NNN-BC Ski Boots

As some of you know, I buy and sell a lot. I’m a gear head, I can’t help it (I have been working on it a lot lately). I need to try all the cool stuff in the tele world. I buy several pairs of boots and bindings every year, and way too much skis too. But I do not have the time to review everything. In fact, I review only a very few items every year. As some of you know, when I take the time to review something, it’s because it’s really worth it. It’s because the gear is just too good to be ignored. And the ALFA boots are one of these.

I got my hands on a pair of the ALFA Quest Dynamic boots, which for the 2018-2019 season are now called the Kikut Perform GTX. Almost the same boot, different name. I also just got my fifth pair of Alpina Alaska this summer, I am totally sold to them. So as you can imagine, it’s very hard for me not taking the Alaska as my reference boot. I never thought this would happen someday, but I love the ALFA boots even more than the Alpinas, and for several different reasons.
ALFA Quest Advance Kikut Perform GTX.jpg
First of all, comfort. They are just THE most comfortable boots I have ever tried. Ok, I remember saying this about the Alpina Alaska when I first tried them too. I have to admit that the ALFA boots feel even more comfortable than the Alaska. Not sure how I would define the word comfortable, but it’s not related to my feet or the fit of the boot. It’s just the overall feeling, how my feet, body and mind feel with the boots on.

They also fit my feet much better than the Alpinas. The overall width and the toe box is about the same as the Alaskas, maybe a tad narrower. But from the inside, they feel a bit bigger. Probably due to the leather thickness, which is thicker on the Alaska. I think it’s better here to figure the correct size with the original EURO point. I usually wear 10.5 US, but according to Alpina, my Alaska are 8.5 US! And as Ben pointed out earlier, the same seems to apply with Alfa size conversion. Hint: stick to EU!
ALFA ALPINE Boot width.jpg
The tongue on the Alaska always bothered me. It never seemed to fit properly, always moving, or making bumps somewhere, even after years of “training the tongue”. Quite a small annoyance you will say. But after trying ALFA boots… WOW! It’s so damn easy! No matter how you do it or how fast you lace up your boots, the tongue always fits perfectly into place! I know it sounds weird, but I never realized how much the Alaska tongues have been bugging me over the the years until I tried the Alfas. WOW, I love these boots!

Speaking of lacing, I never really got the Alaska lacing pattern. The combination of closed, open and locking eyelets never really worked for me. I always found myself fighting with their lace system, no matter the technique or pattern. Again, not a big annoyance, considering how much I love everything else. BUT... Guys, lacing the ALFAs is a dream! So easy! It takes half the time, and it locks your feet into the boot in a way I never seemed to achieve with the Alaskas. No complex combinations like on the Alaska, just a very simple lacing system like you find on most mountaineering boots. And it works perfectly! At this point, ALFA wins. I am sold already. I feel MUCH better in these boots, tightly laced, with the tongue exactly where it should be every time, securing the feet at it should.

The sole stiffness is not as extreme as the Alaska, which could be called ridiculously stiff. I still consider the ALFA Kikut Perform GTX sole quite a stiff one compared to regular tour-oriented NNN-BC boots. I can squeeze the sole with my hands with some force on the Kikut, while I need a lot of force to squeeze the Alaska. Actually, while I LOVE the Alaska BC sole for downhill, I find it way too stiff for XC skiing. The Kikut sole offers a better flex, while offering the same lateral stiffness as the Alaska. Remember that the stiffer is a sole, the more it can be problematic for heel lift inside the boots. (I have serious heel lift problems inside my Alaska BC, but no problem at all on the Alfa Kikut…)
Alfa Alpina SOLES.jpg
As you can see on the picture above, the sole on both boots look exactly the same. (Alfa on the left, Alpina on the right). Alfa have softer boots than the Kikut, and they have stiffer ones too. The Kikut sits in the middle, as you can see in this chart compiled by Lilcliffy and bgregoire.

According to ALFA, the Kikut is A backcountry ski boot made for moderate to challenging skiing in the mountains and alpine environments. I agree with that. Not too soft for serious and challenging terrain, and not too stiff for longer tours.

THE SCIENCE
The first very scientific test was crushing the toes. For my tests, I had the Alaska in one foot, and the Kikut/Quest Dynamic in the other. Please keep in mind that both boots were brand new, straight out of the box. No break in period for true super-scientific tests.

With a different boot on each foot, I crushed the toes in every direction. Lifted the heels to flex the boots at ball of foot (Crushing the fictitious bellow… 8-) ) They are both stiff soles, but there is definitely more serious stiffness on the Alaska. Not a huge difference though. I was expecting a bigger difference after squeezing them by hand.

For the real test, I just put my S-Bounds on the floor, stepped into the bindings and twisted the boots in every direction. I also asked the wife to stand on the skis to really feel the flex of the boots (A very advanced romantic Yoga posture called the Leatha S-Bandha Asana)…

Laterally, the ALFA is just as stiff as the Alaska. It offers the same lateral control and edging power. Exactly what we expect from this kind of boot. Flexing them forward, the ALFA is slightly softer than the Alaska for a smoother feel. They should be much more comfortable for longer tours. Moving them all around and dancing on the skis like it’s 1999 in the Chic-Chocs, the Alfa is quite softer than the Alaska, but here again, there is not a huge difference. The Alfa is very well built, offering a very interesting support for the overall smoothness of the boot. Very, very interesting.
ALFA vs ALPINA boot height.jpg
The Alaska is a bit taller than the Alfa. The last eyelet is about 1cm lower on the Alfa. Not much, but I could feel the difference. I am very curious to try other Alfa boots. I would really to see where the stiffness comes from in their other models, whether it comes from a stiffer sole, a stiffer cuff or both. Maybe it’s time for me to sell more skis and grab more Alfa boots. Unfortunately, most of my skis are overused and totally worthless.

I would really like to see where they stand in the cold, which one is warmer, as this is always a bit problematic for my old feet. Alfa's thermal insulating midsole sounds very cool to me. But that would have to be tested later in the season.

I bought both pairs brand new, thinking I would compare them side by side, keep the pair I like best and sell the other. And honestly, I just cannot decide. Yes, the Alaska is stiffer. But stiffer doesn’t mean better. For reference, I bought my softer Alpina BC-1550 and T5 boots after buying my first pair of Alaska BC. It all depends on what you plan to do. I just want to ski, that’s all. I can’t decide. You should see a pair of brand new boots for sale in the TeleTurnAround section soon. Either a pair of Alaska BC or a very nice pair of Alfa Quest Dynamic.

"A backcountry ski boot made from full grain leather for moderate to challenging skiing in the mountains and alpine environments. Developed with a focus on the highest comfort and the ability to withstand cold temperatures. The boot has a winter lining with GORE-TEX®, a thermal insulating midsole, as well as an anatomical insole. Extra toe reinforcements protect the leather from sharp edges."

ALFA Quest Advance / Kikut Perform GTX Ski Boot:
Alfa-Kikut-Ratio.png
Cross-Country: 70/100
Downhill: 70/100
Retail: 300$ USD
https://alfaoutdoor.com/shop/ski-boots/ ... form-gtx-m

Similar boots:
Alpina Alaska BC:
AlaskaBC-Ratio.png
Cross-Country: 40/100
Downhill: 90/100
Retail: 250$ USD

Alpina Alaska 75:
Alaska75-Ratio.png
Cross-Country: 70/100
Downhill: 80/100
Retail: 250$ USD

Alpina BC-1550:
Alaska1550-Ratio.png
Cross-Country: 80/100
Downhill: 40/100
Retail: 150$ USD
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: ALFA Quest Advance / Kikut Perform GTX NNN-BC Ski Boot Review

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:43 pm

Wicked.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:35 am

EDIT: Added the A75 and the 1550 to compare... 8-)

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:41 am

I love your scale bar and the scoring system!

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:49 am

Hey, it's actually your scoring system... 8-)

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:22 am

Click to zoom...
Please ALFA, make a Porpora version for men...! 8-)
ALFA KIKUT Page 1.jpg
ALFA KIKUT Page 2.jpg

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: ALFA Quest Dynamic / Kikut Perform GTX NNN-BC Ski Boot Review

Post by bgregoire » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:52 pm

Well I had my Quest Dynamics our for my second day of BC ski touring. Again, I am impressed with how well the lacing system is slick and stays tight. However, just like my Quest Advance (Svarket), the leather on these boots is very supple, soft, in a way its a good thing cause these boot will conform nicely to my wide feet, but I can feel the toebox expand as the kms unfold. After 5kms, it was time to tighten the lacing for the second and last time of the day. I have to do the same with the Quest Advance. I feel super duper stable and connected to my skis with these boots. The insulation material is a little thin compared to the Quest Advance (Svarket). Not a big deal when its mild except that there is little buffer between my heel and the hard retention cup (unlike the Quest Advance which are that much more comfortable & cush). Had a little pain in the back of one foot after 15kms and later found that there was a mini anomaly, probably a folder leather bit, behind the goretex liner, that is surely the cause. I'll be going for thicker socks next time.

Oh and I love the nubuck leather outer, nice construction! I'm sure these will last a long time too.

Anyways, these are real neat boots, great control for touring and light tele moves (on E99s mind you). They are so light and look grrrreat!

If I had neither and had to choose one pair of Alfas though, I would go for the Svarket or the Guard. If I was on a low budget, I'd be more than happy with the Dynamic (Kikut) for day tours and a little or lots more.

God tur!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:03 am

Cooool...! I can only say positive things about the Kikuts!

It's funny though, how the new Guard GTX is a real game-changer for me. Even though I was looking to buy a second pair of Kikuts, I find it quite amazing how the Alfa Guard fills up all my needs, both for the stiff-supportive-aggresive-downhill stuff and the smooth-soft-cool-XC skiing...

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:12 pm

So- I now have a 41EU Kikut in my kitchen!

Though they are really too small for my left foot- I think they will do for a light-duty touring boot.
I am thinking if using them on the track in town actually. I need a new pair of Classic track boots, and I like these waaaay better than the Rossis I have just worn out.

I am thinking of pulling the NNN binding off my track skis and putting a NNNBC- manual on them so I can use these boots.

As far as sizing- the length of this boot seems just right for a 41EU.
42EU should fit just right for me.
The length of the Alfa, Crispi, and Alaska EU sizing appears consistent.
The Alfa is the widest and the largest-volume.

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:48 pm

I am a little bummed out. Went for a 15 km tour on Saturday morning. Mostly skiing across our local large lake. Three inches of fresh powder over top of a nicely consolidated, wind-swept base. Great fast cruising conditions for the USGI's. No steeps, no crazy terrain, nothing weird. Just kick and glide. Looked down to open my bindings when I got back to the truck, and the NNN-BC outsole of my Alfa Performs is beginning to pull away from the leather uppers! Only ~200 km on the boots.

These boots feel and look like very high quality, the fit and finish is tight, and they are incredibly comfortable and light. They have broken in great and they are super comfortable to ski in. They are not the most supportive boot in the world, but that was what I expected when I bought them as a more distance touring boot. Up until now I was very happy with them.

I really hope this was a one-off - my early opinion was very high on the Alfas and their fit works well for me. I sent pictures to the store where I ordered them from. Once I hear back from them, I will send on to Alfa as well.

For now, an aesthetically unpleasant repair with some Goop and then we will see how the rest of the seam holds up. Will report back on how things progress.
Boot 1.jpg
Boot 2.jpg
Boot 3.jpg
Boot 4.jpg
IMG_20190111_1635221.jpg
IMG_20190114_1854294.jpg