The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Re: The Finest Leathers: Nordic Norm 75mm Backcountry/Telemark Boots

Post by fisheater » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:19 pm

Tele kid wrote:Wish I could buy another pair of Andrew’s North Rim boots. Can’t remember, too much herb, but roughly ten + yrs old. There still my go to aggressive boot but this summer they need a cobble shop bad. Years back sent some Merrill boots to Rocky Mt Resoal. Like hearing there may be a place in NH.
Tele Kid, I really like my Alico Ski March. However it fits my feet, so that's half the battle. I could easily handle a Fischer S-112' with this boot. It is a bit heavy, it might be close to my T-4 in weight. I don't have a scale. It isn't as powerful as a T-4, however the T-4 doesn't have that sweet leather flex. There is a pretty long review section. I'm happy I bought mine. Good luck

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:51 pm

Variety wise, I'm trying to make the most of the NN binding system and now own 3 pairs of boots. Down from just one pair of NNNBC boots 2 months ago. The NNN-BC Crispi Stetinds will be used for my Lundhags Skates and when we have winter guests on my older skis.
I first got the Alico Ski March for 50 pounds including shipping off Ebay, but after one outing they have a delaminating sole I still need to fix. This kind of spooked me in terms of reliability so in a pinch I got new Crispi Bre to have "failsafe" boots, these are noticeably lighter than the Alicos, with less heel support but are much more comfortable for XC, and seem to offer significantly better downhill control than my Stetinds did. I cannot yet compare the Alicos to the Crispi Bre directly, with just one outing on either.
IMG_20200516_160342.jpg
My newest acquisition (and probably the last one for now, until I get some serious use out of my current boot lineup):
IMG_20200618_211656t.jpg
Asolo Extreme Racers. I got them in pretty good condition second hand for the price of a sixpack. They fit well albeit somewhat tight (they are half a euro size smaller than the Crispi Bre). From just briefly having them on my foot I don't think they are suitable for any medium to long range XC trip, as they seem way to stiff for enjoyable K&G. These are proper Telemark boots and I will probably use them for vertical tours only. Also at a weight of 1850g each (size 45.5), these are just as heavy as full blown plastic 75mm boots. That said, I think they are gorgeous, in their own way with the 4 buckles.
Last edited by CwmRaider on Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

FourthCoast
Ski style: 40-Year-Old Poser

Post by FourthCoast » Thu Jun 18, 2020 6:31 pm

Roelant wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:51 pm
[...] That said, I think they are gorgeous, in their own way with the 4 buckles.
I agree. Those are nice looking boots. You got me thinking about leathers again.

Andy M

Post by Andy M » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:38 pm

Roelant wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:51 pm
My newest acquisition (and probably the last one for now, until I get some serious use out of my current boot lineup):
IMG_20200618_211656t.jpg

Asolo Extreme Racers. ...I think they are gorgeous, in their own way with the 4 buckles.
Roelant, I also think those are gorgeous. If you decide they are too small for you, let me know ;-) -- although they are probably a bit big for me...

I do wish that Asolo still made leather ski boots, as they fit me very well, and, IME, their leather welted boots last a long time... I have two pair of Asolo ski boots: the Snowpine and the Extreme Plus. I bought the Snowpines new in 1987, and the Extreme Plus boots new in about 1990. I used the Snowpines for all my free-heel skiing, including at the ski area, until I got the Extreme Plus boots, which I then used for area skiing and steeper backcountry touring and peak descents.

I still use both boots: the Snowpines fairly regularly, as they are great for kick-and-glide tours; and the Extreme Plus for when it is more of an xcD tour. The Extreme Plus weighs as much as my Scarpa T4, but of course the leather boot is better on the kick-and-glide portions.

IMG_1431b_sm.JPG

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:28 am

Teleking loves the extremes.....has had a set for decades.....Skis come and go but boots are the fundamental of Telemark.....Flex and the way they become part of your foot is such a blessing.....TM

connyro
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:30 am

greatgt wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:28 am
Teleking loves the extremes.....has had a set for decades.....Skis come and go but boots are the fundamental of Telemark.....Flex and the way they become part of your foot is such a blessing.....TM
Asolo Extremes have a steel plate in the sole of the boots and the sides are loaded with plastic, plus are nearly as heavy as Excursions. Asolo Snowfields or Snowfields 2s are a much better option for good leather flex and feel.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:34 pm

I was always able to get enough ankle support to pressure my ski tips with lace up Merrils and Asolos. The slop in the system with leather boots comes from the boot binding connection and the rubber boot sole to leather upper connection IME.

greatgt

Post by greatgt » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 am

As of now I have those lace up Asolo's....snowpine? Snowfield 2? .......A set of lace up Merrils and an old Northrim double buckle and a Rossie double buckle that I use in tandem now and then on ice....Love the flex and leathers ability to energize....Teleking once took a wet leather boot and twisted it all up....let go and it flew back releasing lots of energy.....Power vs.. finesse....take your pick.....TM

connyro

Post by connyro » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:00 am

greatgt wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:25 am
...Teleking once took a wet leather boot and twisted it all up....let go and it flew back releasing lots of energy.....Power vs.. finesse....take your pick.....TM
Are you saying that a leather boot, because it returns to it's original shape when wet and twisted, provides some sort of "power and finesse" for a skier? If so, that has got to be the most inane ski-related thing I've ever heard from you. It's right up there with your classic "double camber helps you spring across streams."

bgregoire
Ski style: Nordic backcountry touring with lots of turns
Favorite Skis: Fisher E99 & Boundless (98), Åsnes Ingstad, K2 Wayback 88
Favorite boots: Crispi Sydpolen, Alico Teletour & Alfa Polar

Post by bgregoire » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:21 am

This thread on the finest Leathers is my sanctuary of peace and love for the sport. I would be sad to see it turn into some poopoo throwing contest. Leathers are so cool, wether they be snowfields, extremes or crispy bre.To each they’re own! If we would all agree on what is best or good, this sport would be so boring. Have fun everyone, enjoy the diversity of being!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I live for the Telemark arc....The feeeeeeel.....I ski miles to get to a place where there is guaranteed snow to do the deal....TM