NTN boot advice

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Ricky

NTN boot advice

Post by Ricky » Fri May 10, 2019 4:09 pm

I've been skiing some old Garmont Ener-G boots (size 27.5) that fit great and want to get some NTN boots before next season. I have a low volume foot but my foot is not narrow (maybe my heel is narrow, but the ball of my foot isn't). I was wondering if anyone with experience had thoughts on the difference in fit between the Crispi Evo (or World Cut) and the Scarpa TX Pro. I have a custom insole that I use in the Garmont's (to support my arch) so I may not need a boot made especially for low-volume feet. I have extremely sensitive heels, and so I need a boot that won't put any pressure on my heels, as would be the case if the heel lifts at times (fortunately, I've had no problems in boot fit with the Garmont's, which really surprised me). I know the moldable liners in modern boots help a lot with fitting, but I've also found that it really helps to get a boot that fits close to my foot shape. Basically I'd like to get a boot that fits just like my Garmont's, but in NTN.

I've heard that Crispi are better for high volume feet, but I heard the same about my Garmont's, and the Garmont's fit great. So I don't really know what to think.

Related to this, in case I have to order boots, does anyone know how the sizing between my Garmont boots relates to the Scarpa or Crispis? I tried on some Scott Voodoo size 27.5, and they are significantly shorter than my Garmont's. I wonder if the Scarpas and Crispis size the same as the Garmont's, or more like the Scott's.

I'd appreciate any advice from people with experience with these boots. Thanks.

Andinista

Re: NTN boot advice

Post by Andinista » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:10 am

Note: I start with the negative but the conclusion is positive (for those who will only read the first couple lines).

I just started using Evo 27.5 after using Garmont Synergies same size, for many years. Before that I used Garmont Gara. Both Garmonts are wide enough for my foot, which I kind of took for granted, but today there are few wide boots out there. No market where I live, so I have to take the risk of ordering without testing. I read that the Evo is pretty much the widest boot available, at least NTN. Today's Scotts seem to be narrower than older Garmont, so I took my chances with the EVO. Before cooking the liner it was not wide enough (scary..). Volume is higher though, particularly above the arch of the foot and it didn't hold the heel. That was consistent with what I read, but my foot is too wide so I took the risk, guessed it could be fixed somehow. I also read that adding a decent insole could help with width issues: the side wall of the boot is curved, and the wider part is somewhere near the middle, so moving up the foot may help (also with volume issues), and also all the bla bla about better support with an insole. So I got a decent pair of insoles and first try was much better but still needing some extra width. The volume above the arch and at the heel was still a bit high and, before cooking, if I tightened the middle buckle, it would hold the heel but adding too much pressure and pain, unevenly distributed. After cooking the liners, everything came into place. I can tight all buckles firmly but now the pressure is distrubuted evenly. End result: it's the best fit I've ever had.

I've cooked a few liners before but these ones made a huge difference compared to my previous experience. These are the first wrap around type I use, I couldn't say that this is reason though.

Ricky

Post by Ricky » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:06 pm

Thanks for taking the time to write such a detailed and informative post!

It is good to hear that you were able to get the Evos to fit, with your high arch; I suspect my foot is not quite as wide as yours, but my foot is fairly wide and very low volume, and have experienced the problems of having either heel lift or too much pressure and pain from the buckles. I thought the current versions of Evo come with tongue liners, and not wrap around, and I wonder which style liner takes up the most volume. It's good to know that baking the liners makes a big difference in these boots. I'm not knowledgeable about baking liners (I never baked my current Ener-Gs), but I assume I could learn or any ski shop could do it for me. Your post made me feel much more comfortable about getting the Evos.

Andinista

Post by Andinista » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:46 am

You’re welcome
Ricky wrote: It is good to hear that you were able to get the Evos to fit, with your high arch; I suspect my foot is not quite as wide as yours, but my foot is fairly wide and very low volume, and have experienced the problems of having either heel lift or too much pressure and pain from the buckles
I think you should be fine. My arch is not high, the boot felt high, and i experienced the same as you before cooking the liners.
Ricky wrote:. I thought the current versions of Evo come with tongue liners, and not wrap around, and I wonder which style liner takes up the most volume.
That was confusing for me too, I wasn’t sure what I was going to get. I guess it depends on what the store has in stock.
Ricky wrote: Im not knowledgeable about baking liners (I never baked my current Beer-Gs), but I assume I could learn or any ski shop could do it for me. Your post made me feel much more comfortable about getting the Evos.
Put them on the oven at mid to low temperature, 10 min. Then put them on the boot, make sure everything is in place with no wrinkles and wear them for 10 min or so. Tighten more where you want volume reduced and less where you want volume increased. google for videos. Just make sure not to overheat. You can add some volume to your toes for more comfort, I wrap some tissue paper with masking tape.

Ricky

Post by Ricky » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:32 pm

Thanks--that is all very helpful!