Base Repair for Fish-scale based skis? (Madshus Annum)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
rongon
Ski style: Wanderer - XCD, telemark
Favorite Skis: Fischer Rebound (3-Pins), Madshus Annum (Switchback), Elan Ripstick 96 (Switchback X2)
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme, Crispi CXP

Base Repair for Fish-scale based skis? (Madshus Annum)

Post by rongon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:05 pm

Hey, it's time for skiing! YEAH. So yeah, I went skiing, in the backcountry even. But... I hit a rock (what a surprise), and I gouged a pretty nice hole in my well-loved (and well-used) Madshus Annum skis. It's right in the middle of the fish-scale area, just reaching the wood core.

Does anyone have experience patching a core shot in a fish-scale/extruded base ski like this?

I googled it, and only found articles about how to melt ptex into the gouge, exactly like a sintered base ski. Will this work?

I figure if there's any place on Earth where someone would have done this, it would be here. Any ideas? Thanks to all.
--

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Base Repair for Fish-scale based skis? (Madshus Annum)

Post by bgregoire » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:12 pm

I'd just melt in the ptex like any sintered base ski. I have a ptex solder gun at home. So what if you damage a few scales in the process!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

faceplant

Post by faceplant » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:07 am

I know this is a year late but here goes. Melt the p tex into the fish scale hole. Use a small sharp woodworking chisel to shape a new fish scale. Anal, but it works.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:54 pm

I fill my holes with wax. I just can't be bothered.