Pictures, pictures and pictures!

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: Pictures, pictures and pictures!

Post by fisheater » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:17 pm

Beautiful skiing, does anybody recognize the skis? I’m thinking they are skinny, but not double cambered. If they are double cambered, I am very impressed.
Now I want my buddy to bring back my old Fischer Voo Doos.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:03 pm

Some of the skis look familiar. There are a pair of Kazama Approach skis and some Black Diamond skis (the longer blue ones) that have similar graphics to some Black Diamond Boundary skis that I have from the mid-90s. I think the two pair of identical model skis at the left of the frame in the video grab below (at about the 3:30 mark) are also Black Diamond skis, as they used a similar graphic over 20 years ago. I don't know what the skis at the far right are...

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:18 pm

Blizzard yesterday, bluebird today.
IMG_7043.JPG

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:57 am

Rodbelan wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:36 am
Skinny ski flix... Nice!
That looks like a great place to ski, but I wasn't overly impressed with skiing. Intermediate mostly, IMO.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:57 am

We do not see that much skinny action on youtube... at least not recent one. And it is a skill that is getting lost; it is very demanding. The guys are skiing leather & just pins (no cables). Even Steve Barnett is struggling in harsh or not so ideal conditions (cf some nato and Nils Larsen videos). I give them a 2 thumbs up!
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:29 pm

It was a good video, I should have left it at that. It is a dying art and has been for a long time so it's good that you posted it. I just thought that the likes of Steve Barnett and those with his skill and experience would have made it look more inspiring.

Rodbelan
Ski style: Very stylish
Favorite Skis: Splitkein
Favorite boots: Alpina Blaze and my beloved Alpina Sports Jr

Post by Rodbelan » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:30 am

Yes... I mean, these guys — talking of Barnett, Bard, Hall, etc — dedicated their ski life to skinny skiing... I bet the best telemarker around (CANSI level 4) would look like a beginner on that kind of skis and boots and bindings...
É y fa ty fret? On é ty ben dun ti cotton waté?
célèbre et ancien chant celtique

Greenhighlander

Post by Greenhighlander » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:37 pm

I love my new touring set up. Alpina Discovery 68 skis , Rottefella NNN BC manual bindings, Alpina Alaska boots, Fischer BCX poles. It has turned out to be everything I had hoped for
IMG_7509.JPG
Cheers

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:22 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:57 am
That looks like a great place to ski, but I wasn't overly impressed with skiing. Intermediate mostly, IMO.
:D
Hey lowangle,

I am happy you won't get the chance to see my video of me skiing my skinny Europa 99 tonight with my headlamp as I am not even close to be an intermediate tele skier :lol:

But seriously, it is so much fun to ski those whenever I get the chance with simple 3 pin cable and my Alaska's. It really is a challenge even on my bunny hill but so rewarding to manage those LONG turns... I can make at least twice the number of turns with my FT62 but not as challenging...

Probably only a few more days of skiing here... but planning to ski to the last snow flakes ;)

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:48 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:22 pm
lowangle al wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:57 am
:D
Hey lowangle,

I am happy you won't get the chance to see my video of me skiing my skinny Europa 99 tonight with my headlamp as I am not even close to be an intermediate tele skier :lol:

But seriously, it is so much fun to ski those whenever I get the chance with simple 3 pin cable and my Alaska's. It really is a challenge even on my bunny hill but so rewarding to manage those LONG turns... I can make at least twice the number of turns with my FT62 but not as challenging...

Probably only a few more days of skiing here... but planning to ski to the last snow flakes ;)
Nitrum, I've seen your pictures and that was enough for me.LOL. Seriously though I spent 20 years almost exclusively on double camber skinnys, leather boots and 3pin bindings so I know about the challenges. My goal used to be to master bad conditions on them, now it is to avoid them.

What boot and binding are on your FTs?