Alfa Greenland 75 Advance Leather Boots

Real reviews by real skiers. What a concept! Add your own today. Reviews only please, questions can be posted as replies but new threads looking for opinions should be posted to the main Telemark Talk Forum.
Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Alfa Greenland 75 Advance Leather Boots

Post by Tom M » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:36 pm

I picked up a new pair of 3 pin leather boots mid-way this season, the Alfa Greenland 75 Advance. I could not locate a source for these boots in the US, so I ordered them directly from Alfa in Norway. I've been skiing these boots on my SBound 98's and Voile Objective BC skis with a 3 pin binding. The Alfa Greenland 75 Advance GTX boots (could they have a longer name!) are the 75 mm equivalent to the Alfa Skarvet Advance NNNBC Boot. Since I already own a pair of the Skarvets, I ordered the Greenland 75's in the same size, and they are nearly identical in fit. The boots have been working well for me. My only issue is a bit of "top of the toes" pinch under hard telemark, but I'm hoping that issue will lessen with time as they start to take the form of my feet. If you are curious, check out my video review.

Andy M

Re: Alfa Greenland 75 Advance Leather Boots

Post by Andy M » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:04 pm

Tom, I couldn't get your video to play -- it says "Video unavailable -- This video is private."

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:25 pm

Andy M wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:04 pm
Tom, I couldn't get your video to play -- it says "Video unavailable -- This video is private."
The video should work now. Thanks for the heads up.

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:51 am

Great video Tom, with very clear explanations! Thanks!

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:04 pm

Very professional video, thanks!! The leather workmanship on the Alfa boots looks like very nice quality. it's interesting, and somewhat sad, to me that most boot companies choose the thinner, glue-on 75mm sole instead of the traditional thicker welted version.

The glued sole is definitely lighter weight. But the welted sole is more rigid and allows you to point the skis better and power them through turns better. It's more durable - these boots don't die until the leather is virtually disintegrating.

On my Antarctics and Refugio boots I don't feel the need for a cable, there's enough support and control over skinny skis without it, and therefore I can use the lighter Rottefella ST bindings. These boots don't have any kind of rand either, which allows the toebox to stretch & conform better. But the welted sole has become a rare specialty item in today's world. Maybe people pick up the welted sole boots in the shop and don't like the heavy weight of it.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:00 pm

Canna,
When do we get your review of the Rifugio?
I know what you mean about welted soles. Although I admit my Alaska BC are great with the Gamme. I wouldn’t mind a lighter welted sole than the Ski March at times. That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the Ski March, I really like it a lot. I just think there is a place for a boot between Alaska and Ski March

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed May 13, 2020 1:14 pm

The Rifugio is the perfect fit between the Ski March & Alaska. It's vastly lighter than Ski March and flexes better while still having very strong ankle support.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)