Voile Objectivés and 75 mm bindings

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Re: Voile Objectivés and 75 mm bindings

Post by phoenix » Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:18 am

Personally, I prefer a straight 75mm three pin on the Objectives. Good with leather or plastic; versatile and capable, simple and light.

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:36 pm

phoenix wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:18 am
Personally, I prefer a straight 75mm three pin on the Objectives. Good with leather or plastic; versatile and capable, simple and light.
I can see that, I skied two seasons with 3 pins only on my vectors and they worked fine and they would be even better on the objective being there is less ski to get pushed around. When I tried a light cable after those two seasons I realized I liked the feel of the cable better for the down. The cable gives me more control over an unweighted ski.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:25 am

Woodserson wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:18 pm
Leathers bend inside the travel of the rod/hardwire bindings and you don't get good resistance. Cable binding bends with the boot and offers better tension when the heel is up. Then it does nice on the T4 too. And it kicks smoother than the free pivot for low angle stuff. This is easy, Traverse.
Would it be the same with the old Voile Hardwire binding rods, the ones without the 3 pins? I seem to be very hard on my boots as both my Alaska and Alico Ski March are damaged just behind the 3 pins holes at the flexing point... maybe I should only do one click... I would think this binding would offer less resistance than the SB and be better apapted to leather boots

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:51 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:25 am
Woodserson wrote:
Leathers bend inside the travel of the rod/hardwire bindings and you don't get good resistance. Cable binding bends with the boot and offers better tension when the heel is up. Then it does nice on the T4 too. And it kicks smoother than the free pivot for low angle stuff. This is easy, Traverse.
Would it be the same with the old Voile Hardwire binding rods, the ones without the 3 pins? I seem to be very hard on my boots as both my Alaska and Alico Ski March are damaged just behind the 3 pins holes at the flexing point... maybe I should only do one click... I would think this binding would offer less resistance than the SB and be better apapted to leather boots
Good question for Lo-Fi. He loves these bindings.

Do you have any? Go with what you have.

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:00 pm

Woodserson wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:51 am
Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:25 am
Woodserson wrote:
Good question for Lo-Fi. He loves these bindings.

Do you have any? Go with what you have.
I jumped on the opportunity to buy 2 used pairs of Voile HW without pins. I already had a spare Traverse but 3 skis to mount... so I will try the HW on the Objectives and either the other HW or the Traverse on the longer FT62... my God this a serious case of GAS that I am going through :shock: I know there was concern about leather boots and bindings with rods but I will be using the Andrew Zénith which are really stiff or the Ski March, even stiffer, so i should be fine. I will post about my experience with them later...

lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Post by lowangle al » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:00 pm

Did those old HWs come with the toe piece that is screwed on a riser like the current 3Pin HWS. If so you can change the toe pieces without removing the riser or you could possibly mount those old HWs to a traverse riser.. I have 3pHW risers mounted on skis and I can switch between the HW toe piece, Rivas or regular 3p cable. You can probably mount any old three pin or cable binding with the old standard hole pattern to a HW or traverse riser.

Nitram Tocrut

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:34 pm

lowangle al wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:00 pm
Did those old HWs come with the toe piece that is screwed on a riser like the current 3Pin HWS. If so you can change the toe pieces without removing the riser or you could possibly mount those old HWs to a traverse riser.. I have 3pHW risers mounted on skis and I can switch between the HW toe piece, Rivas or regular 3p cable. You can probably mount any old three pin or cable binding with the old standard hole pattern to a HW or traverse riser.
They both have the Traverse like risers so I should be able to tangle between all my skis mounted with risers. Hopefully i will find some time to ski after I choose which skis and binding mix are the best for the day :lol:

fisheater
Ski style: All my own, and age doesn't help
Favorite Skis: Gamme 54, Falketind 62, I hope to add a third soon
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska, Alico Ski March

Post by fisheater » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:01 pm

I ski my FT 62 with 3-pin Cable and Ski March boots. I’m mounting the new to me 187 Tindan with 3-pin Hardwire bindings. I have skied these bindings with both T-4’s and the Ski March leather. When I ski that binding with the Ski March I ski it adjusted about the same as I do with the T-4, which is a longer boot from pin line to heel throw. I only want a little spring support from the Hardwire with the leather boots.
Works for me. I know I want the riser for an 86 cm underfoot ski. I also appreciate the 3-pin for kicking along.
I don’t do that much climbing that requires a free pivot. I am always looking for better terrain, and I am finding some. What I am finding more, on my search excursions on skinny skis, are fun single track trails with steep downhill drops, and steep uphills that make for good old man exercise. Besides I go stupid fast on the downhills, because there isn’t much turning on single track. I know I get a full dose of endorphins and adrenaline!
I have always said that I wish I needed a Vector. I still do, but I’ll probably buy myself a skinny dog ski.
Cheers guys!
PS Enjoy fall, plenty to enjoy now! When we’re blessed with snow, that will be awesome!

Woodserson
Ski style: Bumps, trees, steeps and long woodsy XC tours

Post by Woodserson » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:12 pm

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:00 pm

my God this a serious case of GAS that I am going through :shock:
No no, you are just getting started... just getting started. Just you wait...