The Great North American ASNES FEVER!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Re: The Great North American ASNES FEVER!

Post by bgregoire » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:45 pm

Ne t’inquiète pas mon Rod, ton moment de gloire approche!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:32 am

Rodbelan wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:30 pm
There is a misinterpretation here; maybe I wasn't clear enough... I meant to say that a BC ski, in order to turn, doesn't need 16m of radius. We see short radius in Alpine skis dedicated to the resort. It is quite different in the BC...
Wait, what gave you the idea that the NOSI was intended as a "BC" ski? It's simply a NR'd 108-76-98 ski that you can use in any way you want, wherever you want, with whatever binding you want. It doesn't matter if it's for urban sidewalk surfing or frontside carving... ;)

Some "respected" people here are using phat single camber Vectors (16m radius @ 154) and T4's for pure XC skiing. (!!!) Me, I use my straight Karhu GT skinnies with leathers for downhill on icy groomers at the resort... Please tell me, who is wrong?!? 8-)

bgregoire wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:24 pm
I’m sorry J but that “classic touring ski” is meant to mean a backcountry alpine ski, a top touring ski. That’s what they say in Norway. Pretty darn sure of it. Things get lost in translation. There is no true XC DNA in this ski.

A ski is what you make it. You should know that it's not size and measurements that matters, it's the way you handle it. The ski DNA becomes whatever you want it to be.

Speaking of DNA, some people here are using Vectors and plastic boots for pure XC skiing. Unbelievable!
Me, I use my straight Karhu GT skinnies for downhill at the resort... Unbelievable!
Please tell me, who is right?!? And who got lost in translation?

Don't be sorry. Just don't limit yourself to words, names, conventions, descriptions, stuff you read on the internet or that 99% majority. You might miss the most amazing things Life has to offer by doing so... 8-)
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:13 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:24 pm
It’s a nice ski for sure though and anyone can do whatever with it. Go Tur!
Johnny, I spelled out my unlimited appreciation of skiing styles in my previous posted you quoted from.

Its what you make of it. YES!

But, I'm just saying Asnes is not advertizing the Nosi as a downhill capable cross-country ski but rather as a top touring ski, so an alpine backcountry ski or NEARLY whatever you want to call that.

You do what you want with it, SURE! It's just NOT what they said. Its what YOU say.

My scientific mind just does not accept misquotes.

PEACE OUT BROTHA.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:55 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:13 pm
But, I'm just saying Asnes is not advertizing the Nosi as a downhill capable cross-country ski but rather as a top touring ski, so an alpine backcountry ski or NEARLY whatever you want to call that.
Alpine touring. They call it Alpine Touring skis in English.
(A not trendy anymore expression meaning nearly whatever you want. ;) )

We have to keep in mind that the Norwegian family have 90+ years of experience in both ski making AND marketing. Active Brands AS, their parent company is run by millionaires. These guys know exactly what they're doing. They know their market perfectly, and what their customers want to hear. The exact words they use is no coincidence, they know perfectly what the European 99% majority wants, what they will buy and what they won't.

And here we are, a bunch of tele-freaks arguing over whether some Asnes skis have too much sidecut for this or for that, whether one model should be used in the backcountry or not, Asnes this, Asnes that... Aren't we all some kind of funny, each of us with our own different so-called "expertise"?

(Forget that scientific mind, and listen to that light within...! )

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:03 pm

Johnny wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:32 am
Rodbelan wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:30 pm
There is a misinterpretation here; maybe I wasn't clear enough... I meant to say that a BC ski, in order to turn, doesn't need 16m of radius. We see short radius in Alpine skis dedicated to the resort. It is quite different in the BC...
Please tell me, who is wrong?!? 8-)
Nobody is wrong man... What I implied is that I do not need short radius in BC—in the freshies, short radius are even overturning... A Blizzard Zero G 85 in my size is about 20 m radius. It seems like a good compromise (or we could take my K2 Sahale as an exemple). And not hard to turn by any means. So, I am wondering why Asnes develops alpine touring skis with such short radius. It *might* not be needed... It *might* be more a vector of marketing than an actual R&D driven design solution. But hé, if the ski is good, that's ok for sure...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:08 pm

25 years ago, "XCD" was a very hip keyword that could sell pretty much any product. It wouldn't be wise to use it today. But anything labeled "Alpine Touring" can be sold to anyone (with or without ski knowledge) at any price...

Rod, the NOSIs and their 18m radius are awesome. But you know, I have been dreaming about superlight, straight, no radius skis for YEARS... Both skinnies and fatties, for different uses. But it's not going to happen since 99% of the people want sidecut everywhere... There are a few contenders out there, most of them way too heavy or too cambered or no-rocker...

bgregoire

Post by bgregoire » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:15 pm

Johnny wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:55 pm
(Forget that scientific mind, and listen to that light within...! )
You are right. Maybe we should stop populating this forum with sentences and paragraphs. We should only use colorful drawings and poetry.

I think my cat just quacked, did you hear that? Or was that just a passing platypus?

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:00 pm

Ok ok ok, 97% +1.

Now where's my popcorn, this is a fun page! :mrgreen:

My 99% wasn't about mocking anyone, just sayin'. (maybe it was a compliment!)

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:58 pm

jyw5 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:25 pm
Anyone skiing the Nosi 76 with BC NNN?

how does it compare to the Rabb 68?

I am assuming that the Nosi 76 would be a good replacement for the S112 ? similar width but way better and much lighter.

I am looking for a ski to tackle the EIGHT feet of snow that has fallen in the past 5 wks. My S112 feels like a slug and I'm skiing in waist deep snow on my FT62s.

I found a secret/overlooked place last wk when it was snowing...there were only two sets of old faint tracks ...otherwise I am estimating 2000ft vertical and 5+ miles of virgin snow...no avy danger, brief steep sections and at least a mile of moderate wide terrain. It was bottomless and a real pain to break trail with my S112s, but the quiet descent was slow, smooth, deep, and graceful. Would love an appropriate ski that would float more and go a bit faster.
Karhu Guide/Madshus Annum:
- 109-78-95mm
- 2622g/185cm- per pair
- soft, round flex
- traditional single camber

Fischer S-Bound 112:
- 112-78-95mm
- 2690g/179cm- per pair
- moderate flex
- Nordic-rockerd tip; traditional single camber

Asnes Nosi 76:
- 108-76-98cm
- 1175g(2350g?)/180cm- per pair?
- flex?
- rockered tip and tail; traditional single camber?

Asnes Rabb 68:
- 104-68-94mm
- 1130g(2260g)/180cm- per pair
- soft, round flex?
- rockered tip and tail; traditional single camber?
First of all- the fact that you are thinking NNNBC on the Nosi is wicked BTW- I LOOOOVE NNNBC on the Annum.

Second-
While I can easily consider that the Nosi 76 would be a better downhill ski than the Annum or S-112-
and- the Nosi 76 will certainly offer more float than the waspy Falketind 62...

I wonder how the Nosi 76 could offer more flotation than the S-112 that you have?
I suppose that it could offer more effective early-tip rise...

If the S-112 is not doing it for you-

Why are you not considering going wider?
As far as going wider-

Doesn't one need to go as wide as the Fjoro 92 (or Voile V6 for comparison) to get a powder-tuned flex and profile?
(And for that matter- does Asnes have a ski with powder-tuned flex/profile like the V6?)

That is what you should do- Fjoro 92/Voile V6 + NNNBC + Guard Advance!!
Why not?

(BTW- perhaps would this should all be in the Asnes thread?)
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:05 pm

I think the short radius on the Nosi was most likely developed because most skiiers are beginner-intermediate skiiers that want more sidecut and desire skis that turn....and they probably don't know much about sidecut and turn radius. They just think the ski looks light and pretty and they want a pair.

I think we telefreaks/xcd'ers are in a "special" category... we have specific tastes...so the ski either works for you or it does not.

I think the Nosi has stats that would suit my needs as the width is between my FT62 and my Volkl BMT 94. Whereas, the Rabb seems close to the FT62 and there might be too much overlap in conditions where either ski would be great.

Thanks for all your thoughts. keep them coming.