Sbounds...leathers

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
greatgt

Re: Sbounds...leathers

Post by greatgt » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:50 am

Got standing or leaning or on the ground dead wood and it's now IN under the tarp....Telecamp is ready....Had the stove and fireplace raging and after working did some dogs on the grill...Totally white out there....Rhyme ice with an inch of powder on top.....Ski in was funny with everybody skiing off the trail as it is so different with 3-4 inches of crushable snow....The chain saw was an anchor that tried to pull me down every time I stopped and lucky for me the snow wasn't deep!!!!!! All in all a very productive day....Tracks.....Moose...deer....Fischer....coyote....One human track...what a hunter he must be.....Going miles in a very hostile environment....All water was frozen and it was below zero at first then on the way out 25o.....Telekid...king....wood....snowshoe Donny...Telewheels is out in California drinking wine I guess...TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:51 am

FishE did I see you were coming East?.....If you do please come over to the Northeast kingdom.....Think you would have a good time.....Not much snow right now.....tough conditions....If you get ONE good turn in you feel like you just caught a 20 lb. Brook trout....er....maybe a 14 incher.....Arc on boys....TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:19 am

Two days ago....glacial ice!!!!! For me the mantra was Just don't fall!...Old bones and ice base don't mix....yesterday @ 5-6 inches of seriously dry powder...When you could run them flat....my....the arcs were wonderful....Anything steep and the edges...edges??????....got slippery and surn out skid turns were in....Last night got some more....somewhere around 3-8 I'm hearing....Will break out the 99's or 109's for some easy touring with potential for many turns....At this time low angle is in but we seem to be gaining snow and it got warm yesterday....More dense lower snow....Good!!!!! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Fri Dec 20, 2019 7:54 am

Bout 8 inches....headed on up and then skied in about a mile and a half, all up hill....Easy on a logging road...Snow was great but at five below and the winds blowing pretty good had to be aware....headed into the forest toward a knob and hit some down very carefully....cause....there was a bunch of stuff out there that could bring this old fool down...Wicked couple of arcs....Sooooo good....Skied to the in track and had a pleasant ride down and out....Not to bad! TM

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:01 am

So little snow....but....skiing was wonderful!!!! 3-4 inches of hardpack with consolidating snow even in this cold snap.....My 109's worked well but Telekid on his e99's was a natural wonder...In the air...dips...openings in the forest....Man did he rock!....And the steaks were so tasty.....and the camp is clean and even patched up the shreading tarp....Wood cut....Beer VERY cold.....and the skiing in those conditions was a terrific gift....Man had our last beer on a sunny Dead Moose Pond.....Refreshing.....TM

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:02 am

Sounds epic, gt. For the past few days down in central New Hampshire five inches of dry puff... But zero base. No downhill but makes for dreamy K&G on flat grass fields, Toko blue. As of yesterday... Probably getting crunchy after the warm up yesterday afternoon.

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:59 pm

PERFECT shirtless ski day today... Perfect springtime XCD conditions... Naked days are my favorites... Skin, sun and snow... How can it be better than this?

40+ ski days so far here... November was awesome...
Thank you God... Thank you *so much* for everything...
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:34 am

Johnny wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:59 pm

40+ ski days so far here... November was awesome...
Thank you God... Thank you *so much* for everything...
WHERE do you ski in QUÉBEC? I ski everyday I can but, except for a few days in November, while the early dump lasted, I can only ski in hay fields because of the minimum snow cover. I guess you are skiing in a resort? Or you have this very secret spot of yours? Or you can teleport from where you live to where there is actually snow?

None of those answer... I just found it! It must be the Åsnes fever that has hitted you so hard this year that you are actually dreaming all of this because you are in a delirium :o Lucky you, because of this fever you can actually escape the nightmare non affected skiers are experiencing this winter so far... :(

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:45 am

Slow year here...Bout 20 days in and most of it is lower angle on 3-4 inch of hard base and whatever powder strays this way....Few days back...probably when WoodsP got it down in NH....Storms have been going South or North...But you HAVE to pay homage at all times and then out of nowhere a snow bomb hits....Naked skiing is a gas.....just don't get caught!!!!!! Missed skiing yesterday and that was what I wanted bad.....But got wrapping done and made a big batch of Spaghetti sauce done.....and grocery shopping...while the sun hit 40+ degrees....Today will hit the Highlands for a workout and see where the Moose are....Tough times for Moose....what with Ticks and serious hunting...Telewheels saw 4 up there last week and on the other side of the Gap a small track and a much larger one....Snow conditions could be interesting...Icy?....Crust?....Will see....Figure this out....A large area of Coyote tracks in one place....No blood....no nothing just a coyote fest...Can't figure that out.....TM

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:58 pm

Glad to hear you’re getting out some Teleman. I also wanted to let you know IF, and it’s starting to be a big if, I go East this year to ski it will be with my son skiing lift served. He is not interested in backcountry skiing at all. However I enjoy those lift served outings with him.
As far as a bunch of coyote tracks w/o blood. Do you realize that that a small pack of coyotes will run a hare just like beagles do. They will have “shooters” out front to cut off the hare. Then it’s a quick tug o war, and whoever gets the biggest piece wins!
Back when I ran beagles I could tell when hare were getting pounded by the coyotes, because the race would just get started good then it would break down. I had a smart dog though, Merlin. Merlin would figure out those hare were doing a quick backtrack and squat. Then there would be a big tug o war, and the beagle that got the biggest piece won! Then I would l load up and go down the road and find a swamp without so many coyotes.