ALFA Quest Dynamic / Kikut Perform GTX NNN-BC Ski Boot Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
bgregoire
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99, Åsnes Ingstad & Cecilie, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour, Arkos Greenland & Alfa Polar

Re: ALFA Quest Dynamic / Kikut Perform GTX NNN-BC Ski Boot Review

Post by bgregoire » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:40 pm

Nice repair Smitty. I have never seen a NNN-BC sole delamination before, congratulations on being the first! I have a few much older 75mm glued soles delam, but I always blamed that on the 15+ year old glue.

How are they holding up? I'm sure they are fine.

How did you treat the leather? Look rad. Did you use LC's technique with Zamberlan?
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Smitty
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Ski style: Low-Vert Nordic Touring
Favorite Skis: USGI Surplus
Favorite boots: Alfa Perform

Post by Smitty » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:41 pm

bgregoire wrote:How are they holding up? I'm sure they are fine.

How did you treat the leather? Look rad. Did you use LC's technique with Zamberlan?
They are holding up well after the repair, thanks! No additional separation after a few more days of skiing.

I used Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP to treat the leather. It flattened out the nubuck to a dull shine and I love the look. It's a beeswax based treatment, similar to Snoseal. It's what I've used on my hiking and work boots for a while now and I had it on hand, so I gave it a shot on the Alfas. I did pick up a tube of the Zamberlan Hydrobloc last time I was through MEC though - might try it on the next pair of boots.
bgregoire wrote: I have never seen a NNN-BC sole delamination before, congratulations on being the first!
A dubious distinction indeed!

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Woodserson
XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Ski style: Bumps, trees, and steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile Objective and V6, Altai KOMs, Atomic Vantage 85, XC: Gamme 54, Classy Woodies
Favorite boots: T4, Alaska

Post by Woodserson » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:19 am

Nice repair. I just did the same, using Shoe-Goo and a syringe, for my Alpina T20 NNN boots. Same delam where the plastic sole separated from the upper, but in the heel. So far so good. The flexible glue is a good choice. What a bummer.

Smitty
XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Ski style: Low-Vert Nordic Touring
Favorite Skis: USGI Surplus
Favorite boots: Alfa Perform

Post by Smitty » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:45 am

Well, it was a bummer that the Perform sole delaminated in the first place. Then I contacted the retailer with pictures and description - still no response at all. I didn't expect much, but I must admit I was disappointed with not even receiving a "that's a shame, but unfortunately we can't do anything for you".

But then I contacted Alfa directly, and they totally redeemed the situation! They were very helpful, and are sending me a replacement pair, shipped at their expense, no questions asked. They did not even require proof of original purchase - just one additional picture of the tongue tag to verify size and track serial number. I will happily buy Alfa again knowing there is product support like that!