skis for making miles

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Cannatonic

Re: skis for making miles

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:00 pm

>>I personally struggle to understand how people get enough grip from scales alone on a truly double-cambered ski with an effective wax pocket...I can get enough grip on ideal snow with my 210cm E99 Crown to XC ski, but I certainly cannot climb ANYTHING.

one way is to go shorter - theoretically your weight should compress the scales down and grip better with every 5mm reduction in length. I've noticed that length makes a bigger difference in waxless skis - with wax skis you just apply wax until you get the desired grip. You compensate for the length without even realizing it.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Buda

Post by Buda » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:30 pm

Johnny wrote:The best skis I know for distance oriented tours:

Asnes Mountain Race 48 Skin
Asnes Mountain Tour 51 WL

Super fast, super light, and both waxless. Think about the Fischer SuperLite series but with more stability and 3/4 metal edges... Similar to the Gamme, but much softer and lighter...
Having spent some time on Fischer Superlites this winter I've been thinking more about these Asnes skis. My son's MRJr are single camber. Do the adult skis have a double camber?
Cheers

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:26 pm

yes
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Buda

Post by Buda » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:55 am

Thanks. I saw your post on the Mountain Tour 51s !