The Åsnes Thread (News for 2020-2021!)

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Åsnes1922
Ski style: Former downhill & biathlon skier, avid telemarker.
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Ingstad, Åsnes Falketind 62, Åsnes Breidablikk, Åsnes Voss Z'N and Åsnes Fjøro 92
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme Plus, Alpina Alaska BC and 75mm, Alfa Polar and Dynafit Vulcan.
Professional ski -and mountain guide

Åsnes - All things marketing and development potato.

Re: The Åsnes Thread (News for 2018-2019!)

Post by Åsnes1922 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:10 am

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:14 pm
Hello Crister-

Could you give us some more information on your FT62 setup?

Why did you choose the 3-pin Traverse binding and how does it perform on that ski? Do you always use the heel cable? What do you think of the riser plate on a backcountry ski that narrow?

What boot(s) are you using with the FT62 and Traverse binding and why?

What type of snow and terrain are you skiing on with this setup?
Is your skiing mostly downhill focused with this ski, or are you also Nordic touring with it (i.e. XC skiing)?

Thanks,
Gareth
Hi Gareth,

I'm sorry my reply is to delayed, but I have been on vacation and mostly off the grid.
Sure, I can elaborate.

BINDINGS:

@lowangle al could very well be speaking for me, as I choose the Voilè 3-Pin Traverse and the 3-Pin Cable in lack of another good option. It is basically the only option on the market.

It is light, does the job, skis well and can take a beating. All of this which I appreciate. The Traverse is perfect for the Rabb 68 and the FT62 in my opinion. It is also a really good option to the regular 3-Pin Cable on the Ingstad skis.
The nice thing about this binding is that it really takes a beating, and it can always be fixed with a bit of steel wire and dutch tape.

Unfortunately, our good friends at Rottefella do not produce the Riva and Chili bindings anymore and stopped making cables for the Super Telemark binding as well... Rumor has it that they are working on some new and hot stuff though! Stay tuned the next season!

If I were to choose, I would choose the Riva bindings every time! But at this point, I only have two pairs left which have not turned into scrap-metal yet. I love the Riva II and the Riva III bindings!

CABLE:

As for the cable, I always use it when going downhill. For shorter trips in varied terrain, for flats and long traverses - it stays in my backpack.

RISER PLATES:

The riser plates, I guess, has stayed with me since racing telemark during the 90's. There are advantages and disadvantages with riser plates, but I like that I get better edge control and that they help lift you up in deeper snow and in old tracks. I also like the heel risers, and use the lowest one a lot. The highest bar almost never comes to use, so I often remove it. It is handy when pulling a heavy sled or pulk though!

I had an ankle injury and struggled with it for a year some seasons back, and after that, I have used the heel risers more frequently than before. I had to adapt to not put too much stress on my Achilles. I actually found it so helpful that I replaced the heel plates on Rottefella BC bindings with the heel plates and a riser bar from the Voilè 3-Pin bindings. I have kept my BC-bindings like that ever since that.

Also, as a bonus, all the front-3-Pin bindings from Voilè has the same drilling pattern as Rottefella, and I have a lot of old 10mm Rottefella risers laying around. So I use them and saves both the earth and my self money and plastic.

I would choose 10mm risers or the Traverse binding on every ski as wide as Ingstad or wider. It might just be the old brainwashed 75mm telemark racer in my, but I like it...

BOOTS:

I used the Scarpa T4's for years, especially when I was younger, worked as a guide full-time, on glaciers (they fit really well with crampons) and for charging. I still use them quite a bit.

For longer treks, expeditions and when pulling a sled I use the Alpina Alaska boots or a gaiter-type boot.

For most days, I swear to my old Asolo boots. I have a pair of Asolo Extreme Plus that I love and have repaired so many times that I could probably buy multiple new pairs - but they are soo good. I also have a pair of softer and lighter Asolo Morgedal boot that I inherited from my dad. I use the Asolo's about 50/50 and they are my reference for all 75mm boots I try.

TERRAIN AND USE:

I use the FT62 a lot for daylong ski escapades. It handles well in most snow, and here at Voss and at the westcoast, we have a lot of rolling terrain and steep mountains that offer a lot of downhill skiing. It is perfect for that. We also have some mountain plateaus where steeper skiing is necessary during the approach, and the FT62 handles all of this really well. It is, in my opinion, a really good allrounder for this terrain. My option would be to bring the Ingstads, which I do a lot too.

The reason I love the FT62 so much is that is perfect for the terrain surrounding my cabin. It is located just 30minutes drive from my home at Voss, and we need to ski at least 15minutes uphill to it from where we park the car. There is awsome ski-terrain surrounding the cabin, so the FT62 and a pair of hard-charging AT-skis and boots will always be dragged up there. It is a combination of steep alpine skiing and steep forest and playful telemark terrain.
The FT62 is light and handles most terrain and snow, which makes it a really good allrounder, and the AT-skis does the job for the deep and really steep days.
With mountainous regards from,

Åsnes
Marketing | Åsnes | Pomoca | Colltex

ASNES.COM I FACEBOOK LIKE! INSTAGRAM @asnes1922

Active Brands AS
Regimentsvegen 158 | 5705 Voss | Norway

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:01 pm

Great post Crister, thanks, I found the FT62 info very useful, as I’m debating between the FT and the Rabb. Perfect timing!

I too love risers under my bindings, but that’s also from using them for so long on my alpine skis before I got my act together. All my skis except a very few have a riser plate, I find the benefits to outweigh the few disadvantages.

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:08 am

Great to get your input Christer, helps in making choices. When I look at the Voile Traverse though, it's about the same weight as my TTS set-up on several pairs of my skis. I can see the Traverse as being OK if the climb is gradual where stride and glide is possible, but if you need climbing bars then the free pivot of the TTS is a bonus- especially if you're a really old geezer like me.

I am so glad I snagged a pair of Scarpa TX NTN boots (three buckle) when I heard they were being discontinued. They're about 3.3kg, more than a T4, but the dh control with TTS is worth the weight penalty on the up.

You mentioned that Rottefella were working on a new binding. That's great news, the Freedom and Freeride seem to have been eclipsed by Meidjo, TTS and the 22 Designs Lynx. The increased edge control of the tech toe is so much better plus you have total free pivot without additional hardware and weight.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:58 am

Nick, the big downside to TTS is that they don't work with leather boots and I think boot choice in general is also limited. You can also mount a Voile 3 pin cable on a riser that has climbing bars.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:03 pm

I am still totally in love with my FT62s... With NNNBC leathers, they bring me glorious descents anywhere, from steeps to bumps, from frontside groomers to golf courses... The thing is, you don't have to choose... You (and I) need both the 62 and the 68... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:12 pm

Hey Crister,

I think you guys will need to produce an extra batch of FT 62! There so much hype around this skis that I think that just about everyone on the forum will buy a pair :o

I know for myself that after reading Fisheater, Lilcliffy, Johnny and Crister I have decided a couple of weeks ago to buy a pair. Hopefully we will have a lot of snow again... last summer was really dry and hot and we got tons of snow and so far this summer is even dryer and as warm so hoping for lot of snow... and before the snow we are hoping for really good crops so that I can pay my credit card loaded with skis equipment ;)

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:41 pm

Nick BC wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:08 am
Great to get your input Christer, helps in making choices. When I look at the Voile Traverse though, it's about the same weight as my TTS set-up on several pairs of my skis. I can see the Traverse as being OK if the climb is gradual where stride and glide is possible, but if you need climbing bars then the free pivot of the TTS is a bonus- especially if you're a really old geezer like me.

I am so glad I snagged a pair of Scarpa TX NTN boots (three buckle) when I heard they were being discontinued. They're about 3.3kg, more than a T4, but the dh control with TTS is worth the weight penalty on the up.

You mentioned that Rottefella were working on a new binding. That's great news, the Freedom and Freeride seem to have been eclipsed by Meidjo, TTS and the 22 Designs Lynx. The increased edge control of the tech toe is so much better plus you have total free pivot without additional hardware and weight.
I think I would be hard pressed to use the Traverse on a ski where I'm not going to be using my leather boots, that's the appeal. Once I strap on a plastic buckled boot I'm going for cartridges, either the Voile HW or the X2. The Traverse is great at straddling leather boots and plastic depending on what you're doing that day with the same ski. I can take one ski, but two boots and have a different experience.

And as an aside, I, for one, me, not saying this is true for everyone so don't freak out, but I DO NOT LIKE FREE PIVOT. I've had enough years free-pivoting around in my Fritschis and the movement is just wrong, it's not natural, it feels weird. I much, much prefer climbing without free pivot binding, which is why so many of my skis have the 3pin Hardwire toe piece with the X2 cartridges-- natural climbing and power for the down. (works up to about mid-90 waist then X2 Binding... and then I suffer with the dumb free-pivot.)

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:44 am

Woodserson wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:41 pm
Nick BC wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:08 am

I think I would be hard pressed to use the Traverse on a ski where I'm not going to be using my leather boots, that's the appeal. Once I strap on a plastic buckled boot I'm going for cartridges, either the Voile HW or the X2. The Traverse is great at straddling leather boots and plastic depending on what you're doing that day with the same ski. I can take one ski, but two boots and have a different experience.

And as an aside, I, for one, me, not saying this is true for everyone so don't freak out, but I DO NOT LIKE FREE PIVOT. I've had enough years free-pivoting around in my Fritschis and the movement is just wrong, it's not natural, it feels weird. I much, much prefer climbing without free pivot binding, which is why so many of my skis have the 3pin Hardwire toe piece with the X2 cartridges-- natural climbing and power for the down. (works up to about mid-90 waist then X2 Binding... and then I suffer with the dumb free-pivot.)
I hear ya' Woods on the shortcomings of free pivot in some situations. As I said, if stride and glide is optimal for a gradual climb, then free pivot is not the most comfortable experience. However, I live in Vancouver, where the North Shore Mountains don't have a lot of mellow terrain where you can stride and glide. Hollyburn has a mostly rolly polly mellow approach when free pivot is not really required, but the last half steepens so you do need skins and the free pivot is a godsend.

However, I'm thinking a Traverse binding might be in my future to cope with my UK army surplus Alpina boots. I tried to ski them downhill in a Rottefella 3 pin binding on G3 Stinger XCD and it was a disaster. Partly because they sent me the wide boot and I have a narrow Scarpa foot.

Woodserson

Post by Woodserson » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:30 pm

Nick BC wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:44 am
However, I live in Vancouver, where the North Shore Mountains don't have a lot of mellow terrain where you can stride and glide. Hollyburn has a mostly rolly polly mellow approach when free pivot is not really required, but the last half steepens so you do need skins and the free pivot is a godsend.

I get this, I'm not usually skinning up terribly steep things as we usually have more mellow angles we can use to get up to the steep down stuff.

Something to think about, but the Voile HW blue cartridges are pretty weak. I have seen people in leather boots using them. I think it's a smoother action than the Voile cable. While I use the blue toe plate with black X2 cartridges, I am thinking of going stock blue-on-blue for a leather boot set-up. I've never tried it, but something to think about. A little more involved- higher riser, heavier, more weird parts, no easy way to drop the cartridges) than the Traverse (which I use with plastic boots on my 162cm KOMs to great success)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:47 pm

For me I am using the standard 3-pin cable on my Ft -62. I will add that my boot is a heavy, stiff Alico Ski March UK Army surplus boot. I just do not require any extra leverage.
I certainly am not directing anybody to follow my lead. I am just saying with a stiff leather boot, I do not require a riser plate.