The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
User avatar
Woodserson

Rank: XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Posts: 1233
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:25 am
Location: New Hampshire
Ski style: Bumps, trees, and steeps and long woodsy XC tours
Favorite Skis: DH: Voile Objective and V6, Altai KOMs, Atomic Vantage 85, XC: Gamme 54, Classy Woodies
Favorite boots: T4, Alaska
Occupation: Retro Rager-grouch

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

Postby Woodserson » Tue May 07, 2019 9:31 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Woodserson wrote:I am surprised at what happened to The Green Man... :shock:


IDK Woods, All I can see is a wood core fulllength metal edge BC ski that weighs only 825grams at 200cm. Man oh man, I have to chat with Børge Ousland.


I was so nervous that my favorites were going to disappear I didn't even see that! Holy wow! Asnes is just smashing it out of the park. Tindan 86 and possibly Rabb 68 big time on my radar... Tindan 86 in a 187cm for everyday crushing and Rabb 68 for serious BUMPS.

Nick BC

Rank: XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:04 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC, Salomon QST 99 and G3 Stinger XCD
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3
Occupation: Retired Community Planner

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

Postby Nick BC » Tue May 07, 2019 10:00 pm

It’s great to get next year’s catalogue and see what’s coming. However, I was intrigued to read their binding recommendations as you go up in waist width. Up to the Rabb 68 it’s 75mm/bc Magnum/tech, from there on it’s only tech. Perhaps by “tech” they also include TTS and Meidjo/Lynx. Tho’ folks are skiing skis in excess of 68 mm underfoot with 75mm cable bindings with no problems.

Nick BC

Rank: XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:04 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC, Salomon QST 99 and G3 Stinger XCD
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3
Occupation: Retired Community Planner

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

Postby Nick BC » Tue May 07, 2019 10:07 pm

I should also have mentioned that certain tele “gods” are skiing NNN BC on ridiculously wide skis. :D

User avatar
bgregoire

Rank: XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Posts: 1006
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:31 am
Location: Rimouski, Québec
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99, Åsnes Ingstad & Cecilie, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour, Arkos Greenland & Alfa Polar
Website: http://living-laponia.tumblr.com

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

Postby bgregoire » Wed May 08, 2019 6:42 am

Nick BC wrote:It’s great to get next year’s catalogue and see what’s coming. However, I was intrigued to read their binding recommendations as you go up in waist width. Up to the Rabb 68 it’s 75mm/bc Magnum/tech, from there on it’s only tech. Perhaps by “tech” they also include TTS and Meidjo/Lynx. Tho’ folks are skiing skis in excess of 68 mm underfoot with 75mm cable bindings with no problems.


I think that is because those wider skis were primarily designed for AT skiing, as that is what is now most popular in Norway. You could read Crister's answer about the state of norwegian mountain skiing i few posts back. quite enlightening.

Nick BC wrote:I should also have mentioned that certain tele “gods” are skiing NNN BC on ridiculously wide skis. :D


Should they really be adapting their bindings recommendations for 2-3 excentics? :)
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Åsnes1922

Rank: XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:12 am
Location: Voss, Norway
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Occupation: Former Royal Norwegian Special Forces operator and instructor.
Professional ski- and mountain guide, Åsnes employee - marketing and development potato, and outdoors guy.
Website: https://www.asnes.com
Contact:

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

Postby Åsnes1922 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:33 am

bgregoire wrote:
Nick BC wrote:It’s great to get next year’s catalogue and see what’s coming. However, I was intrigued to read their binding recommendations as you go up in waist width. Up to the Rabb 68 it’s 75mm/bc Magnum/tech, from there on it’s only tech. Perhaps by “tech” they also include TTS and Meidjo/Lynx. Tho’ folks are skiing skis in excess of 68 mm underfoot with 75mm cable bindings with no problems.


I think that is because those wider skis were primarily designed for AT skiing, as that is what is now most popular in Norway. You could read Crister's answer about the state of norwegian mountain skiing i few posts back. quite enlightening.

Nick BC wrote:I should also have mentioned that certain tele “gods” are skiing NNN BC on ridiculously wide skis. :D


Should they really be adapting their bindings recommendations for 2-3 excentics? :)



Hi!

You are right.

We have adapted our binding recommendations to the combinations sold on each model in most cases. It does not mean that you can not mount a Voilé Switchback, Medjo, Lynx or any other tele-binding on the skis recommended with Tech. As already written, you can read a bit about the development in Norway in my former post, and based on that I believe you can understand where we're coming from.

All skis with "tech" recommendation can easily be mounted with whatever binding you would like. On the narrower models, we recommend sticking to BC, BC Magnum, Super (75mm) or Voilé 3-pin.

I do a decent amount of skiing with BC Magnum bindings on the Rabb 68 ski for example. And my Falketind 62's are mounted with Voilé Traverse bindings and is my "go-to-ski" for most days.

As for some of the other comments, Gamme 54 is the same ski - just without the Titanal in the tip. This has been replaced with other reinforcement materials to give a more forgiving tip that will lift even better in softer and deeper snow. Other than that, it is all the same. We feel that it handles way better now, and as a bonus, it is lighter than before. Aleksander just skied it for a week at Hardangervidda. filming for the Norwegian TV-show called "all for Norway", and is really happy about it.


With mountainous regards,
Crister @ Åsnes

Nitram Tocrut

Rank: XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:50 pm
Favorite Skis: Europa 99 210 cm (ski old enough to still be named Europa 99 and not only E-99
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska 75 mm
Occupation: Organic vegetable grower and many other things!

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

Postby Nitram Tocrut » Tue May 14, 2019 5:04 pm

Åsnes1922 wrote:
I do a decent amount of skiing with BC Magnum bindings on the Rabb 68 ski for example. And my Falketind 62's are mounted with Voilé Traverse bindings and is my "go-to-ski" for most days.

With mountainous regards,
Crister @ Åsnes


Hi Crister,

I wonder what is new with the FT 62 aside the different graphic?

There was a discussion viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2453 about the differences between the FT62 and the Raab 68 and since you use both it would be great to read a comparaison from an Asnes God ;)

Thank you!

Åsnes1922

Rank: XCD Enthusiast
XCD Enthusiast
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:12 am
Location: Voss, Norway
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Occupation: Former Royal Norwegian Special Forces operator and instructor.
Professional ski- and mountain guide, Åsnes employee - marketing and development potato, and outdoors guy.
Website: https://www.asnes.com
Contact:

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

Postby Åsnes1922 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Åsnes1922 wrote:
I do a decent amount of skiing with BC Magnum bindings on the Rabb 68 ski for example. And my Falketind 62's are mounted with Voilé Traverse bindings and is my "go-to-ski" for most days.

With mountainous regards,
Crister @ Åsnes


Hi Crister,

I wonder what is new with the FT 62 aside the different graphic?

There was a discussion https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2453 about the differences between the FT62 and the Raab 68 and since you use both it would be great to read a comparaison from an Asnes God ;)

Thank you!



Hi.

I just wrote a really long answer to this, but for some reason, it did not post. I will try to rewrite it later. Sorry.

In the meantime, here are a few tips, as the season is a bit on hold:

https://www.en.asnes.com/how-to-store-your-ski-gear-for-the-summer/

With best regards, Crister @ Åsnes

User avatar
lowangle al

Rank: XCD KNIGHT
XCD KNIGHT
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:36 pm

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

Postby lowangle al » Wed May 15, 2019 10:35 pm

That's some good information there Christer thanks for sharing it with us.


Return to “Telemark Talk Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests