Same skin for two sets of skis?

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
freethemind

Same skin for two sets of skis?

Post by freethemind » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:12 pm

Touring newbie here. With all the resorts closed because of Covid-19 I thought I could start hiking up. Always wanted to do this so thought it'd be a good time to finally take the plunge.

Been looking at skins and they are not cheap. I have two pairs of skis which I'm hoping to get skins for and I'm wondering if I can just use the same skin for both skis.

Dimensions are:
127/88/121 180cm
134/96/117 184cm

Andy M

Re: Same skin for two sets of skis?

Post by Andy M » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:59 pm

Yes, you can use the same skin for both skis, as long as you don't try to go up a steeper slope (maybe >20 degrees or so) with the fatter skis with skins fitted for the narrower skis.

If the skin leaves more than the edges exposed in the middle third or so of the ski, then you will slip on steeper slopes, especially if you are doing an ascending traverse.

If you only expect to use the skins on easy to moderate slopes, the simplest thing to do would be to get some straight skins of 80-85mm, and then just trim them lengthwise (if necessary) for the shortest ski. As suggested recently in another similar thread, you could also get kicker skins, which only cover the middle portion of the ski. I regularly use Black Diamond kicker skins when skinning at the area and in the backcountry, but I am limited with those to going up easier slopes.

If you think you might use the narrower skis for more backcountry skiing in the future, then you might want to get wider skins (e.g., 100 to 115mm in width), and then trim them to fit the narrower skis -- they would then give you more traction on steeper slopes with the narrower skis. You could still use them on the wider skis, and they would give more traction than just using a straight skin fit to the narrower ski.

The caveat to this last bit is that if you got skins with a tail-fix, you would need to make sure you could make it work with both skis and their different lengths -- or you could just not use the tail-fix option.

Petetheswede
Ski style: Touring with turns
Favorite Skis: Åsnes Gamme, Ingstad
Favorite boots: Lundhags Guide BC

Post by Petetheswede » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:57 pm

For climbing non-complicated terrain I like to zig-zag alot to save achillestendons and overall energy. Generally you can keep a high pace so I dont think you lose much actual speed compared to going straight up. This is possible with a kicker skin or even just kick wax. Att least for reddish slopes.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:37 am

If you are looking for cheap skins get the G3 Alpinist Climbing skins 85mm LONG (it says 183cm but they are shorter than they specify so this one will fit both of your skis ...tail clip is adjustable). This is a decent straight skin that requires no trimming and has good attachments...great for sunny Spring tours...terrible for mid winter cold dry snow as the glue is not very sticky and will fail in very cold conditions. I got it from Sierra trading post for $70. unfortunately, Sierra is down due to Covid. Look around but make sure the size is right...its really annoying that some companies specify that a skin is good for a range of lengths but they really are not! ...you can easily change the width but not the length if you want tip and tail attachments.

With spring conditions you want mohair mix. For dry cold snow in mid winter, 100% mohair skins are the best.
This skin should be good for all but the steepest terrain...which you will need to do switchbacks (which is recommended anyway)...most skiiers in my area have a tendency to make skin tracks way too steep... angles that no guide would ever do. I end up having to break my own lower angle trail...not a big deal.

For reference, I use these 85mm skins on a ski with dimensions of 125-95-120 with some slipping in wet consolidated snow. They work really well in slightly colder and dry new snow. I have put 10k vertical ft on these skins in the past week with some slipping but I was also carrying a 30 pound pack.

Good luck and have fun!

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:45 am

The only time I needed wall to wall skins is when traversing a steep hard packed slope. When the snow is hard I would be on a more narrow ski anyway. So if the skins fit your narrow ski wall to wall they have you covered for hard snow and will probably work on your wider ski in soft snow.

Joe, it sounds like you had a good week up there, were you on NNN BC?

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:34 am

I have been switching between NNN BC, NNN all of last week. The snow was fantastic on sunday after the storm which brought almost a foot of powder in 1 day. But since then, it has turned to heavy cement. I am doing the Eklutna Traverse next wk, so I have also been training on my S125s with Silvretta bindings and mountaineering boots. The snow up high is still good but its all very steep skiing and avalanche prone. The snow down low is good in the shade and very early in the morning. My ski season will take a break after the Traverse next wk (Wed-Sunday). I hope to return skiing on NNN BC in late May and June for summer corn up high.

Joe

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:22 am

jyw5 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:34 am
I have been switching between NNN BC, NNN all of last week. The snow was fantastic on sunday after the storm which brought almost a foot of powder in 1 day. But since then, it has turned to heavy cement. I am doing the Eklutna Traverse next wk, so I have also been training on my S125s with Silvretta bindings and mountaineering boots. The snow up high is still good but its all very steep skiing and avalanche prone. The snow down low is good in the shade and very early in the morning. My ski season will take a break after the Traverse next wk (Wed-Sunday). I hope to return skiing on NNN BC in late May and June for summer corn up high.

Joe
It sounds like your getting lots of snow up there. I should have been there last week but cancelled due to the virus. It's too bad about the warm temps, it used to be winter conditions lasted through March.

Good luck with the Eklutna Traverse, it should be a great alpine glacial adventure.

jyw5

Post by jyw5 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:43 am

Sorry you couldn't make it to AK. The Traverse was excellent. I posted photos in the pictures, pictures, pictures thread.