Backcountry.com suing MI's Marquette Backcountry Ski

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Backcountry.com suing MI's Marquette Backcountry Ski

Post by Woodserson » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:44 am

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/law/onlin ... -big-fight
His usage of Marquette Backcountry Ski "will continue to cause irreparable harm to (Backcountry.com's) rights in the Backcountry Marks and Backcountry Registrations and to its business reputation and goodwill," the lawsuit said.

The legal battle waged by Backcountry.com, whose private equity parent TSG Consumer Partners has $5 billion in assets under management, could be the demise of Marquette Backcountry Ski, which does around $30,000 in yearly revenue with no permanent employees.

Backcountry.com is suing Ollila and Marquette Backcountry Ski for three times his lifetime profit, all legal fees and a penalty yet to be assessed. Because Ollila is named personally in the lawsuit, any property he does not own jointly could be at risk.

This stuff makes me feel gross. It's like Chick Fil A with their advertisement to "Eat mor Chikin" campaign and suing the lonely guy in Vermont that makes "Eat More Kale" stickers (and had been for years prior) because there would be "confusion" and degradation of the Chick Fil A brand.

Backcountry.com/TSG also went after a women's ski clinic called "Backcountry Babes." Nothing like building a future client base like tearing down organizations that provide feeder customers to the larger industry.

Cannatonic

Re: Backcountry.com suing MI's Marquette Backcountry Ski

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:54 pm

Damn, I'll have to find another place to order that $800 Arcteryx jacket :( :(
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

jalp

Post by jalp » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:31 pm

F-the-goat! One of our beloved local used gear stores was also served with notice since they had the word "backcountry" in their name. They changed names, expanded are are doing better than ever! Please everyone support your local new and used gear shops whenever you can.

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:06 pm

Guys, we have a voice when we are united. Asnes has noticed our appreciation for their products. As Cannatonic indicated we spend money on gear and some of it is purchased online.
I am not too fond of many boycotts. There are too many people trying to impose their own petty morality on others. I will start to follow this. Until I find out Backcountry.com backs off the Marquette Ski people, my catalogue purchases will not be from them.
I encourage others here to take the same course. If you feel the same way, please post.
If you think I’m nuts, you can post that too!

sparker1987

Post by sparker1987 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:44 pm

They appear to have backed off but it's still BS, I doubt I'll be ordering from them again

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.snewsn ... jDPAAh0O5o

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:47 am

Sparker, thank you for the update

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:55 pm

Too late for me. I just bought new Alaskas for my wife and myself from Outdoor Gear Exchange in VT, foregoing a discount on Backcountry. No regrets

MSU Alum
Ski style: Old man - New school!
Favorite Skis: Rustler 10
Favorite boots: Crispi Evo

Post by MSU Alum » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:27 am

I'm not in the business of being a conscience for anyone else. I have enough to do to be my own conscience. In this instance, the outflow of outrage was enough to change behavior relatively painlessly - so it was a success.

We're now in the range of retribution, rather than trying to change behavior. By all means, continue to boycott. Here is a list of dozens of entities that one can attack in the interest of continuing this "fight".

List of companies at least partially owned by the capitalist equity firm that's doing this:
http://www.tsgconsumer.com/portfolio

There's also a very nice lady that runs a taco truck in the B/C parking lot that could be targeted.

Just count me out. I'm also not in the "retribution" business.
Last edited by MSU Alum on Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sparker1987

Post by sparker1987 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:16 am

Damn... hurts to see Sweetwater on that list :(

fisheater

Post by fisheater » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:42 pm

MSU Alum wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:27 am
I'm not in the business of being a conscience for anyone else. I have enough to do to be my own conscience. In this instance, the outflow of outrage was enough to change behavior relatively painlessly - so it was a success.

We're now in the range of retribution, rather than trying to change behavior. By all means, continue to boycott. Here is a list of dozens of entities that one can attack in the interest of continuing this "fight".

List of companies at least partially owned by the capitalist equity firm that's doing this:
http://www.tsgconsumer.com/portfolio

There's also a very nice lady that runs a taco truck in the B/C parking lot that could be targeted.

Just count me out. I'm also not in the "retribution" business.
As I said in the beginning I really don’t care for boycotts. There was public outrage, and Backcountry.com backed off.
I am happy “moral outrage” convinced an entity to re-think a position that was causing real harm to hard working people. Usually “moral outrage” isn’t at all about real harm at all.