Leather Ski Boots & Light Telemark Boots

The ultimate telemark knowledge base and encyclopedia. All you need to know about free-heel skiing. History, technical terms, glossary, how-to's and tips. Just the facts, no opinions. Your #1 place to start for everything tele.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: Leather Ski Boots & Light Telemark Boots

Post by bgregoire » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:33 pm

paulk wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:26 pm
I printed out the entire webpage of Dave Mann's pure genius on XCD about five years ago. I made three coppies. A copy is about 50 pages. If anyone would like a copy, unless it's on the web again, let me know. we can arrange something
Paul, nice offer. Better yet, you should scan it and share it on this forum via its own thread. A pdf can be bound to a post just like an image.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

paulk

Post by paulk » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:04 pm

a scan project for my daughter maybe over school break. i would like to share it.

Baaahb
Ski style: free heel, touring to turning
Favorite Skis: Boundless, Rossy BC-125, Voile Vector, BD Converts......
Favorite boots: Alpinas, Excursions, T-1's

Post by Baaahb » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:42 pm

The big problem here is they don't make a light plastic 2 buckle 75 mm boot. Excursions are much heavier then they *should* be. Maybe it's time to try out the recent T-4. I've always had a "scarpa" foot.

Free pivot is overrated and overused. It absolutely rocks for breaking trail in powder but for an efficient kick and glide you want the ski to start moving forward early in the step, which is what the resistance of 3-pins does...and you get that with an NNN/SNS binding as well, but only if the skis are really light.

I have found that the buckle strap on soft boots makes the fit tighter but really does nothing to impede rolling the ankle, which is what is important for greater turn control, so....no help.

Discuss.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:34 am

Baaahb wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:42 pm
The big problem here is they don't make a light plastic 2 buckle 75 mm boot. Excursions are much heavier then they *should* be. Maybe it's time to try out the recent T-4. I've always had a "scarpa" foot.

Free pivot is overrated and overused. It absolutely rocks for breaking trail in powder but for an efficient kick and glide you want the ski to start moving forward early in the step, which is what the resistance of 3-pins does...and you get that with an NNN/SNS binding as well, but only if the skis are really light.

I have found that the buckle strap on soft boots makes the fit tighter but really does nothing to impede rolling the ankle, which is what is important for greater turn control, so....no help.

Discuss.
Bob, Have you paired a true Thermomoldable liner with those Excursions or T4s? That actually makes them a lot lighter than you would expect. The new T4s are somewhat expensive, but that is essential because of the thermomoldable liner they now include.

I agree with the buckle strap on soft boots issue. I've experienced you need both the instep (not too high) buckle AND stiff tongue to make the difference. Some leather boots got it better than others but still not as well as the plastic shelled ones.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Baaahb

Post by Baaahb » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:47 am

I've played with switching liners a bit. One complication: my foot is narrow and thin so I need to add boot fitting foam to make the Excursions fit.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:12 pm

Baaahb wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:47 am
I've played with switching liners a bit. One complication: my foot is narrow and thin so I need to add boot fitting foam to make the Excursions fit.
I have T4's and a pretty skinny ankle and beginning of foot with a normal fore-foot. The T4's fit great, no heel lift. Excursions fit me weird and loose (at least in the store, never skied in them). I bet you'd need less foam in the T4, it might be worth the expense. I ski everything in mine in New England, Voile V6 + T4 is a sweet tree skiing combination here, no joke. It's a little light for bigger out west/europe mountains, I've found.

I agree, a lighter 2 buckle boot would be nice. Or a boot between the T4 and T2 Eco would be nice too. So that makes two of us for an entire production line.

Baaahb

Post by Baaahb » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:03 pm

Didn't they stop making the T4 for a while? I am pleased to see it in stores and look forward to trying it on.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:41 am

Baaahb wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:03 pm
Didn't they stop making the T4 for a while? I am pleased to see it in stores and look forward to trying it on.
I think you're thinking of the Excursion when Garmont stopped and Scott took over.

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:44 am

I used Garmont Excursions for quite a while, but even with custom insoles was never pleased with fit or the flex for touring. Support was certainly OK. The pair I had was the original boot and thick non-moldable liners, and very soft tongue on the shell.
Lo and behold, when I upgraded from my old Garmont Veloce's to T2 Eco's for lift-service tele skiing, I found they were not much heavier than the Excursions, with a better fit overall, a better touring flex, and of course more support for turning. I did go down a full shell size from the Excursions, so that would explain the narrower wt. difference than advertised...and as an aside, the T2 Ecos are much lighter than those admittedly 20 year old Veloces.
The Excursions were sold on Craigslist after a season comparing the two boots.
If the new Scotts have a moldable liner that would probably help with the fit issues, and a stiffer tongue would probably help with touring flex.
I use the leather Alico SM boot for most touring, but the T2's (formerly the Excursions) for steeper tours and hut trips with bigger packs.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:10 am

fgd135 wrote:
Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:44 am
I used Garmont Excursions for quite a while, but even with custom insoles was never pleased with fit or the flex for touring. Support was certainly OK. The pair I had was the original boot and thick non-moldable liners, and very soft tongue on the shell.
Lo and behold, when I upgraded from my old Garmont Veloce's to T2 Eco's for lift-service tele skiing, I found they were not much heavier than the Excursions, with a better fit overall, a better touring flex, and of course more support for turning. I did go down a full shell size from the Excursions, so that would explain the narrower wt. difference than advertised...and as an aside, the T2 Ecos are much lighter than those admittedly 20 year old Veloces.
The Excursions were sold on Craigslist after a season comparing the two boots.
If the new Scotts have a moldable liner that would probably help with the fit issues, and a stiffer tongue would probably help with touring flex.
I use the leather Alico SM boot for most touring, but the T2's (formerly the Excursions) for steeper tours and hut trips with bigger packs.
FGD, since you have a Ski March boot and I see you are selling an Alico Double can you compare the stiffness of the sole on both boots? I’m also curious if the high stiff, and reinforced leather of the Alico Double would make it less desirable to tour on as opposed to the Ski March.
I really prefer my Ski March in most touring applications to my T-4. If I tent tour, I will want a double boot. The T-4 works. However, I prefer leather when I can use leather.
Thank you,
Bob