Gear Basket

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
jyw5

Re: Gear Basket

Post by jyw5 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:11 am

treehugger wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:46 pm
jyw5 wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:32 am
Asnes Ingstad

https://varuste.net/en/Åsnes+Ingstad+BC ... gJNdvD_BwE

has anyone ordered from Varuste? prices and shipping look good (better than REI and many US vendors) and a wider selection of Scandinavian products. any import taxes from Finland?
They just went on sale. Ordered Ingstad BC. Hope this works out!

Good luck! let us know how it goes. and how much was shipping? and where are you located?

I really like their selection... thinking about getting some NNN BC skates for my fancy boots. and maybe yet another pair of skis... the prices are just so good.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:11 am

treehugger wrote:
it's going to work out! no worries. What length did you get?
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

treehugger

Post by treehugger » Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:00 pm

Cannatonic wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:11 am
treehugger wrote:
it's going to work out! no worries. What length did you get?
Already got a tracking # so far so good. Great pricing almost got Kongsvolds too but don't know enough about them. I ordered 195 for maneuverability downhill thru trees as was discussed in the Ingstad review.

treehugger

Post by treehugger » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:29 pm

Just picked up Ingstads from post office!! Wahoo! Varuste was pretty positive experience. Less than a week shipping to CA. Not too bad.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:10 pm

treehugger, glad you got your skis -- but you may have lucked out in ordering the right thing at the right time. I'm posting this mainly as an FYI for others thinking of ordering from Varuste.net.

I tried ordering some Amundsen skis from Varuste.net, but the site didn't allow it. When I chose U.S. as a shipping destination, it said that shipments were limited to packages with a max. length of 152cm. I was able to add the Ingstad wax version and get a shipping quote, but, for all other long skis (including the Ingstad waxless), it wouldn't give me a shipping option -- so probably someone at Varuste forgot to add the filter to the Ingstad wax model for US shipping. Also, it gives the same results for Canada as a shipping destination.

Perhaps calling them might help, but I took this as a sign that I should curtail my ski buying for a while :)

treehugger

Post by treehugger » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:31 pm

Heard the same thing from Johnny. I guess I just got lucky. Nice to be special :D

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:46 am

Hi,

I double checked this situation and there are few lucky ones who have succeeded in ordering skis for the US.
Reason is missing size information from our systems + mistake in our warehouse + error for delivery company's systems.

Ystävällisin terveisin | Best Regards,
varuste.net
/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:50 am

I would love to get the Asnes MT51 in 190cm ...wonder if I email them, will they ship to the US, despite the 153cm restriction?

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:14 am

I thought Asnses had an event at a retailer, REI I think, in Anchorage in January. Do they carry them, and if so couldn't they order you a pair?

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:58 am

Varutse has the MT51 listed for only $160.

They also have the Lundhags T skates

REI has 2 pairs of Asnes. I will check with them.

Edit: here is the email response I got... very fast reply:

-------

Hi,

Unfortunately, currently it's not possible. For now we use EMS shipping that's provided by the postal service and their limitation to length is 150cm. Later this spring or maybe before that we'll start using FedEx as our alternative provider which means these skis can be shipped. But for now I'm sorry to say we don't have options for it, we're working hard to get this solved. It has been only recently that we've gotten a large influx of customers and interest from the US and Canada, a lot of which concerning ski equipment and we've made efforts this year to make it possible for you guys to be our customers with all the products we sell on our site.

On the 29th of February starting at +2 GMT time we are having a big sale on our site, where a lot of stuff is -25% so if you see something nice that's under 150cm packaged take a look, maybe there's something nice available.

Ystävällisin terveisin  |  Best Regards,

Henry

-----

another update:

REI doesn't do special orders from Asnes.

looks like Sportalbert in Germany is our best bet. expensive but reliable.