Hydration

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Mountain Mitch

Hydration

Post by Mountain Mitch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:15 pm

Over many years of backcountry skiing I have never found the perfect solution to staying hydrated. Do you use water or a sports drink? How much do you carry for a given time or distance? How do you carry it? I’ve used everything from a skin to hydration packs - both bad ideas. Now I just use a collapsible 1L water bottle in my pack but I worry it may leak and, since it isn’t ready to hand, I often feel I don’t drink enough.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Re: Hydration

Post by Rodbelan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:02 pm

You can drink before and after too... Do not worry too much about that...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:16 pm

Rodbelan wrote:You can drink before and after too... Do not worry too much about that...
Rod, what if he is going out for 3 days?

As you are nordic backcountry skiing, I have a really nifty DIY solution for you:
drink - 1.jpg
(Sorry definitely not my best picture)
It's pretty self explanatory, there is a 1L stubby gatorade bottle in there with a pierced lid and a flexible drinking hose stinking out of it. The tube being open ended and not curved over your back, it will not ice up, even in really cold weather. The straw has a lid, a small piece of wood on a string. Its useful when installing the filled water bottle but you don't need to seal the straw shut as you ski. I'll keep a second liter of water in a nalgene with foam insulation in my backpack for the afternoon. And yes, as Rod suggest, I may drink up to a little of water before leaving my cabin for the day. As I don't always have access to liquid H20 when I arrive somewhere, I can't only count on that unfortunately.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Mountain Mitch

Post by Mountain Mitch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:58 am

Very creative solution!

Smitty
Ski style: Bushwhacking
Favorite Skis: Asnes Nansen
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Smitty » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:29 pm

Another great thread idea, thanks Mitch! I have been wondering on a contraption for preventing freeze up on longer trips myself. Great fix Ben, I am definitely going to make a copy!

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:09 am

You are right Ben; going out for a few days is another thing. But I was just reacting to the new injonction about drinking water all the time, even for an afternoon outing. Some suggest 1,5 liters for an half an hour walking... more if the activity is more intense...https://sipwell.com/fr/blog/boire-de-l’ ... e-du-sport :lol:
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:03 pm

Get hydrated before you head out.
I'm not a big fan of Camelback types mostly due to pain-in-the-ass cleaning, and usually have my Nalgene bottle easily accessed in my pack.
If you are peeing yellow, you are not drinking enough.
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:38 pm

1EyedJack wrote:Get hydrated before you head out.
I'm not a big fan of Camelback types mostly due to pain-in-the-ass cleaning, and usually have my Nalgene bottle easily accessed in my pack.
If you are peeing yellow, you are not drinking enough.
I agree with hydrating before you go out. I can usually get in about two hours of skiing before I take a drink on the trail. If I'm only going to be out for three or four hours I don't need to carry more than a pint of liquid. I also prefer to bring some kind of juice instead of water for the added calories. I've had camelback type packs but never liked them. I use empty water or gatoraide type bottles as my nagene bottle are pretty old.

Staying hydrated is important, but if your pee isn't a little yellow it makes it hard to write in the snow.

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:45 pm

reminds me of this: https://youtu.be/7Ios9R9S20c
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 pm

That was a good one Jack. I can't believe I never heard it. I liked the comment by 55grandad.