The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Hello Crister-

Could you give us some more information on your FT62 setup?

Why did you choose the 3-pin Traverse binding and how does it perform on that ski? Do you always use the heel cable? What do you think of the riser plate on a backcountry ski that narrow?

What boot(s) are you using with the FT62 and Traverse binding and why?

What type of snow and terrain are you skiing on with this setup?
Is your skiing mostly downhill focused with this ski, or are you also Nordic touring with it (i.e. XC skiing)?

Thanks,
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:05 pm

I can't speak for Crister but it may be because it is the only light weight 75mm binding with a cable still in production, that I know of. It tours great w/o the heel throws on and is surprisingly capable for the downhill. I used a 3p cable mounted on HW risers on vectors this year and they were more than enough binding even with T4s. The 3p cable set at the lightest setting possible, (just enough pressure to keep the heel levers from popping open) was more active than either 3p HWs or switchbacks set light like I like em.

The Travers is a great option for todays skis. The riser, in addition to dealing with boot out and possibly better leverage has a four whole pattern compared to the three hole of the 3p cable. My favorite binding now is a Riva II mounted on Voile risers which I compared to the 3p cable earlier this year. The 3p cable had better DH performance but the Riva had a smoother more XC feel without having to either put the cables on or take them off for maximum performance.

Hey Crister if you have an old pair of Rivas lying around mount them to the voile risers and see how you like them.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:42 am

What does the FT stand for?.....The 62 is possibly the ski that can ski the downs well but are a bit slower on the cruise?....Could these do the job at a ski area if one went there with them?....Ski in lots of areas with lots of touring.....Always going up to see what there is at the top....AND have a blast on the down mostly with Fischer skis....But being old and not as quick as I once was a bit of a bigger ski might help keep me finding new terrain to ski...Love skinnies but will entertain the idea of a serious downhill BC ski...Are the FT62's that ski....And my wife better not see this!!!! Teleman

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:52 pm

Teleman, FT stands for Falketind, I think that translates to Falcon Peak. The FT 62 is fun on the downhill, with good control. As for skiing the groomed, the ski is a hoot as long as you are skiing on snow. Last winter we went cold to rain. The FT probably isn't the best on glacier base with tilled up snow cone on top. I figured crappy conditions just make the skiing a bit of a challenge. Well I could easily see the alpine skiers didn't have any issues skiing in those conditions, and I did enjoy the challenge of skiing snowcone on glacier conditions on light skis and leather boots. My solution was ski fast. A couple of ribs moved to a new location, and in a separate incident where I took a few stitches, has convinced me to ski heavier alpine skis in alpine conditions. I decent snow the FT 62 is a hoot at the ski hill.
I don't know if you ever skied on a S-bound 112. I find the FT 62 to be far superior both going downhill and traversing the trails. I suggest you talk to Lilcliffy before you buy. They are expensive and Gareth can compare the FT to other skis you would be familiar with. As for me, I am very happy with mine. I bought mine blind, nobody had them here yet. So, perhaps I enjoy mine because it was a big gamble that worked out well for me? I don't know for sure, but I am pleased,

How was sugar season this year?

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:37 am

Sugaring was sweet.....!!....Bout 70 gallons and the place was full of Sugar Children!!!! I shudder to wonder what they are like when they get home....You know how good it is just off the rig....Where did you get the ft-62?....For real unless I got some seriously sharp edges and the Alpine area wash choking with powder probably won't hit ski areas when I can get wonder steep and deep and moderate and easy skiing out in nowhere.....But on an occasion of two it would be nice to run a wider ski in those steeps and trees....and ledges....and.....What size did you get?~...Don't want to short as I have given away those Boundless because they were to short at 179....Figure the 188?.....might be good....I have e99's @ 215-205-109's at 178- and 190....hoping they will give me a lift when skiing bottomless....Any information would be good....Thanks...Teleman

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Teleman, my FT are 188, and for me, I wouldn't want them shorter. However back in the days all skis were pretty straight, I skied 204-205 cm skis. I weigh about 195 lbs. The edges on every Asnes I have ever seen is first rate. The opposite of what came on my Fischer S-112. The Fischer has never been sharpened, because I was afraid to remove any metal, not much to file before it's gone.
As far as where to buy, I ordered mine from Sport Albert in Germany. I typed in my credit card, got an email back in Germain, and wondered if I really screwed up. Those skis came to Michigan from Germany in about a week. I didn't even have a chance to worry too much about what could go wrong. However, they were a bit expensive buying in Euros, and buying the skis an airplane ticket.
If I was buying from a store I would try Neptune Mountaineering first. However, Johnny was talking about ordering a group orderfrom Asnes last year. If I wanted something from Asnes I would contact Johnny first. He may or may not be doing it. He may or may not have room to order more items. I don't think it would hurt to ask. If not Neptune is good. There is also Norseman in Calgary, and LaCordee (?) in the Provence of Quebec (road trip?)
Good luck, and for me the maple syrup out of a bottle is awesome, if it's better fresh I might become the worlds oldest sugar child. I had maple syrup the first time, the first morning I skied in Vermont. No other syrup compares. Maple syrup and pancakes beats any of those expensive athletic energy snacks in my book, and tastes a lot better too!

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:50 am

At the Sugar House I'm kind of an observer....The young ones have passed me by....My new job is to be the oldie curmudgeon.....Have to "keep them straight"....Mostly it's a lot of laughs and some hard work....Splitting and stacking several cords of wood....Firing up the rig and opening the red doors and putting in the wood....The boys and girls collect from 500 or so taps....many still in buckets which the children love....(they drink sap out of the buckets.....really cold and a slight sweet taste....) Some nights can get pretty cold and staying close to the rig is good....Thanks for the information on the FT 62....Will look up Neptune and see what they have....If I see LJ is getting an order will contact but he is pretty busy, I'm sure....TM

Danylewich
Ski style: XC, BC, XCD, Alpine Touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes FT62
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska

Post by Danylewich » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:31 pm

Just read your summer care guide. For steel edges, what are the correct angles to use for filing the base and sidewalls of Asnes Nansens?
Åsnes1922 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 am
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Åsnes1922 wrote:
I do a decent amount of skiing with BC Magnum bindings on the Rabb 68 ski for example. And my Falketind 62's are mounted with Voilé Traverse bindings and is my "go-to-ski" for most days.

With mountainous regards,
Crister @ Åsnes
Hi Crister,

I wonder what is new with the FT 62 aside the different graphic?

There was a discussion https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2453 about the differences between the FT62 and the Raab 68 and since you use both it would be great to read a comparaison from an Asnes God ;)

Thank you!

Hi.

I just wrote a really long answer to this, but for some reason, it did not post. I will try to rewrite it later. Sorry.

In the meantime, here are a few tips, as the season is a bit on hold:

https://www.en.asnes.com/how-to-store-y ... he-summer/

With best regards, Crister @ Åsnes

Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:31 am

Danylewich wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:31 pm
Just read your summer care guide. For steel edges, what are the correct angles to use for filing the base and sidewalls of Asnes Nansens?
Åsnes1922 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:10 am
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Hi Crister,

I wonder what is new with the FT 62 aside the different graphic?

There was a discussion https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2453 about the differences between the FT62 and the Raab 68 and since you use both it would be great to read a comparaison from an Asnes God ;)

Thank you!

Hi.

I just wrote a really long answer to this, but for some reason, it did not post. I will try to rewrite it later. Sorry.

In the meantime, here are a few tips, as the season is a bit on hold:

https://www.en.asnes.com/how-to-store-y ... he-summer/

With best regards, Crister @ Åsnes
Hi!

Te correct answer to this is that it is your choice. You can angle the steel edges the way you want them without any problem.

Here is a good guide:

https://the-raceplace.com/pages/how-to-tune-edges

Most skis are set up for recreational skiers as default.

I like to "take down" or dull the edges just around the taper on a lot of skis, but this is a personal preference.

I hope this was helpful?
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Post by Åsnes1922 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:33 am

greatgt wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:42 am
What does the FT stand for?.....The 62 is possibly the ski that can ski the downs well but are a bit slower on the cruise?....Could these do the job at a ski area if one went there with them?....Ski in lots of areas with lots of touring.....Always going up to see what there is at the top....AND have a blast on the down mostly with Fischer skis....But being old and not as quick as I once was a bit of a bigger ski might help keep me finding new terrain to ski...Love skinnies but will entertain the idea of a serious downhill BC ski...Are the FT62's that ski....And my wife better not see this!!!! Teleman
Yup, as @fisheater said, "FT" is short for Falketind. Falketind was the previous version of this ski. Actually, FT was just a new and shorter name, nothing more.
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway