Cheap skins?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Telecat
Ski style: Resort telemark, backcountry XC

Cheap skins?

Post by Telecat » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:45 pm

Due to coronavirus closing all of my local resorts I've decided it's about time to buy some skins and get up the old fashioned way.

This will be my first experiences with skins

So I saw on coleman's that there are super cheap skins to buy for the USGI skis. They are 210 length. Are these any good? Will they fit my 210cm fischer e99, or my 205cm ashes ingstad?

And also looking for skins to fit either my 174cm k2 sidestash or my black diamond verdict. How easy are skins to trim down? can I buy anything longer and assume I can trim it down to fit? Looking for super budget, so like anything on ebay for approx $50. Do they have to perfectly fit the width? Is it okay if they're a bit skinnier than my skis?

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/skiing/tr ... n-size-188

Could these work for my 174cm sidestash skis? The seller said that contrary to the pictures they have a loop tip. I'm wondering if I can trim them down? I think theres a strap for the back of the ski, not sure If I can move/reinstall that.
Last edited by Telecat on Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jyw5

Re: Cheap skins?

Post by jyw5 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:40 pm

Get 2 higher quality skins for your 4 pairs that you mentioned....especially since you are saving money on not buying lift tickets.

you don't need tail clips if you are just skinning up a resort. I rarely use skins with tail clips for day trips (up to 3-5k vertical for 2-4 runs).

get mohair mix for spring conditions or mohair for gentle and moderate slopes (better glide).

buy absolute lengths and straight widths

You can get a straight 58mm x200cm skin and trim them to fit your two xc skis.

Get 100mmx170cm straight length for your two fat skis.
You don't need full coverage. In fact, most of the season I train with kicker skins that are half the length and 3/4 width of the ski...2-3 laps of 1200ft vertical/2.5 miles...3 days/wk on my AT setup (94mm underfoot).

Some companies like G3 say that their skins fit up to a certain rainge in length but I find them too short.

Low quality skins may have terrible glue and are not worth it. I bought 3 sets of G3 alpinist skins on sierra trading post for $60 each. I lost a skin on my first trip out because the glue failed and didn't notice until it was too late. Also some black diamond skins suck and have glue that is sticky and gloppy and gets all over your ski base.

Lesson learned. Skins from Colltex and Pomoca for $100+ are great and don't ruin your day...small price to pay for frustration free ski touring.

wall to wall coverage of ski base unnecessary for ski resort and day tours. You actually want skins that are ideally 2-4mm thinner than your skis so that the edges are exposed. That's why straight width skins are easiest so you can fit them on multiple pairs of skis.

I also commonly use 58mm mohair skins with tip attachment only for my skis that have waist widths of 62mm, 78mm, 79mm no problem. Allows me to use 1 skin for 3 pairs of skis. Only tough on the steepest climbs...my motto is: if I am having trouble getting up, I probably will have trouble getting down.

Telecat

Post by Telecat » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:57 pm

Sorry forgot to post the link to the Fischer skins I was thinking about for my k2 sidestash skis. I edited my post

And I was thinking of getting skins for my XCd skis just to maybe scale up a green or blue trail at a resort.

I'd love to invest in better uphill and ski mountaineering gear in the future.. but this is just a way to keep my season going for a bit while theres still some snow

I cant make the investment right now, especially with the threat of losing a significant portion of my income in the coming weeks if this coronavirus situation escalates much more.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:26 pm

I don't have any experience with Profoil but here's a review and discussion from wildsnow

https://www.wildsnow.com/16771/fischer- ... ns-review/

fgd135
Ski style: Yes, sometimes.
Favorite Skis: Most of them
Favorite boots: Boots that fit

Post by fgd135 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:02 am

Those USGI skins at Coleman Surplus are probably too wide for your E99's, as they were made to fit the older Karhu and Asnes USGI skis which are a bit wider. The skins are adjustable, with straps, within a length range to fit shorter skis, probably as short as 200 or even 180cm.
They strap on to the ski bottoms with numerous straps and buckles, which is a real pain to put on and take off. Further, strap-on skins work more or less ok on straight climbs, but on traverses, where there is pressure on the uphill edge, these skins will start creeping to the uphill side of the ski, perhaps causing issues if they slide over the metal edge and prevent it from setting, etc.
Try some discount online outdoor retailers, and spend the money on a decent pair of adhesive skins, you won't regret it.
Last edited by fgd135 on Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
"To me, gracefulness on skis should be the end-all of the sport" --Stein Eriksen

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:04 pm

"I'd love to invest in better uphill and ski mountaineering gear in the future.. but this is just a way to keep my season going for a bit while theres still some snow"

I'd think the Sidestash's should be fine. You have the Voile 3 pin cables? Just undo the cables for the uphill.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:18 am

Hi Chris, if you don't get any skins why not use your scaled xcd skis and ski whatever you can comfortably climb. You don't have to go all the way to the top. I would look for spot that has soft snow and is easy to climb and do laps on it.

Telecat

Post by Telecat » Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:39 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:18 am
Hi Chris, if you don't get any skins why not use your scaled xcd skis and ski whatever you can comfortably climb. You don't have to go all the way to the top. I would look for spot that has soft snow and is easy to climb and do laps on it.
I plan to! I figured I'll just go to the local resorts and kick around my XC skis on their green trails. Hopefully they dont mind haha. I doubt anyone will stop me.

*Edit*
Just checked their snow reports and at least hunter is allowing uphill travel at you're own risk. So XC skiing there should be fine

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:08 pm

It's good to know you won't get kicked out, the local resorts I checked with all said "No." Have fun, it could really be good.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:40 pm

Vail bought Stowe Resort and lease the ski area from the state...Been going up there for decades when it's closed as we the PEOPLE own it....Even had security hassle me but they apologized when they found out that we knew....I assume if Stowe is closed you can walk, ski, any way you want up the Mountain and ski down anything you want...TM