Fischer BCX-5 or Alaska BC? Choose wisely

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Underdog
Ski style: Apple orchard

Re: Fischer BCX-5 or Alaska BC? Choose wisely

Post by Underdog » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:47 pm

What about the BCX5 you are looking at- it is not leather?
Yes, the older brown version of the BCX-5 that I have here is leather (lilciffy had asked about the current waterproof model)
And when you say you can take the liner out- do you mean the insole?

Insole. Sorry, I meant to say "insole." I wanted to compare the lasts for the two boots and I could not easily get the insole to slide out of the Alaska. I'd like to have the option of adding a different insole. Now I know that it does indeed come out.
The system of lacing may make a difference over the long haul. The extended lacing across the top of the foot on the Alaska would seem to give it an advantage. With more options in customizing the snugness.
lacing.JPG
Last edited by Underdog on Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:09 pm

The question is simple: do you have the money to buy (keep) the Alaska? If so, go for the Alaska. You won't overpower your skis... I might sound a bit sharp, but I would have like ton encounter sharp opinions when I began skiing. I was mislead a couple of times. In the end, I bought all kind of stuff to figure things out. I am happy to help you avoid loosing your time... But I also understand that someone crappy boots is the other's nirvana. Whatever...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Underdog

Post by Underdog » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:44 pm

Rodbelan wrote:... I would have like to encounter sharp opinions when I began skiing. I was mislead a couple of times. In the end, I bought all kind of stuff to figure things out. I am happy to help you avoid loosing your time...
Why I'm here asking. Thank you Rodbelan. I'm fortunate to have found this supportive community. I have been reading many of the reviews and posts on the Telemark Talk Forum from the last few years by others asking similar questions.

Underdog

Post by Underdog » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:37 pm

After a few hours of wearing the Alpina Alaska, I notice an uncomfortable chafing on the outside of my ankle, below the ankle bone. Is this just a "breaking in" part of the leather boot? Anyone experience issues at this location? Both feet have the same degree of abrasion at the outer part of the foot. Sorry to gross anyone out with my un-socked foot.
ankle bone.JPG

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:55 pm

Underdog wrote:After a few hours of wearing the Alpina Alaska, I notice an uncomfortable chafing on the outside of my ankle, below the ankle bone. Is this just a "breaking in" part of the leather boot? Anyone experience issues at this location? Both feet have the same degree of abrasion at the outer part of the foot. Sorry to gross anyone out with my un-socked foot.
Dude, there is nothing gross about your feet. Man, I cannot even see the abrasion.

I'd just like to mention I fully agree with Rodbelan. Of the 2, the Alaska is the way to go.

About the insoles, The news Alpina BC boots now have an uber well tucked in insole, as you observed. But its tucked in, its not glued. You can pry it out. I actually had to use thin nosed pliers or a table knife to pry a pair out of some Wyomings for my friend. Try pulling them out again.

About the abrasion....experiment with different sock, insole and lacing combinations. Double socks (liner and thicker sock) is almost always a good combo. Darn Tough socks are excellent socks and you may not need a liner with them.

Those leather boots will conform to your feet as you work them out too...give it some time.

If nothing seems to work. Try ezeefit
https://www.ezeefitsports.com/
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Underdog

Post by Underdog » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:55 pm

Great, I'll try these. Never heard of them, they seem popular. I've been wearing Gold Toe cotton blend "fluffy" socks.
sox.JPG

1EyedJack
Ski style: On my butt

Post by 1EyedJack » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:45 pm

^^^
Cotton Kills
bgregoire wrote:......
About the abrasion....experiment with different sock, insole and lacing combinations. Double socks (liner and thicker sock) is almost always a good combo. Darn Tough socks are excellent socks and you may not need a liner with them.

Those leather boots will conform to your feet as you work them out too...give it some time....
In my old Asolo's I go with liners and Bridgedale sox
"everybody's a genius" - albert einstein

Underdog

Post by Underdog » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:20 pm

I did not notice any heel movement in the Alaska.
Still, I may try lacing them differently. The Bridgedale liners are a good deal:
heel slip.JPG
liner soc.JPG

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:26 pm

1EyedJack wrote: Cotton Kills
Absolutely. Number one issue to fix here.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:55 pm

darn tough seemed overpriced for what you get - these are my favorite socks for ski & hike right now - made in Iowa, not Vermont :lol: nice amount of cushion:

https://www.foxsox.com/2099-trailmaster.html

If the boots are a size too big, or you need to fill in space, these are fantastic - THICK cushion:

https://www.foxsox.com/2097-trailhead.html
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)