When to Drop a Knee

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: When to Drop a Knee

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:01 am

I hope you have wax remover. It's hard to scrape all of that red wax off and the residual that is left can affect glide. If you don't have wax remover try paint thinner, it works for me.

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:10 am

One more thought about switchbacking up your backyard. If your yard is not too long or steep you might want to consider herringboning up w/o kick wax for a smoother downhill run.

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:28 am

I have this citrus sticker remover that cuts the wax really well. I scraped all the red goo off this morning then cleaned the bases with the citrus stuff. I hot waxed polar and then corked on polar. Seems to be back to a nice layer that will allow hard wax to be rubbed on.

My goal is to learn what I need to here in the back yard before I go on a road trip.

I could climb just about any hill I have in mind with a herringbone. I am trying to find a less exhausting way to go up hill. Is wax going to do this for me or do I have to have skins?

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:36 am

Good idea to try it out in the yard. I just did the same and found that my blue extra's not working. Luckily I have the option to switch to scales, although I may try violet.

As far as herringboning I only meant in the yard if the red isn't working, rather than gunk up the whole bottom with red, but if it worked for you go for it.

You may also experiment with sidestepping or preferably a sidestepping traverse. As you traverse step up as well as forward to gain elevation more quickly.

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:40 pm

We got several inches of light fluffy lake effect snow this morning. Then at 1pm or so the sky cleared to a perfect cold blue sky.

Finally!

My problems with wax were a combination of conditions and technique. With the temperature in the mid 20s and rising, and blue wax from heel to tip I headed down to a park with xc trails. Grip and glide. I love it.

Especially off the trail in fresh snow. Climb up and glide down.

It seems like I need to learn to 'read' the snow to see how I should climb. I think I am getting the hang of it.

I understand what you are suggesting now, Al. With the wax there is a whole range of ways to go up, not just straight up, sidestep and herringbone.

Turns out I really like cross country trails when I have a boot that supports my ankle and lets me turn the ski!