T2 liners - can these be heated?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
double-0-newb
Ski style: Ski all the things
Favorite Skis: Jak BC, Tacora

T2 liners - can these be heated?

Post by double-0-newb » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:59 am

Have had these for quite some time, and after the last couple of years on hiatus my foot has changed and the right liner is simply too small-short (shells seem fine : can fit a finger in the back of heel when bare foot placed in shell), and before bringing them to a boot fitter here in Montreal who may or may not know anything about tele boots, figured I would ask here. See attached. Boots picture from when I bought them off TelemarkTips member in 2006!
Thanks!
IMG_20190313_121910936_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190313_121904905.jpg
CIMG0680.jpg
IMG_20190128_204313750.jpg

wooley12

Re: T2 liners - can these be heated?

Post by wooley12 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Yes you can reheat. After 3-4 reheats the liners won't expand as much. Feet get longer as we get older.
I question whether a remold will make liners longer.

http://blog.scarpa.com/how-to-mold-your ... ot-liners/
Last edited by wooley12 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:32 pm

Hi newb, check out Intuitions website, specifically "Thermomolding liners using the rice method." It has a list of their liners with time estimates for heating the rice and molding. You will need a substantial toe cap to get the room you need. This method is very easy and only takes a little over a half hour to do a pair of boots. Good luck.

Somebody may chime in if they know if thermomoldable liners were available pre 2006.

double-0-newb

Post by double-0-newb » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:17 pm

wooley12 - Thanks for confirming they can be heated! I think I should have stated "Need to create a small amount of space in the toe box area" as opposed to "make them longer", point taken. I think a 26.5 liner would be too large, and the 26 is a smidge small/short (in other words fits the REST of my foot really well except at the toes; toes not bent, but rubbing).

lowangle al - I had stumbled on that also, thanks!

REI also has this DIY method requiring no toe cap but uses old socks toes instead (cuz I am impatient) - https://youtu.be/8K7fRr-Jbfo

Two follow up questions then;
1 - Intuition suggests (EDIT) wearing (EDIT) nylons, REI suggests ski sox - which would you (EDIT) wear (EDIT)? I would lean towards nylons for my first try, because as stated above, all else is fine in the fit.
2 - Which model of Intuition liners would y'all recommend if I elected to go down that road?
Last edited by double-0-newb on Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:26 pm

Newb, I put the sock full of hot rice in the liner before putting it in the shell so I could feel that the rice got all the way into the toe area.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:33 pm

A few thoughts:
1) As Al has said, you'll want a substantial toe cap of some sort to ensure you're actually gaining room. I've never used socks as a toe cap, but I'd thing you'd need to cut the toes off of a heavy pair of wool socks to gain anything worthwhile. Wiggle your toes while the liner is setting up, to help, again, with gaining the toe room.

2) Read what Intuition says about heating the rice: the wattage of your microwave matters! You can overheat the rice, which will cause problems. With any method of heating, I really believe less is more, though you might consider heating the toe area with a hair dryer (hot setting) to soften that up a little more. Personally, I think the more a liner is heated, the sooner it breaks down/packs out. You might even want to heat just the toe are, say with just a toe fulf of rice,and hair dryer on the outside, rather than the whole liner.

3) I'd fit them with the thinnest sock you might wear skiing - as they pack out you could wear a thicker sock.

4) You may well end up opting for a new liner. Hard to tell from just a photo, but my impression is those liners may be past their prime. As far as which new liner, I highly recommend talking to the folks at Intuition. They are both highly knowledgeable and extremely helpful.

wooley12

Post by wooley12 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:47 pm

Good info above. If all I wanted was room in the toe I would DIY just the toe with toe cap and my heaviest sock. I have Intuition Power Wraps in Root Beer T3's to reduce weight and a Intuition wrap from some 2006 Raichle DH boots in my Dynafit Ones

double-0-newb

Post by double-0-newb » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:59 am

Excellent points above; I will indeed focus my heating and shaping efforts on the toe area as opposed to the whole liner for now.

I should be able to focus on that this evening or tomorrow and will report back with progress, if for no other reason than to have this thread serve as a either a shinning example or horrible warning to others. ;)

I miss my brown T3's , never should have sold them. Oh well.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:17 pm

There are loads of 2 or 3 buckle T2's available used, and cheap, on Craigslists and ebay, if that helps any.

Leo Tasker
Ski style: Uncoordinated but enthustiastic
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme
Favorite boots: Alfa Skarvet

Post by Leo Tasker » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:03 pm

If you don't already have some, think about getting some custom (or off the shelf, depending on your budget) insoles to replace the stock ones inside the liners. These will help to keep your heel back and toes off the front. As others have said, your foot will tend to flatten and widen over time, but by supporting it in a better position, it will be more comfortable and easier to ski.

When I mould people's liners, I do it in a proper boot oven and with 5mm neoprene toe caps under their normal ski socks. This helps to compress the foam at the front while keeping a good fit everywhere else. There isn't really a limit on how many times you can remould closed cell foam liners, it just gets less effective each time! You could also have the toe of the shells punched out, but it's not super easy on Telemark boots.

Be aware that if the T2's follow Scarpa's normal sizing, a 26.5 liner would be too long for your shell anyway, as their size splits are different to other brands - they go 25.5/26, 26.5/27, etc instead of 25/25.5,26/26.5...