Åsnes Borge Ousland BC Ski Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Cannatonic

Re: Åsnes Borge Ousland BC Ski Review

Post by Cannatonic » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:14 pm

no arcing???? better hope T-man doesn't read these reviews :lol: I checked the specs - the Ousland is 20% lighter than Gamme, that's nothing to sneeze at. Looks like a kinder, gentler Amundsen to me. I'd love a pair. If you like the E99-type ski, Asnes' product line is pure heaven! There is every possible permutation of this type of ski. Finnmark - no edge E99 - was already on my list. Now this Ousland is on there too.

And in the description Asnes references one of my favorite qualities of all these - the thick edges:

>>Its full steel edge (2.1 x 1.9 mm) and very lightweight wooden core make it as suitable for longer trips and expeditions towing a pulk as for days out in hard and icy ski tracks. Using the same steel edge on both our mountain skis and most of our alpine skis, we can guarantee both good edge control in all conditions and superb durability.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics
Favorite Skis: Redsters, Radicals, XCD Comps, Objectives and S98s
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska XP, Alfa Guards, Scarpa TX Comp

Post by Johnny » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:15 pm

/...\ Peace, Love, Telemark and Tofu /...\
"And if you like to risk your neck, we'll boom down Sutton in old Quebec..."

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:17 pm

love the video! From that one shot of the skis it seems like maybe Ousland has more camber than the Gamme? that would make sense
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Johnny
Site Admin
Ski style: Dancing with God with leathers / Racing against the machine with plastics

Post by Johnny » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:32 pm

I don't have a pair of Gamme right here now to compare, but from what I recall, I would say they have pretty much the same camber underfoot...

Petetheswede
Ski style: Touring with turns
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Ingstad
Favorite boots: Lundhags Guide BC

Post by Petetheswede » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:11 am

Johnny, I read your post on the Ousland being smother than the Gammes but could you delve into a comparison between Gamme 200cm and Ousland 210. Would a longer Ousland turn (or arc...) like a shorter Gamme? I come from a 2m Gamme but would like to try a longer ski for next season. Weight 75kg, length 185cm.

Cheers
Petter

Johnny
Site Admin

Post by Johnny » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:06 am

Petetheswede wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:11 am
Johnny, I read your post on the Ousland being smother than the Gammes but could you delve into a comparison between Gamme 200cm and Ousland 210. Would a longer Ousland turn (or arc...) like a shorter Gamme?
From a technical point of view yes, having slightly softer tips will sure help turn initiation... I don't think a 5% longer length would make much of a difference... 8-)

The main thing here is camber... The longer they are, the stronger the camber... How does the camber feels on your Gamme for K&G? The camber might be a bit too strong for your taste on a 210cm...?

Petetheswede
Ski style: Touring with turns
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Ingstad
Favorite boots: Lundhags Guide BC

Post by Petetheswede » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:21 am

Hard to say without trying. I know I like the camber of the 200cm Gamme. I think it climbs effortlessly and feels very manageble. However, I would use the Ousland primarily for longer trips meaning gear and luggage increasing my effective weight to at least 90kg from maybe 80-85 kg for a leisuretrip.

I would really like to try the 210 ski but I appreciate the input that camber compressibility is the issue rather than turnability.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:42 pm

Compared to an equivalent Gamme- the greater Nordic rocker in the Ousland will definitely shorten its glide zone on consolidated snow and shorten the effective edge.

One of my ski partners weighs 10kg less than me and does not have any challenges with the camber and stiffness of the 210cm Gamme 54- at least not when XC skiing and climbing...

If the camber and stiffness underfoot is similar between the Gamme and Ousland skis- then I would think the 210cm Ousland would be fine at your weight as a distance-oriented ski- the camber and stiffness underfoot might well be a handful when you point them downhill though...

I am still a bit confused by the geometry of this ski- what is the advantage of that much tip rocker on a narrow, straight, stiff and cambered ski?
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:48 pm

lilcliffy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:42 pm
I am still a bit confused by the geometry of this ski- what is the advantage of that much tip rocker on a narrow, straight, stiff and cambered ski?
Borge Ousland is a polar explorer. This ski came out just before his last North Pole traverse with Mike Horn. Maybe it was specifically designed for his needs? A light narrow ski with skins for pulling a sled over the flats. There must be a lot of uneven surfaces to cross there, and I am guessing the nordic rocker might be useful in helping one glide over all of this mess.

If you are analysing this skis' design from a telemark or downhill perspective, I don't think you can hit the designers intent.
Last edited by bgregoire on Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:10 pm

Yes- right.
Having not skied in that environment it is somewhat hard for me to imagine!
(I did watch some video of his Arctic Pole traverse this past winter- wow!)
Extremely cold temperatures, ice, broken up and fractured ice, wind compacted "snow" (or is that white sand!?) and God knows what else- oh yeah- pulling a freakin pulk of gear + a damn kayak?!?!
Well- I guess if you are skiing in that context! :shock:
Thanks Ben,
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.