Asnes Rabb 68 Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Asnes Rabb 68 Ski Review

Post by lowangle al » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:10 pm

Based on a post by Woodserson about using the Rabb for a resort and a bc ski I started thinking this ski may be a better choice for me than the Ingstad. As far as touring goes I have been going fast enough and far enough on other single camber skis and for the downhill 70mm was a sweet spot for me using either leather or plastic boots. It's thin enough to get on edge easily and wide enough to get through most bc conditions except breakable crust. After reading Johnnys OP how could someone not want a pair?

Verskis, as far as the skis wandering, I think that you will get used to it as long as the DH performance is good enough to make it worthwhile. They should also track better with the excursions than your leather boots.
Nitram Tocrut wrote:By the way, when people refer to corn snow, do they refer to a slushy type of snow?
Slush is melting fresh powder while corn snow has gone through more freeze thaw cycles and has bigger grains. Slush is good to ski as long as it's on a firm base, it has a velvety feel.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:42 pm

lowangle al wrote:Based on a post by Woodserson about using the Rabb for a resort and a bc ski I started thinking this ski may be a better choice for me than the Ingstad.

Slush is melting fresh powder while corn snow has gone through more freeze thaw cycles and has bigger grains. Slush is good to ski as long as it's on a firm base, it has a velvety feel.
I would not use the Ingstad as a resort ski, in my opinion they are too soft... but that might be due to the fact that I am not a great telemark skier... not yet 8-) I own Ingstad and they are great skis but I have a hard time turning them on anything slightly hard... BTW, I am looking to buy a pair of ski for the resort and I considered the RAAB but I kind of think that it is too similar to the Ingstad that is why I am also evaluating the Tindan.

Thank's for the answer about corn snow, that is what I skied on last Friday on a southeast oriented slope after a warm sunny day and the Ingstad were great in corn snow. That convinced me to sell my alpine gear as I remembered how much more fun doing telemark turns were more fun... but you all know about that ;)

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:33 pm

Thanks Nitram but the Ingstad was going to be for touring. I was going to use old skis or pick up some cheap modern skis for the resort. Woods's post made me realize the weak spot in my quiver for a resort ski and the possibility of getting a good resort ski that I can also use in the bc.

Verskis
Ski style: XCD touring on small hills. Heavy tele at resort
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Rabb 68
Favorite boots: Alico Ski March

Post by Verskis » Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:36 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Verskis wrote:

In a perfect world, I would like to have a ski that tracks straight during the kick and glide on hardpack. I would not even need a very snappy kick, as I am quite happy with the Eons on the hardpacked trails. It's just the wandering of the Rabbs that make them slightly annoying on
I suggest you try using the skins in those conditions. That is what I do with my Ingstad and i don’t even take them off to downhill as they slow me down a bit which is good for a beginner telemarker like me ;) I have had the skins for the last 2-3 weeks with our snow conditions varying from crust to “slushy snow” on a hard base. They do wonder for me as I just have to open the door, put the ski on and just go!

By the way, when people refer to corn snow, do they refer to a slushy type of snow?
Martin, thanks for the suggestion, but I have frequently used kicker skins in conditions where the kick wax is a pain in the ass. It doesn't really help with the skis wandering, as I am talking about them wandering sideways, not longitudally. It's not a grip problem, it is a problem of the skis wanting to turn, or rotate (= pivot) when I'd like them to remain dead straight. And sometimes they even slip sideways a bit when I'm doing a forceful kick.
But these problems only exist on a hardpack, not on soft snow.

AL, like you said, I have grown to tolerate these traits in exchange for a sweet downhill performance.
The Rabbs are skis that can go the distance, as long as there are some nice hills to be skied down.
For a distance-focused touring on flat terrain there are much better options, though.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:37 am

My verdict after one season: The Rabbs are freaking awesome. From backcountry pow to frontside groomers, they are truly amaaaaazing. As I have said before:
You know that nice surfy and turny feeling of big, heavy, oversized fat rockered skis? Well, you can now get this same feeling on a super light downsized ski. Nimble enough to be driven by any kind of leather shoes.
Well really, this is exactly what the Rabb 68 is. Totally amazing under any condition. I have never, ever seen before a ski with such a quick reaction time. Just take a deep breath, let go of everything and the Rabb 68 will take you down the mountain like a superstar.

Oh by the way... The Rabb is really THE ultimate XCD springtime ski, from bumps to BC corn.
Having. Too much. Fuuuun.
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

aquamogal

Post by aquamogal » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:55 pm

Anyone try the rabbs with Alpena Alaska and nnnbc ? Thx Marlow

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:02 pm

Yep, this is my exactly my downhill setup for resorts: Rabb68 + Alaskas + NNN
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

aquamogal

Post by aquamogal » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:29 pm

Johnny wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:02 pm
Wow that is a dream !!

aquamogal

Post by aquamogal » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:49 pm

Johnny wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:02 pm
What line did you use for nnn mounting ? and do you like it ?
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1870

I also see this helpful info:
You don’t like wax? Just slap your favorite X-Skin (My favorite is the 40mm RACE) under and you have a nice cross-country ski for any snow condition. Need more traction? Go for the 74mm Access skins and you have a climbing machine, with absolutely no need for long, heavy and sluggish full skins.

Anyone tried these as well ?
https://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/x-skin-58mm-mohair/
https://www.en.asnes.com/produkt/x-skin-58mm-nylon/

Trying to figure out how to get these in a 1172, I have an email into neptune but no response yet.

aquamogal

Post by aquamogal » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:50 pm

ooops thats 172 not 1172 LOL