Own Excursion 88. But need more flotation..

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
TheSweed

Own Excursion 88. But need more flotation..

Post by TheSweed » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi, first time writing here :)
Look like a great forum!

So I live in the north of Sweden. Like the Nordic touring/backcountry style. Im not a beginner But aaah Im doing my faceplanta and so on every year :lol:
Ski usually small mountains, hills, rolling hills fire roads lakes.
181cm and 94kg

Use Excursion 88 189cm with NNNbc Rottefella Magnum and Crispi Svartisen.

I like the skies but would like a little more flotation when we have more snow..
Would like to use:
Voile 3-pin Traverse
Crispi Svartisen 75mm(got them but have not use them yet)

I had these on my mind:

What do you think?

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Own Excursion 88. But need more flotation..

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:17 pm

Hello and welcome!!!

I don't know much about the BC100. I was examing the new BC80 and BC100 in my local shop this week.

These are "new" in that they are completely different than the previous BC90 and BC110 which from what I could tell were identical to the Fischer 88 and 112- except with cheap bases and no Easy-Skin attachment.

These new models are definitely lighter and less cambered than the outgoing BC90 and BC110. The Rossi base is still super cheap- extruded and crappy waxless design. (Fischer's Off-Track Crown is insert with high-quality sintered tip/tail is MUCH better!!!!)

I prefer the Annum over the other two in terms of camber and flex- especially when I point them downhill.

The Fischer 112 is stiffer than the Annum- but it has a MUCH better base, a rockered tip- and has the wonderful Easy-Skin attachment.

You are heavier than me, so the stiffer flex of the 112 might suit you better than me.

All three of these skis are narrowly tuned for ideal snow and moderate terrain.

Although I like the downhill flex of the Annum the best- none of these skis have the stability for aggressive downhill skiing- so I think the Fischer 112 is really the best.

Just something to consider-
I don't know what the terrrain and cover are like where you ski- but do you want a short ski?
The reason I ask is that my Asnes 210cm Combat Nato and 205cm Ingstad BC have replaced my 195cm Annum.
They are narrower underfoot than even the Fischer 88/98, but at longer lengths offer just as much deep snow float/stability and are much better XC skis. And my 205cm Ingstad BC- with significant tip-rocker- has a shorter turn radius than both the 195cm Annum and the 189cm S-112.

If you want something as short as your Fischer 88- I am thinking that the Fischer S-112 is the best of the three for your weight as it has the stiffest flex.

Sorry if I am not helping you!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lilcliffy
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:26 pm

Have you considered something even wider- if what you want is flotation?

- Voile Objective Bc/Asnes Tindan/Rossi BC120

or even more?

- Voile Ultravector BC/Asnes Fioro 92/Altai Kom

TheSweed

Post by TheSweed » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:14 am

Good morning!
Thanks so much for the replies😊

Usually we got a good amout of snow. Not crazy deep every year.
I prefer that the are downhill friendly. Becuse pretty tight woods and my little lack of confidence in the downhills. But Im working on my downhill skills :lol: So a shorter ski feel more user friendly in the forest.

I been checking around of some of the EU sites on black friday deals.
I been looking at Annum and Sb-112 mostly.
I dont now how big ski thats working with Svartisen 75mm for ex.
Was thinking to "build" something with them. Practice Telemark lite..
Voile Obj looking really nice but to expensiv and it feels a little overkill were I ski :? Like you say I feel it mybe to much camber on the 112 when you going downhill.. Especially if is soft snow.

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:54 am

Yeah- good point- 78mm underfoot is probably a healthy downhill limit for a boot like the Svartisen...
Though there are a number of skiers I have spoken to that are using skis as wide as the Objective/Tindan with relatively soft leather boots...

I know the Objective/Tindan is pricey- but, if you want a short downhill ski that will give you some flotation- this might be the sweet spot!

One thing to consider is that the Annum has a pretty poor waxless base- I find the grip to be VERY poor on cold soft snow (it is fine on warm, wet snow). I personally have cured this problem by grip waxing my Annums.

Fisheater- on this site- has actually moved from the S-112 back to a narrower ski - Asnes Falketind 62- for touring for turns. I am quite sure he is close to your weight and is very pleased with the FT62 in soft snow.
BUT- clearly a 78mm ski is going to offer more flotation than a 62mm ski...I will let Bob (Fisheater) speak to trade-offs between these two skis...

The other ski is the Asnes Rabb 68. I have never tried the Rabb 68, but my Storetind Carbon at 68mm offers as much float and greater stability than my Annum. The reports I have read suggest that the Rabb has a rounder flex than the Storetind- so it might not be wide enough for you...

Wouldn't it be great if we could test these skis before we bought them?

BTW- what ski length are you considering?

TheSweed

Post by TheSweed » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:16 am

Objectiv and Stortindan sounds nice. Im open for suggestions ;)
I was a little interested in the Rossignol Bc 120 but couldnt find some good deal. They have the older BC 110 but dont now how it is.
This is one of the place a been looking..
https://www.sport-conrad.com/en/cross-c ... ntry-skis/

My friend use Åsnes I think it is the Combat Nato 200cm. He like it "but". Feels like the Fischer 88(189cm)was a little more playful in the woods. So after a while he bought the Madshus Epic. He like it.
So I think his ski was better cross-country ski but my was more fun in the tight woods.

So Im looking and if you find some good deal or if you have some idea about any ski that could work. Just write. The snow is coming now here :lol:

lilcliffy

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:14 pm

I am almost positive that the outgoing Rossi BC110 is a Fischer S-112 without Fischer's high-quality base and Easy-Skin attachment.

The Combat Nato is definitely a more XC-focused ski than the Fischer 88- or, at least the Combat Nato is a more efficient/faster XC ski and the Fischer 88 is shorter, wider and more maneuverable.

The Madshus Epoch is soft and round flexing- just like the Annum- and it is the same width as the Fischer 88/98 underfoot. The Epoch will not give you the support and float you are looking for in deep soft snow- the Annum would be better, especially at your weight.

That new Rossi BC100 is interesting- I handled one the other day- same sidecut profile as the Excursion 88- though lighter and wider...Same width underfoot as the Annum/S112, but less sidecut...

TheSweed

Post by TheSweed » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:10 pm

I was looking and reading about the Åsnes Raab 68 here and on some norweigen site. Light ski turning really good but still could use some cross-country skiing if I didnt getting it wrong.. Aaaah the sounds at least very nice...
That I dont find out is about how is it working with my body weigh /ski size?
And no fishscale I like that under the Rossignol bc 100.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:28 pm

TheSweed wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:10 pm
I was looking and reading about the Åsnes Raab 68 here and on some norweigen site. Light ski turning really good but still could use some cross-country skiing if I didnt getting it wrong.. Aaaah the sounds at least very nice...
That I dont find out is about how is it working with my body weigh /ski size?
And no fishscale I like that under the Rossignol bc 100.
I am just about the same size as you and I just got a pair of Rabb 68 - 188cm mounted with SB X2. I have only tried them once so far before we lost our early snow. I tried them with my T-4 for the XC part and I think they will be fine but don’t expect to do your workout while XCing with those. I only tried them once DH on little snow and they do turn easily even for me. They are really forgiving as you can easily switch to alpine turn. I am looking forward using my Alaska with them in soft snow. I can’t say much more for now but you can read extensive review in the review section. If you pick those skis I would say go for long as it should help for the XC part. I will keep you posted as soon as we got snow...

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:02 pm

Hello Swede, welcome to the forum! As Gareth (Lilcliffy) has written, I skied a S-112 for about 4 seasons as a touring for downhill turns ski, I purchased a Falketind 62 two seasons ago and have not skied the S-112 since. The S-112 is a 189 cm, and the FT 62 is a 188, but it is actually slightly longer.I weigh approximately 88 kilos.
Now one could dismiss my abandonment of the S-112 to my marginal snowpack. I don’t get 30 cm of snow at once every year, however I drive a couple hours north and generally get into a decent snowpack. So while 30 cm is a treat, and I believe the deepest snowfall I have skied is 40 cm of fresh powder. I can say without a doubt, the FT 62 was more fun and pleasurable to ski in those conditions. The S-112 would surf to the surface better in those conditions going downhill, and the FT 62 may be “in” the snow more at 30-40 cm. The FT is on top enough to provide easy turning. The FT 62 is far better on the kick and glide at this depth of snow.
How can a much less wide ski offer such superior kick and glide performance in soft snow? Before I offer a reason, I must add that the FT 62 is far superior on firm snow, or steeper corn. The S-112 torsionally limp like a noodle, with an air core of paulownia compared to a carbon fiber reinforced poplar core. The reason the FT 62 is so much better on the kick and glide is the flex. The FT has an even single camber, alpine type flex, with a small amount of extra tension that creates a was pocket in soft snow. On hardpack the wax pocket will be flat, and you will feel wax drag. The FT also has more rocker than the S-112, so it is supportive in snow of the depth discussed. The S-112’s camber and a half just does not surf to the top in kick and glide. It floats, but not to the top. I find myself lifting a heavy snow covered ski much more commonly on the S-112, where the FT playfully rises to the top, like a porpoise or a dolphin does in the ocean.
On a final note, you need to hear from Verskis on this forum. He skis in Finland and has a Rabb. If I recall he was not happy with the float on the Rabb. Perhaps your snowpack is so deep and light you will want to go fatter? I own a Tindan 86, however I didn’t have a chance to get it out last season. It is more rockered than the FT, as well as stiffer. I think you should shoot Verskis a PM if he doesn’t spot this thread. He may be able to offer an opinion more pertinent to your snow conditions.
Regards,
Bob