Voile Objectivés and 75 mm bindings

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Voile Objectivés and 75 mm bindings

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:18 pm

Hi, I just bought a pair of Objectives and I have to decide between installing Voile Traverse or XB. I want to stick to those 2 for the simple reason that I already own them. I am looking to use them in quite short distance in the woods and small hills on and around my farm. They will be my shortest skis and i hope to be able to ski them in thight trees. I will try to ski them with my leather boots, Andrew Zenith, or my Scarpa T4 only if I have to.

So I am looking for your hands on experience with this kind of setup.

Thank’s and by the way it snowed yesterday in the Chic-Choc... it’s coming :D

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Voile Objectivés and 75 mm bindings

Post by lowangle al » Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:27 pm

I don't know what the XB is but the traverse should be enough binding for either leather boots or the T4, with or without the heel throws. At least that's been my experience with vectors.

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:02 pm

Traverse.

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:35 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:27 pm
I don't know what the XB is but the traverse should be enough binding for either leather boots or the T4, with or without the heel throws. At least that's been my experience with vectors.
It means Switchback, the regular one. I guess I should have written SB? Sorry if I am illiterate :lol:

lowangle al
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Thu Aug 27, 2020 6:24 pm

The SBs never seemed to work for me with leather boots. In my limited experience with this I always felt like they could pop off so would crank them down too tight to compensate.

Tom M
Ski style: Skate on Groomed, XCD Off, Backcountry Tele
Favorite Skis: Fischer S-Bound 98 Off Trail, Voile V6 BC for Tele
Favorite boots: Currently skiing Alfa Vista, Alfa Free, Scarpa T2
Website: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCam0VG ... shelf_id=1

Post by Tom M » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:16 pm

I have the Voile 3 pin Traverse mounted on my Objective BC's and I ski them with both leather and plastic boots, depending on the snow conditions. Check out my review on my Youtube

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:33 pm

Tom M wrote:
Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:16 pm
I have the Voile 3 pin Traverse mounted on my Objective BC's and I ski them with both leather and plastic boots, depending on the snow conditions. Check out my review on my Youtube
Hi Sir,

I think I must have watched your video about 5 times :lol: I am kind of jealous every time I watch your videos. You have access to such a great terrain. I really appreciate your down to earth reviews. Keep posting those videos but you will entice some of us to visit you... be ready for an invasion

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:18 pm

Leathers bend inside the travel of the rod/hardwire bindings and you don't get good resistance. Cable binding bends with the boot and offers better tension when the heel is up. Then it does nice on the T4 too. And it kicks smoother than the free pivot for low angle stuff. This is easy, Traverse.

connyro
needs to take stock of his life
needs to take stock of his life

Post by connyro » Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:23 pm

Traverse would be my choice too. As indicated above by others, and based on my experience, leathers won't work real great in the Switchbacks. Also Switchbacks may be overkill for the Objectives IMO.

lowangle al

Post by lowangle al » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:01 pm

Ideally I would put an old cable binding like a riva, targa or chilli on them. I like the way they tour, when they are adjusted on the loose side I get less resistance from them than I do with the duckbill clamped down in a three pin. On the traverse though you could click them down only one notch and not two to get the same loose feel. I was always reluctant to do this because I thought it might damage my pin holes. It probably won't so I will give it another try for K&G. It did seem too loose for the downhill though, but maybe you can do one click on the bail and use the heel throws for better touring and still good for turns. Which is what I currently get with old rivas. I do a lot of short laps and rolling terrain and don't like to stop and transition.