Voile Objective BC- good grip, not a full review but thoughts

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Voile Objective BC- good grip, not a full review but thoughts

Post by Woodserson » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:53 am

This Objective (both BC and smooth base) is such a great ski. I have 3 178cm pairs-- a prototype non-scaled demo ski that is stiffer and heavier than the production ski-- I use this one on high angle steeper terrain where I need the power and chattering is not acceptable. I think is has the aspen core. I don't tend to use these frontside due to their stiffness and because I also have the Objective BC and Objective non-BC production retail skis. These have the paulownia cores, are very light, about 1100+grams per ski (dead-on with Voile's specs), and have a medium round flex. I use these inbounds, lower angle BC, and most specifically BUMPS.

Yesterday I decided to give my bum shoulder a test run and skinned up the Tuckerman Ravine Trail with my BC skis. Conditions were warm, with compacted snow base and corn on top. I was able to climb the entire trail on fishscales alone, no dumb skins necessary. It made for a very easy climb with less fatigue. I was also carrying a very light pack, so I wasn't weighing them down with extra pounds. That steep turn coming around by Crystal Cascade needed a few herringbones but not more than 5. Regardless, the BC has very good grip and I was super pleased with the uphill capability. Thumbs up!

On the down (Sherburne Ski Trail... Not the Ravine) they were slow on the wetter flats up high, but whaddyagonnado. However, when it gets steeper and bumped up these skis really come into their own. The Objective is my hands down favorite bump ski that I own. The 84mm waist, the rocker, the nice perfect flex, it's a great combo for an easy to handle bump ski. bumpsbumpsbumpsbumps oooooh I love me some of dem bumps!

I have nothing but good things to say about this ski in almost all conditions under 6-8" of fresh. Anything more and I would like a longer length. Also, it's so light it tends to get batted around a bit in chunder.

After much deep though, I think an Objective with a little more weight in a 183 or 185cm length would be perfect. The weight would add crud busting capabilities, the extra length would keep the tips up in deeper snow (higher profile tips would help too! Christ! Enough of the low profile BS). It would be important to maintain the current flex of the production models. This is my dream ski, if it ever came to fruition. Mid 80 waist, rocker, medium round flex. Not a stiff no-rockered ski like many manufacturers are pumping out in this waist width.

(Asnes Tindan 86 in a 187cm, basically! oh my! I have da fevah!)

Cannatonic

Re: Voile Objective BC- good grip, not a full review but thoughts

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:43 pm

it sounds great, no doubt the convenience of going up & down a trail like that without any fuss or transitions is very cool. If it's steep enough the scales don't slow you down on the descent. My Asnes Nato skis were able to go up that trail w/ the 60mm kicker skins but you have to mess with the skins at the top & bottom. Either way you blow by the people climbing w/ heavy AT gear and full skins.

I've noticed the lightweight skimo crowd skins up the Sherby trail to avoid the masses of sheeple creeping up the Tuck's trail.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:49 pm

Cannatonic wrote: I've noticed the lightweight skimo crowd skins up the Sherby trail to avoid the masses of sheeple creeping up the Tuck's trail.
Yeah and they hide behind blind corners and underneath knolls and are a hazard to skiers who are skiing the Sherb fast and with purpose. It's not as wide as it was in the 30s. Climb up the trail, ski down the Sherb.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:17 pm

I actually enjoy the social aspect of the Tucks trail, my dogs love seeing all the people. it's graded better for skinning too

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:25 am

Cannatonic wrote:I actually enjoy the social aspect of the Tucks trail, my dogs love seeing all the people. it's graded better for skinning too
I feel about the same. I prefer to avoid crowds, but if you can't beat em, join em. Sometime the social aspect does add to the enjoyment.

I haven't skied that trail in 30 years. I did it on XCD-GTs probably with skins but can't recall for sure. How much vert does it climb in how much distance? It seems unbelievable to be able to climb it w/o skins and save energy and time. Lately I've noticed that on steady uphill climbs when I'm getting some glide and keeping a xc k&g rhythm that AT skiers with skins, half my age will keep up or beat me up the hill.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:56 am

I think it's about 2.5 miles up to Hojo's? it climbs 2000 feet over that distance. Mt. Washington is funny, there are mad crowds in certain places but most trails are deserted, the masses of people funnel into a couple spots, you can have peace & quiet or the shit-show if you want :lol: :lol:

here's a great aerial pic of the 2 trails
Agiocochock.jpg

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:20 pm

A thousand feet in a just over a mile is pretty darn good w\o skins. I find with a lot of sidestepping and herringboning I don't go any quicker, and if it takes a lot of arm work I'd be more likely to use skins.

Nice photo Canna, if I recall the Sherbi is on lookers left.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:30 am

Yep. Fun trail, lots of double fall line stuff, tight, good bumps! in the spring. Always a pleasure. Good cut-throughs also to get back to the Tuck Rav trail so you can skip the bottom and then cut back early up high to cut off the last 20 minutes. Then, lap the middle good stuff.

This is from last season on the Sherb, an oldie but goodie! I could watch this all day :P

(I'm on the Objective prototype here, the stiffer one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt7w-SAQ3NA

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:10 pm

Lapping the good stuff on a long run is where no wax skis shine.

gbedford

Post by gbedford » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:16 am

Just returned from a two day tour. Terrain varied from rolling flat to black steep. Snow varied from soft and buttery to crust and icy. Those skis handled it all. They are just so stable and responsive on the down and the pattern works well on the up. Only had to resort to skins for one long steep climb. I ski the 178s
I paired them with voile 3 pin cable traverse bindings and Garmont Excursion boots. Used Voile Super lite skins 80mm with a little bit trimmed around the centre of the ski plus a tail fix. Have experienced too many glue failures in very cold or wet snow conditions.
Voile probably won't like it, but I shaved off 100 mm of pattern at the rear of the ski. Can't tell whether it has made a difference to glide or grip. That tells me that the extra grip wasn't needed.

Anyway I just love these skis. The best general purpose XCD ski I have ever owned. Voile have just dialled a superlative all round compromise of characteristics. Light weight for going uphill. Stiff enough to handle icy conditions but still playful in soft snow. The pattern has good grip but combined with just enough camber not to be noticeable when going down.