Another new Rotte binding

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Another new Rotte binding

Post by fisheater » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35 am

Cannatonic wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:53 pm
very psyched about this development! A thinner cable would be cool too but this provides more options. It looks like the cable is removable with a screwdriver. You can put on your Rifuguios and tackle serious terrain w/ the cable if needed :mrgreen:
Canna, I don’t mean to go on a major thread drift, but where would a Rifugulo be say in relation to an Alico Ski March and a Crispi Antarctic?

Also can somebody with experience on this Rotte cable explain to me how it tours better than a Voile 3-P cable, which I really don’t care for unless the cable is in my pack. I usually am ready for a breather before a downhill, I don’t mind clipping the cables on if I think they will help.

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:42 pm

Johnny,
I had (and mounted a bunch of) Rotte Super Tele's in the 80's; they were the Super Telemark toe piece with a front throw (!) cable... was there a generation between that and the various Chili's with a heel clip?

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:01 pm

fisheater wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35 am
Canna, I don’t mean to go on a major thread drift, but where would a Rifugulo be say in relation to an Alico Ski March and a Crispi Antarctic?

Also can somebody with experience on this Rotte cable explain to me how it tours better than a Voile 3-P cable, which I really don’t care for unless the cable is in my pack. I usually am ready for a breather before a downhill, I don’t mind clipping the cables on if I think they will help.
The Rifugio fits in the middle of the two other boots you mentioned sole stiffness wise.

The ST (Rotte) is a better tourer than the Voile counterparts, and I am not the only one to think this. I won't go into the physics though. The ST + Cable = the best 3pin touring with added beef for the down when required. Good stuff!
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:59 am

Anyone find any in North America, yet? Long...

Nick BC
Ski style: Free heel Resort/Backcountry
Favorite Skis: Voile Vector BC,Trab Altavia and Hagan Ride 75
Favorite boots: Scarpa TX and T3

Post by Nick BC » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:58 am

Woods, I’ve ordered a pair from Telemark Pyrénées and they emailed me yesterday to say they wouldn’t be available until mid December. So it looks like a short wait. Adventure Nordique also has them on their site but not yet available.

I’m planning to mount them with Voile Traverse shims on my G3 Stinger XCDs and ski them with T3’s and Ski March.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:42 pm

phoenix wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:42 pm
Johnny,
I had (and mounted a bunch of) Rotte Super Tele's in the 80's; they were the Super Telemark toe piece with a front throw (!) cable... was there a generation between that and the various Chili's with a heel clip?
Oh! You are right... Mine are the ones with front throw cables too... :?

Woodserson wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:59 am
Anyone find any in North America, yet? Long...
I was ready to order a few pairs for you guys... But at this ridiculous price, I have absolutely no interest at all... :(
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:49 pm

The Rifugio fits in the middle of the two other boots you mentioned sole stiffness wise.

The ST (Rotte) is a better tourer than the Voile counterparts, and I am not the only one to think this. I won't go into the physics though. The ST + Cable = the best 3pin touring with added beef for the down when required. Good stuff!
[/quote]

Thank you Ben.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:58 pm

fisheater wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:35 am

yes Rifugio is between the Antarctic and Ski March - probably closer to Antarctic. This new Rottefella Chili-type binding cartridge looks to have big springs inside, I would expect it to be much stronger tension than the simple Voile 3pin cable and quite a bit heavier too. In fact it looks like Rotte's version of the Voile Hardwire binding. This one offer lowers risers if you want or an option for higher ones which is cool.

Another question - can the heel/cable unit be attached to existing Super Tele bindings???
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Tele2$room2$broom

Post by Tele2$room2$broom » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:00 pm

Cannatonic wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:53 pm
It looks like the cable is removable with a screwdriver. You can put on your Rifuguios and tackle serious terrain w/ the cable if needed :mrgreen:
Or else you would need a grinder... No kidding, you can take them off easy without tools...

Madshus1
Ski style: Mostly BC touring some light tele
Favorite Skis: Epoch 68's/ Eon 62's
Favorite boots: Stil looking,currently Asolo extremes

Post by Madshus1 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:55 am

I love my Rotte ST's but $100 more for cables and a heel throw little steep I'd think when you can buy a set of Voiles with cables for $125 or less.