NNN Down Hill video!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
boby13
Ski style: Intuitive
Favorite Skis: Green FT's, Ingstad, Objective BC, Fischer E88, E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP and I have a love/hate relation with the Alfa Free!

NNN Down Hill video!

Post by boby13 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:27 am

Ok let's start by saying that this was a trilling descent!

It was a nice -5C snowy morning with an overnight 5cm of fresh over some more fresh powder...

The plan was to start at the top of Mont-Tremblant(White peak 875m) and traverse to the Johannsen peak(940m) true the Dawes Ridge trail, then descent on the south-west side of the mountain and across the lake.

Trip stats
White to Johannsen peak: 4.5km, 273m ascent, 208m descent
Johannsen peak to the lake: 6km, vertical drop of 717m (2350ft)
Total trip distance: 12.6km
Vertical drop of the video: 500m

Gear

189cm Fischer Excursion 88 with Alpina Alaska NNN BC

At the beginning of the video the camera is pointing often at my skis but its due to the fact that I crouched a lot because of the deep snow cover that brings the tree branches closer to my head... and also my stylish 1930's retro stance 8-)
Its a long video but I like it!

And also worth mentioning, because I don't see many people doing it or writing about it, I had my 50mm easy skins on all the time during the video, they kept me alive.

https://youtu.be/KMfgBGZaxsQ
Capture.JPG

TreeFallin
Ski style: Hack
Favorite Skis: Madshus Epoch, Asnes Vikafjell
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Re: NNN Down Hill video!

Post by TreeFallin » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:31 am

Fun. Great snow.

Inspiredcapers
Ski style: Erratic
Favorite Skis: Gammes currently at the top of the list
Favorite boots: Transnordics in NNN-BC & 75mm

Post by Inspiredcapers » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:14 am

Very serene. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Skiing…falling downhill…pretty much the same thing for this klutz.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:00 pm

nice video, I love to see what people are doing up in Quebec. This shows our friends out West what it's like - we're bouncing off trees and swimming through branches! we've got pieces of bark stuck in our ears :lol:
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Post by Baaahb » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:06 pm

Interesting! (Yes, a bit long, too.) Seems like you might need a slalom skiers' face protection for that run. So, I have a question...do you think a slightly wider ski and stiffer 75 mm binding would be better for that trip, allowing easier turns, or not, and -- if so -- why not? Really just curious for that Quebecois perspective.

boby13
Ski style: Intuitive
Favorite Skis: Green FT's, Ingstad, Objective BC, Fischer E88, E99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP and I have a love/hate relation with the Alfa Free!

Post by boby13 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:30 pm

Baaahb wrote:Interesting! (Yes, a bit long, too.) Seems like you might need a slalom skiers' face protection for that run. So, I have a question...do you think a slightly wider ski and stiffer 75 mm binding would be better for that trip, allowing easier turns, or not, and -- if so -- why not? Really just curious for that Quebecois perspective.
I think wider skis and especially a stiffer boot binding combo would be easier for sure,

why not?

Because I like skiing on sketchy gear ;)
and also on my outings, often more than half of the time, I'm on relatively flat ground or lots of short up and down hills.

I tried stiffer setup before but I really like the light feeling of NNN bc

aquamogal

Post by aquamogal » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:58 pm

Sweet setup and video, Wife and I have same setup but 179, 169 Excursions. Really love the nnnBC alpina alaska. I have the skins but not used yet waiting for some more snow :)

STG

Post by STG » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:44 pm

Thanks for posting the video: great pow and amazing landscape. With those tight trees, it made sense to use skins to check your speed. I have been using skins on the downhill for years with skinny skis, telemark skis and alpine touring gear when the conditions or terrain warrant extra caution. i don't think using skins on the downhill is on the radar of many backcountry skiers, but it should be.

Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Post by Baaahb » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Good answer! I feel the same in some respects...though my frame of reference is using 3-pins, leathers and a soft light ski like the Fischer Boundless (100 uf?) when others would be on plastic and cable bindings. That looks like an ideal tour for them Boundless.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:26 pm

Salut Boby!

Merci pour ta contribution! Toujours génial de lire les propos d'un autre québécois ici.

Belle neige dans les laurentides! Ici, à Rimouski, ça tombe en malade en ce moment. Laisse moi savoir si jamais tu conte visite le Bas-Saint-Laurent ou la Gaspésie, j'te ferai le tour des beaux spots. 8-)
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM