Rossignol BC X-12 Boots, My Review

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Re: Rossignol BC X-12 Boots, My Review

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:56 pm

OH- and BTW- if you ever get to the point of considering replacing your Rossi BCX12:
https://crispi.it/en/349/svartisen-gtx- ... /260/black

I have had trouble with fit with this boot- now resolved- but, what I can tell you- having owned multiple pairs of both Rossi and Fischer BC-XCD boots- is that the quality and durability of the Crispi boot is magnificent.

The Crispi Svartisen is the most supportive BC-XC boot that I have ever tested- while still offering classic Nordic striding.
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:32 pm

lilcliffy wrote:OH- and BTW- if you ever get to the point of considering replacing your Rossi BCX12:
https://crispi.it/en/349/svartisen-gtx- ... /260/black

I have had trouble with fit with this boot- now resolved- but, what I can tell you- having owned multiple pairs of both Rossi and Fischer BC-XCD boots- is that the quality and durability of the Crispi boot is magnificent.

The Crispi Svartisen is the most supportive BC-XC boot that I have ever tested- while still offering classic Nordic striding.
Thanks for the info on the Crispi Svartinsen. From the photos, it looks like an interesting boot. So far, the Rossi BC X-12's have been working for me (fit wise), but I'm sure I'll be in the market for a new set of boots after a couple seasons. Most of the soft boots I've had lately only hold up for a few years. I was out testing the X-12's today on a pair of Voile Objective BC's. Interesting combination.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:18 am

Tom M wrote: I was out testing the X-12's today on a pair of Voile Objective BC's. Interesting combination.
Ooooh! Do tell!
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

MartinF

Post by MartinF » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:50 am

I now have the Rossi BC X-6, X-10 and X-12 boots.

I see a lot of people dismissing the Rossi boots as too soft for turns after only trying the 6 - and that one is indeed quite soft, giving great kick and glide in the flats with something like my Fischer E99s. Not a turner at all!

But the progression in stiffness is very clear and tangible (though circumstances have rendered proper testing of the 10 and 12 impossible, right now). The 10 beats the 6 by worlds and the 12 the 10. Conversely, striding flex is obviously reduced.

What I like is not only the fact that they fit me very well, but that the fit seems pretty consistent over the entire model range.

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:20 pm

MartinF wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:50 am
I now have the Rossi BC X-6, X-10 and X-12 boots.

I see a lot of people dismissing the Rossi boots as too soft for turns after only trying the 6 - and that one is indeed quite soft, giving great kick and glide in the flats with something like my Fischer E99s. Not a turner at all!

But the progression in stiffness is very clear and tangible (though circumstances have rendered proper testing of the 10 and 12 impossible, right now). The 10 beats the 6 by worlds and the 12 the 10. Conversely, striding flex is obviously reduced.

What I like is not only the fact that they fit me very well, but that the fit seems pretty consistent over the entire model range.
Martin, your observations are quite correct. However, I would argue the biggest complaint against Rossi boots, regardless of their models, is durability. They just are not very durable. The X12, of course, is the best of the bunch, and it appears the collar is actually some kind of fiver reinforced material (kevlar???). The buckles are a week link however, and they can unglue or tear at the sole/upper junction.

Enjoy the snow ans stay safe.
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM

MartinF

Post by MartinF » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:42 pm

bgregoire wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:20 pm
Martin, your observations are quite correct. However, I would argue the biggest complaint against Rossi boots, regardless of their models, is durability. They just are not very durable. The X12, of course, is the best of the bunch, and it appears the collar is actually some kind of fiver reinforced material (kevlar???). The buckles are a week link however, and they can unglue or tear at the sole/upper junction.
Carbon, it appears! Very stiff.

Durability? You are probably right. But I tend to have less time/opportunity than material in all my outdoor pursuits, due to watching out for bargains (rather than affluence, alas). That's unfortunate in one sense, though it helps to make stuff (ostensibly) last forever. I now have three pairs of boots for three different pairs of XCD skis, thanks to radically slashed prices two years ago and now. Given that most of my skiing is alpine and done with a fourth set of equipment, that is probably quite a lot.

Tom M

Post by Tom M » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:22 pm

Time for a two season update on the Rossignol BCX-12 boot. The boot was deeply discounted this season, and most sizes were not available for the 2020 season, so it makes me wonder if Rossignol has dropped this boot from their lineup. I wonder if a new and improved version will be available next year. As I stated in my earlier posts, I really liked the boot, but gave it up this season, not because of the way it skied, or because of it's durability with one season's use, but because I was having a problem with the carbon fiber exoskeleton aggravating my pointy ankle bone on my right foot. My left foot was just fine. The shape of my feet must be outside the "norm" as boot fit is one of my biggest issues. I tried a few tricks with heel lifts and padding to lessen the aggravation, but in the end, I had to give them up. I've been skiing the Alfa Skarvets (NNNBC) on my Fischer Traverse 78 skis this season and have been very impressed with their performance, so much so, that I considered replacing the 3 pin binding on my 98's with an NNNBC Magnum. I'm sure that the Skarvets and the 98's would be a great combination. I also ski a set of Voile Objective BC skis with a 3 pin binding, and I like having the option of using a soft boot when the conditions allow, and a plastic boot when extra control is needed, so I decided to try the Alfa Greenland 75 Advance GTX boots (could they have a longer name!). I've been skiing them for a couple of months now, both on the 98's and the Objectives. As far as performance goes, they are in the same class as the Rossignol BCX-12 boot, which in my opinion, is a good thing. I don't have the ankle bone problem with these boots, but I do get a bit of toe pinch on the tele turn. I'm hoping that the boots will form to my feet over time, so for now, its a work in progress. I couldn't find a source for these boots here in the US, so I ended up buying them online directly from Alfa. Since I already owned a pair of the Skarvets, I ordered the Greenland 75's in the same size, and they are nearly identical in fit. I'm currently working on a review for my Youtube Channel, and I will post a link here when its available. Stay tuned.

MartinF

Post by MartinF » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:12 pm

Tom M wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:22 pm
The boot was deeply discounted this season, and most sizes were not available for the 2020 season, so it makes me wonder if Rossignol has dropped this boot from their lineup.
Mine was an almost unbelievable €149.99, a recent bargain directly from Rossi (noticeably more expensive elsewhere). I think it is 2018/2019, because the logo is still horizontal. The boot is available on the Rossi EU sites, but apparently out of stock on the company's US page. So your guess seems justified, Tom.

I have fairly slim feet and usually experience very few problems finding any type of shoe - which is not to say that any model will fit, but that discovering one that does is easy. My high-end Salomon alpine boots came with custom fitting included in the price, but I didn't need it.

Tom M

Post by Tom M » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:24 pm

I've started a new topic for the Alfa Greenland 75 Advance GTX boots

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3073