A bit of a quandary... Fischer Traverse or Excursion??

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
kniepisler
Ski style: Tele, Alpine and Nordic
Favorite Skis: Rossignol Experience 88's w/Rotte Freerides
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX Comp

A bit of a quandary... Fischer Traverse or Excursion??

Post by kniepisler » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:53 am

Hey all, I'm in need of a little feedback as I'm torn between the Fischer Traverse 78 and the Excursion 88, both in 199cm. I plan to use these skis as my out-the-back-door bushwhackers and manicured rollers setup (local parks, MtVanHo, etc..). As of right now, I'm going to mount them up with Voile traverse 3pins and will most likely grab a pair of Alpina Alaskas for the boots.

My dilemma is that I like the idea of the fatter Excursions as I'm pushing 265 lbs and could use the extra float when I'm breaking trail, but I already have a set of Sbound 98's in 189cm (that I use for more aggressive terrain). In my estimation, the 98s aren't particularly efficient on the flats and small rollers so I want to go with something skinnier for this type of terrain. To boot, I bought my wife a used set of Rebounds in 179cm that I hop on occasionally and really like the way they handle, but they are definitely too short for my weight. The Traverse most closely matches this ski so I'm sure I'd like it.

So I guess what I'm wondering is if the Excursion skis more like the Sbound 98 or more like the Rebound? Is this ski unique enough to justify the expense, or should I add a little more differentiation between the skis in my quiver and go with the Traverse?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Kniepisler
Have gear, will travel

greatgt

Re: A bit of a quandary... Fischer Traverse or Excursion??

Post by greatgt » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:35 am

Rebounds came in 189 but they always broke....We broke every set!!!!! (5).....Great ski though!....Bought a set of e 109's but didn't get to know them after breaking my skull....Expect to ski them this year....a lot!....had my best ski after the Doc says hit your head and you have an hour to live...Heh....So went up to Teleknob.....Couple of hundred verts on @ 5 feet of base and tons of fast deep powde4r on top....Think of Hot Fudge Sunday.....Rebounds from broken sets worked awesome!!!!!!!!..beautiful rounded arcs....Sprayed trees....rode down into dips and released on the lips....Man it was wonderful....And I lived!!!!! Wicked....TM

kniepisler

Post by kniepisler » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:00 am

sounds EPIC!
Have gear, will travel

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:11 pm

I have both skis in a 189cm. My vote is for the Excursion. I like the Excursion better for turning- easier turn initiation and more stable. I used to use the Traverse for going places with less weight, though I wish I had grabbed the 199 and I'm only 155lbs because with the rocker they glide short.

Of course the real answer here is Asnes GAMME 54 in a 210. ;)

Edit again: Kidding aside I find the Excursion to be a more mission-flexible ski and yes you are correct on the flotation aspect. I find that in straight and level travel there is little difference between the Traverse and the Excursion, but I get more things from the Excursion but also that they are heavier.

kniepisler

Post by kniepisler » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:06 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:11 pm
My vote is for the Excursion. I like the Excursion better for turning- easier turn initiation and more stable.

:D

Kidding aside I find the Excursion to be a more mission-flexible ski

:D
This is just the type of feedback I was looking for!

Thanks Woodserson!
Have gear, will travel