Really New Skis

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Really New Skis

Post by fisheater » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:46 pm

What length did you go with? It will be interesting to here your thoughts on the weight difference, both in regards to benefits and possible shortcomings. I wonder if lighter gets kicked around more, or if stiffer carbon handles chopped up, wind crusted, etc just as well as a the older design. Having both skis, you would be the one that would know.

rongon
Ski style: Wanderer - XCD, telemark
Favorite Skis: Fischer Rebound (3-Pins), Madshus Annum (Switchback), Elan Ripstick 96 (Switchback X2)
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme, Crispi CXP

Post by rongon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:06 pm

I just got a new-in-wrapper older pair of Vectors with smooth bases, after loving my Vector BCs for the last four seasons. Just like the Vector BCs, I have Switchback X2s on these new Vectors. I took them out for the first time yesterday, skiing the chopped up SnoCone man-made at good ol' Belleayre. Damn, those Vectors are great skis. They're so nimble and light, but then hold an edge so surprisingly well.

I love to take the Vector BCs out into the woods just to wander around at will, not worrying about whether there will be enough straight up/down to be worth the skinning and de-skinning. Just make lots of switchbacks on the ups, enjoy whatever downs I find, go exploring. I love the freedom of it. The one and only problem is when I find myself skiing out on a packed trail. The scales do drag, and the Vector is most definitely *not* a cross country ski. They're s-l-o-w on the packed 'n tracked approaches and exits. But put them in deep soft snow and they're in their element. (And that's where I want to be anyway...)

Anybody ever used kick wax on a pair of smooth-based Vectors? Any luck with that, or is the Vector too wide and stubby to work for that?
--

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:55 am

I use kick wax on K2 Wayback 88s. No probs! Enjoy the Vectors, wish I stumbled upon a pair for cheap!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:15 am

rongon wrote:I just got a new-in-wrapper older pair of Vectors with smooth bases, after loving my Vector BCs for the last four seasons. Just like the Vector BCs, I have Switchback X2s on these new Vectors. I took them out for the first time yesterday, skiing the chopped up SnoCone man-made at good ol' Belleayre. Damn, those Vectors are great skis. They're so nimble and light, but then hold an edge so surprisingly well.
Voile is just killing it. They make really incredible skis, I love mine. The X2 is such a great, simple, lightweight binding too.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 am

"Whenever I do end up back East I look forward to hitting the places I skied 30 years ago, the Daks, the Whites and I'd like to check out some Vermont bc where previously I had only skied resorts"

Al, I'm up in northern VT, near Jay Peak. Lived in the 'Daks for 20 years before moving to VT. If you ever find yourself up this way and could use a connection, let me know.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:57 am

fisheater wrote:What length did you go with? It will be interesting to here your thoughts on the weight difference, both in regards to benefits and possible shortcomings. I wonder if lighter gets kicked around more, or if stiffer carbon handles chopped up, wind crusted, etc just as well as a the older design. Having both skis, you would be the one that would know.
I got them in a 177 which has the same skier weight range as my old 170s. As far as weight savings, I did the math and I think it will be less than 4 oz. per ski. I was hoping for more.

I would expect the Hypers may get kicked around more due to the extra length, but I had zero problem with the old skis so I'm not concerned.
rongon wrote:I just got a new-in-wrapper older pair of Vectors with smooth bases, after loving my Vector BCs for the last four seasons. Just like the Vector BCs, I have Switchback X2s on these new Vectors. I took them out for the first time yesterday, skiing the chopped up SnoCone man-made at good ol' Belleayre. Damn, those Vectors are great skis. They're so nimble and light, but then hold an edge so surprisingly well.

I love to take the Vector BCs out into the woods just to wander around at will, not worrying about whether there will be enough straight up/down to be worth the skinning and de-skinning. Just make lots of switchbacks on the ups, enjoy whatever downs I find, go exploring. I love the freedom of it. The one and only problem is when I find myself skiing out on a packed trail. The scales do drag, and the Vector is most definitely *not* a cross country ski. They're s-l-o-w on the packed 'n tracked approaches and exits. But put them in deep soft snow and they're in their element. (And that's where I want to be anyway...)

Anybody ever used kick wax on a pair of smooth-based Vectors? Any luck with that, or is the Vector too wide and stubby to work for that?
--
Hey Rongon, I was just out on my kickwaxed vectors last week and they outperformed the scales big time. Besides being faster for K&G you will notice quicker acceleration on downhills requiring faster footwork than on the scaled skis.(at least until you get going)

I have been kick waxing all my skis for a long time and it works great. You can get a great kick because of the large size of the "wax pocket." The fastest I've ever gone K&G on level ground was with 110mm under foot powder boards with a four buckle boot and a free pivot binding.

The scales on the Vectors do slow you down but I think less so than other no wax skis. I was out last week and smoked a couple guys on a long lowangle downhill trail. One guy was on e99s, the other on a Fischer otx 78. I thought I was going to have a hard time keeping ahead of them but not the case.

You sound like you like the same kind of skiing that I do and I think you're really gonna like the smooth based skis.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:58 am

I haven't had the skis out yet but I've made a few observations. Compared to my old Vectors I saved about 10 oz.(280gr) per pair while gaining 7cms in length. Not bad but I'd have been thrilled to save a whole lb.

Both pairs are mounted using Voiles boot center recommendation and both pin lines are the same distance from that mark. I was surprised (not pleasantly) that of the 7cm I gained only about 2.7 cm were in the tip and 4.4 cm were in the tail. I wish it were the other way around for more float. I'm not too sensitive about mounting location but I guess I could move them back if I thought I need to.

The other surprise was the scale pattern. The Hypers are 7cm longer but the scales are 10cm longer. Since the old skis climbed so well I would have rather seen the scales not increase by more than 7cm. leaning towards possibly better glide.

These aren't big deal things and I have a lot of confidence that Voile knows what they are doing so I am still optimistic that I will like them.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:15 pm

I was checking out Voiles website and noticed a disclaimer on there Hyper series skis. They are not warrantied if mounted with telemark bindings or quiver killers. I emailed them and they said the disclaimer went up in February and since I ordered mine prior to that I am grandfathered in. They said the problems were mostly with X2s and Outlaws and I shouldn't have a problem.

Be aware of this if you are looking into getting a pair. I lucked out with my timing, I get to save about 12 ounces and still have a warranty.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:00 pm

Surprising that Voile doesn't want to warranty the Vectors for tele mounts, given their long and venerable history in the tele world. Personally, I think I'd go ahead with a freeheel anyway... being very careful with the mount. I don't doubt some bindings will be more prone to stressing the ski than others, as will a bigger, burlier boot.

Just got to fondle a pair in the local shop here last week. Highly impressed! Immediately started thinking how I might swing a pair, but it ain't gonna happen; just went for a pair of Wayback 88's (2nd hand) and Spike Touring bindings, which is a major purchase for me. Nothing in the used market out there; maybe in a few years...

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:33 pm

Phoenix, it's just the light weight Hyper models with the pulonia wood core, the regular models are ok as long as you don't use quiver killers.

They are already mounted with 3pinHW risers with Riva IIs on them.