Duty on items shipped from Canada to US

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Duty on items shipped from Canada to US

Post by lowangle al » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:04 am

I am in the process of buying a used tent from a guy in Brantford Ontario. He suggested I pay the shipping cost when the package is delivered so there won't be any holdup because of a possible duty that is due. Does anyone know anything about a duty on used items going across the border? The tent is valued at 700.00 Canadian. Thanks in advance.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Duty on items shipped from Canada to US

Post by bgregoire » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:47 am

Over on some other forum, I read someone mention that US duties have a minimum threshold of about 700$USD. Double check that and you should be good to go without duties.

I don't think it being used changes anything. If it was send as a gift though, that you be safer...

However, when us canadians buy from the US, we end up exposing ourselves to duties fees on items worth as little as 20$CAD!!!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:32 am

P1000743.JPG
P1000743.JPG
Thanks Ben, I have another one of these coming.
P1000846.JPG

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Cool, what is that?

Looks like a Bill Mason Campfire tent:
http://www.canoemapscanada.com/custom-g ... tents.html

Bill was a pioneer in the field of recreative canoeing.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:54 pm

That's the tent Ben, mine is 7x7, the one in your link says 5x7. It's a great tent for all climates and seasons. I've used it from the sub arctic tundra to the Everglades to the Alaska Range. It's been great for bugs and heat and I've been out in almost hurricane force winds with it. ( I did have to change the angle one time as it doesn't take wind broads side well.) I also use it in cold weather with a woodstove. My wife and I like it so much we keep Baker tents, which is what this tent is designed from, set up in our yards in Ak. and on the East coast. It makes for a great place to hang out outside and still be able to enjoy the comforts of being inside, especially in bad weather.

Bill Mason is one of my heros, his books had a big effect on my recreational life. With canoe tripping and bc skiing life is good.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:07 pm

From the picture it looks complicated to set up, but it's not. It only takes four stakes or tie down points to set up, in a storm it takes six. It only takes about ten minutes or less to put up, but you can keep tweaking it to make it better or adapt to condition.
470107-R1-03-4.JPG