Altai Kom 162 vs 174

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Altai Kom 162 vs 174

Post by fisheater » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:23 pm

Nitram,
All you need is snow. You will fall in love with the new skis, and will not be looking for new ones.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:18 am

Everyone needs a Kom! :D

(Red devil on the other shoulder)

Martin, where are you located, again? You can always try mine, if I come your way this winter. All my skis are available for trying by anyone I ski with.

yoyoing

Post by yoyoing » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:03 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:23 pm
Anybody know if the Kom will be available on the Canadian store thIs year?
I finally got in touch with Nils and apparently they're supposed to be back in stock late November, so hopefully any day now. I've been trying to get my hands on some since Spring...

You guys have definitely convinced me that the 162 is the right size.
soffa wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:13 pm
I mounted them with 3 pin hardwires (actually 3 pin cables on risers with a set of hardwires from a set of CRBs) using quiver killers as I'd like to consider getting Switchbacks at some point.

How are you liking the hardwires?

I'm still trying to track some down used but no luck yet. I'm interested in setting them loose like lofi does... Do they tour better than than three basic voile cables in this setting? I'm more interested in lateral rigidity on the downhills than having a really active bindin. Hoping this Seyed is better than cables for easy up/tourinh without having to constantly fiddle with things.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:07 am

yoyoing wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:03 am
How are you liking the hardwires?

I'm still trying to track some down used but no luck yet. I'm interested in setting them loose like lofi does... Do they tour better than than three basic voile cables in this setting? I'm more interested in lateral rigidity on the downhills than having a really active bindin. Hoping this Seyed is better than cables for easy up/tourinh without having to constantly fiddle with things.
In case you didn't catch this part in Lo-Fi's post, he is using an older hardwire version that doesn't have pins, so he has to keep the cables on the heels while skiing up or downhill. Unfortunately, Voile does not make this binding anymore, but you might be able to find some used.

soffa

Post by soffa » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:41 pm

I am running 3 pin hardwires so I usually leave the hardwires clipped to the heel riser for touring and rolling terrain and put them on for more sustained downhills. I started with the 3 pin cables and I found that the cable does not add much w/ plastic boots hence my switch to the hardwires. They do the job nicely. I have a pair of the no-pin toepieces which I might try out this year too...

Lo-Fi

Post by Lo-Fi » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:59 pm

Easy in and out, decent freedom of movement for touring, enough support on the downhills, and no fiddling around between the flats, ups and downs:

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:45 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Anybody know if the Kom will be available on the Canadian store this year? I am really not suppose to buy any more skis this year but for that I should stop reading TTalk :o

I wonder if TTalk is not run by skis company and do all this posting so that we buy, buy and buy until our money dry... :o
You really can't blame a forum for any of this madness. Sorry!
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
I should especially stop reading this thread as the Kom’s seems to be the ski I need to ski my backyard forest...
Good idea, them you will have an obsolete pair of Rabbs than you can sell me at a friendly price! :lol:

See ya!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Barclay
Favorite Skis: Altai Kom 174cm
Favorite boots: T4/Excursion

Post by Barclay » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:48 am

Hi,

I recently purchased a pair of Altai Kom 174 with Voile hardwire bindings and this thread really helped me, so thanks.

I skied a pair Kom 162 cm with cable bindings (bought second-hand) for a couple of years, doing everything on them: resort, trails, touring for turns, etc. I was very happy with them, but I'm over 210 lbs so the 174 cm seemed better for me.

So far I only did resort skiing with the 174, but I'm very impressed. T4 boots and hardwire binding seems to be a great match.

Now I'm very eager to try the 174 in deep powder and on the trails. I hope the longer length will provide more glide and better tracking on the flats, but we'll see.

Bottom line: the Kom really changed the way I view skiing. Now it's really hard for me to go out without them because I always have fun when I skied them. They're like a jeep: not great for speed and distance, but playful and «passe-partout».

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:48 pm

fisheater wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:23 pm
Nitram,
All you need is snow. You will fall in love with the new skis, and will not be looking for new ones.
Hi Fish,

This is exactly what I needed to read :D

It's just that i made some new trails in my forest while chopping wood and they look pretty steep to me and I am kind of wondering if I had the right gear for that... but the thing is that whatever the gear I have I still have to earn my turn.

I need to be patient and get a lot of practice and stop thinking about anyone else gear... also i must accept that I am not ready to ski any type of terrain

Thank for sharing your wisdom... but still, those skis look pretty cool :roll:

yoyoing

Post by yoyoing » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:08 pm

Lo-Fi wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:59 pm
Easy in and out, decent freedom of movement for touring, enough support on the downhills, and no fiddling around between the flats, ups and downs:

Living those gifs!