Tele fail

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Tele fail

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:34 pm

That is a shame, and you are right, one bad turn can end tragically.

Slow
Ski style: Lift served/touring for turns. Timid.
Favorite Skis: Head Monster i75 for hardpack.
K2 Sidestash for everything else.
Favorite boots: Scarpa T1

Post by Slow » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:17 pm

phoenix wrote:*snip*

And one more, Slow... personally, I think helmet's are a bit overused/overrated for BC skiing - but that's not a preaching statement, just a little point of view. I do wear one for lift served (mostly because they're warm, dry, and there are lots of bozos out there), but less often in the BC. That said, I did bounce my head off a tree, wearing a helmet, on one side country foray years ago...
I hear you loud and clear.
I guess I've conditioned myself to wear a helmet for any sport that's faster than walking speed. :)
Mostly harmless.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:59 pm

Slow wrote: I hear you loud and clear.
I guess I've conditioned myself to wear a helmet for any sport that's faster than walking speed. :)
I guess that is why you decided to go by Slow?! lol

I'm all with you about helmets and speeding though the backcountry.

Thanks as always fo the great images Lo-fi.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Lest my comment be misunderstood (further)... It was largely for humor, though I don't wear a helmet every time I go for a tour. That said, I DO wear one when the terrain warrants. Not naysaying them, at all. Very thankful to have one on when biking a time or two.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:38 am

Was it the old Dickie, in all his wisdom, saying something about «adapting our speed in trees to the point that it is comfortable to hit one» (not an exact quote).

I wear a helmet too inbound, but not in BC. That is my preference. I am trying to mange the risk. Even if you wear a helmet, you need to do so. That is another kind of risk: risk homeostasis... If by wearing a helmet for exemple you feel real secure, you are at risk. The insurance cie knows about this. General concept... not a singular, individual one.
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:45 am

From what I've read, both the head injury rate and rate of death from head injury have increased since we entered the helmet era of skiing.
Last edited by Cannatonic on Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:16 pm

Cannatonic wrote:From what I've read, both the head injury rate and rate of death from head injury have both increased we entered the helmet era of skiing.
I agree, helmet, goggles, music, and a few bong hits and beers and it's almost like playing a video game.

I only hit my head once, going "fast" on a groomer and had a binding release. Luckily I didn't have a concussion but once could be one too many.

There was one time that I wished I had a helmet on. I was on a run and came to a cliff band. There was a gap in the cliff but it wasn't wide enough to sideslip through so I had to straight line it. It wasn't long but it was steep and there was a lot of exposed rock. It was at this point that I thought " Oh, now I know why people wear helmets"