Voile Objective BC Skis and Super Lite Skins

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Voile Objective BC Skis and Super Lite Skins

Post by Tom M » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:39 am

I've put together a few videos of my impressions of the Voile Objective BC ski. I've been on a few outings with the skis, and I've skied them with the Rossignol BC X-12 and Scarpa T2 boots. Just recently, Voile posted a warning on their website:

"ATTENTION: These skis are intended to be used with AT bindings. Voile Objective BC Skis mounted with telemark bindings or quiver killers are not covered under Voile factory warranty."

They also posted the same warning for the Hyper V6 BC. Sadly I have both. The objective with the 3 pin traverse and the V6 with the switchback X2. I purchased and mounted the skis before they posted the warning. :( If you are thinking about a set of Voile skis, you may want to wait for a new version, as I suspect they will have to beef up the mounting plate for telemark. Anyway, here is a link to my YouTube playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... bFNC1UpHlH
Last edited by Tom M on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Voile Objective BC Skis and Super Lite Skins

Post by bgregoire » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Tom, from what I have read from Al, yours should be covered under warranty given the situation. You could double check with voile if you are concerned. Be well.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:08 pm

bgregoire wrote:Tom, from what I have read from Al, yours should be covered under warranty given the situation. You could double check with voile if you are concerned. Be well.
I sent an inquiry to Voile, and here is their response :

"The mounting pad, unfortunately, turned out to be weaker than
anticipated. A few pullout incidents made us take extra caution so that
our customers don't keep experiencing failures in the backcountry.

While we aren't happy or proud, it's a step towards keeping our
customers safe, as inconvenient as it might be.

If you purchased them before the notice was posted, you will be
grandfathered in under warranty, should you experience a failure."

I'm not really all that concerned. I mounted the bindings myself and hand tightened the mounting screws. They felt very secure. I'm a pretty conservative skier, so I'm almost certain that I won't have any problems. Still, since I posted these videos, I wanted to make sure that others were aware of the issue.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:55 pm

Don't feel bad, Asnes doesn't recommend mounting Telemark bindings on the Tindan 86 which is in the same class weight and width as the Objective. They suggest if you want to mount with a Telemark binding, they recommend Rottefella NTN.
I have had pretty good success with Titebond. I would be very surprised to have a four screw 3 pin HW mount pull out of a poplar core catastrophically without any signs of failure. However I am not venturing into the mountain regions you are skiing in.
I guess it would be nice if Voile would send you a half dozen Voile straps, just in case you needed to get out of the backcountry. You know a couple more than necessary helps sweeten the deal!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:17 am

It's weird that the ultra vector and the V6 are still covered for tele bindings and the Objective isn't. I would think they were the same layup.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:48 am

lowangle al wrote:It's weird that the ultra vector and the V6 are still covered for tele bindings and the Objective isn't. I would think they were the same layup.
All Hyper skis, Vector, V6, etc. AND Objectives are (for the time being) not recommended for telemark. The Obj is a Hyper construction. That being said I've been wailing on mine no probs.

Normal NON Hyper skis are fine for tele.

Voile told me they are scrambling for a solution and are not abandoning telemark like other manufacturers.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:02 pm

I have never worked with paulownia wood...
The wood fiber must not be as strong as aspen?
Don't know but I am thinking this must have something to do with the binding retention of paulownia vs. aspen?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:41 pm

lilcliffy wrote:I have never worked with paulownia wood...
The wood fiber must not be as strong as aspen?
Don't know but I am thinking this must have something to do with the binding retention of paulownia vs. aspen?
That's what they're saying, but the paulonia is still a good wood for skis. I don't think it was a widespread problem, mostly with two certain bindings. I don't think I'm going to experiment with mounting a 3 hole pattern binding directly to the ski, even on my aspen Vectors.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:20 am

Well I purchased some hypervector bcs when they first came out and Voile mounted them with hard wire binding. Now the website says risk of failure and not covered under warranty. Not sure what Im gonna do. I just emailed Voile. Dont wanna be 15 miles from my car and have my binding rip out.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:36 pm

voilenerd wrote:Well I purchased some hypervector bcs when they first came out and Voile mounted them with hard wire binding. Now the website says risk of failure and not covered under warranty. Not sure what Im gonna do. I just emailed Voile. Dont wanna be 15 miles from my car and have my binding rip out.
As mentioned above, you will be grandfathered in. And you prob won't have any problems, and if you're 15 miles from your car you should have a repair kit that takes care of this issue regardless.