Pictures, pictures and pictures!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:04 am

FourthCoast wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:41 am
lowangle al,

I did not count how many times I went up and down before I moved on. I think I slid down maybe three times. Does this count as doing laps or do I have to get up in the double digit range?

It was nice to find a hill that I could climb straight up with wax but still make a few turns on the way down. It would be nice to have something maybe 10x this long with the same conditions.

On Saturday I went out on the backside of a dune in some nearby public land. There is a lot more vertical feet there but the small trees are pretty dense. I never really found anything open enough to link turns together.
backdune.jpg
I guess anything over two runs could be considered laps. When I was learning I'd spend a lot of time on hills similar to that. When I had time to kill I could ski a hill like that down to packed powder, doing every kind of turn I could think of, experimenting with different stances and varying how I pressure the skis.

voilenerd

Post by voilenerd » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:59 pm

Decided to take the day off and do some recon around one area in the Snowy Range Ive always wanted to ski. The common folk lore is no one has ever skied the ridge by the tiny little town of Albany, Wyoming.

In the past when I have scoped out the run; it was always full of large granite boulders and everyone who visits Albany just snowmobiles and passes the ridge looking up in awe. Well not today.

Got in about 20 turns down the steep ridge and was pleasantly surprised! Dropping in I felt the snow hit my knees as I made turns down to the bottom. After looking back at the run, I thought my ski was over but no! I decended through a grove of aspens and lodge poles that were perfectly spaced to make some nice swaying turns back to my car. What a day!
20200218_145046.jpg
20200218_144809.jpg

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:46 pm

voilenerd wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:59 pm
Got in about 20 turns down the steep ridge and was pleasantly surprised! Dropping in I felt the snow hit my knees as I made turns down to the bottom. After looking back at the run, I thought my ski was over but no! I decended through a grove of aspens and lodge poles that were perfectly spaced to make some nice swaying turns back to my car. What a day!
Wrangling Wyoming's Winter Wonderland Was Wistful Without Worry, Wind or Wipeout

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:33 pm

Sweet stuff Voilenerd

Tom, area you adding poetry to videography?

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:37 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:56 am
Krummholz wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:12 pm
This is what happens when it’s fresh 1 to 5 F snow and you used swix Polar wax as a base coat. Then pushed through 2 miles of 6-8” powder. Next time I’ll wait a day or two for it to warm up
Hey Krummholz-
Just curious-
I am wondering how the glide was on the skis in that photo?
From the photo it doesn't look like clumping to me- it looks like grip wax, gripping new snow.
On fresh snow- there should be some snow sticking to the grip wax- it has to in order to get any grip.
So- I am wondering whether your issue was just snow on your base- or whether you were not getting any glide?
I used the Swix V05 Polar kick wax, rubbed on, iron in, scrapped what I could as the wax never would harden even days later outside in the cold. On 20’s F glide was good, as soon as the temp dropped down to low teens after fresh snow, the snow would stick again. Possibly bad (old) wax? Or is it just toooo cold where I live? Last cold days the lows were -8 to -14 F.

High in Colorado,
Jay
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:34 pm

I never ironed mine in, maybe it got too hot.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:25 pm

Krummholz wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:37 pm
lilcliffy wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:56 am
Krummholz wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:12 pm
This is what happens when it’s fresh 1 to 5 F snow and you used swix Polar wax as a base coat. Then pushed through 2 miles of 6-8” powder. Next time I’ll wait a day or two for it to warm up
Hey Krummholz-
Just curious-
I am wondering how the glide was on the skis in that photo?
From the photo it doesn't look like clumping to me- it looks like grip wax, gripping new snow.
On fresh snow- there should be some snow sticking to the grip wax- it has to in order to get any grip.
So- I am wondering whether your issue was just snow on your base- or whether you were not getting any glide?
I used the Swix V05 Polar kick wax, rubbed on, iron in, scrapped what I could as the wax never would harden even days later outside in the cold. On 20’s F glide was good, as soon as the temp dropped down to low teens after fresh snow, the snow would stick again. Possibly bad (old) wax? Or is it just toooo cold where I live? Last cold days the lows were -8 to -14 F.

High in Colorado,
Jay
Hmmm...
Well- I am still getting good glide with Swix Polar as a base treatment at -14F (-23C)- but I certainly don't need any kick wax at that temperature (with a Polar base).

I am still wondering what your glide was like?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:59 pm

IMG_0984.JPG
After some minor repairs I was out getting a different kind of K&G on my antique kick sled last week. It is a great mode of transportation and a lot of fun.

Krummholz
Ski style: Ski trails uphill, Bcuz every trail here is uphill
Favorite Skis: Fischer SB-98, Rossi Alpineer 86, Fischer Europa 99, Altai Hok, Asnes USGI
Favorite boots: Looked and looked, then found true love - Alaska 75s. TN 75 for DH
https://telemarktalk.com/viewtopic.php? ... =40#p49595

Post by Krummholz » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:58 pm

A little skiing on a little hill in the trees in Rocky Mountain National Park

EAA686AF-15B9-4119-8250-DE595E62C637.png
7C462FB2-A9D9-427B-931B-602C02CD994B.jpeg
Free Heeler - As in Free Spirit and Free Beer. No $700 pass! No plastic boots! And No Fkn Merlot!

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:12 pm

Åwesome morning!

Åsnes Falketind 62, Alfa Guard Advance GTX, NNN BC, Pomoca Race Pro 2.0
_DSC3697-01.jpeg
_DSC3710-01-01.jpeg
_DSC3667-01.jpeg