Looking for Wax Selection Advice

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Re: Looking for Wax Selection Advice

Post by Stephen » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:01 pm

Lilcliffy, thanks for educating me about the dark side of Fluoro waxes. I would have otherwise ignored the dark shadows, and just assumed that since I could buy it, it must be okay.
I don’t want you to think I didn’t take your admonition seriously.

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:44 pm

>>Getting rid of the MH pants you already own won’t make the world a better place — they had to have not been made in the first place.

I'm not thinking of nature - my paranoia is focused on little particles getting into my bloodstream! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Of course I hope using my dollars to buy sustainable products will help move companies in that direction. You could see how just 1 or 2 clothing companies switching to cruelty-free down forced most of the others to do it within a few years.

I'd like to use cast-iron cookware, if I was a better cook I would. Somewhat higher maintenance. Maybe I'll try one pan. I like Vollrath stainless steel which is US-made - I try to avoid Asian-made metals as much as possible.
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Stephen
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94

Post by Stephen » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:57 pm

Right on. It can be challenging to lead a virtuous and righteous life.
:)

Even cast iron can be a problem by getting too much iron that the body can’t eliminate well.
Maybe true ceramic (not the ceramic coated) is the way to go.

Ok, out of the kitchen and back to skis...

CwmRaider
Ski style: XC-(D) tinkerer
Favorite Skis: Åsnes FT62 XP, Børge Ousland
Occupation: Very precise measurements of very small quantities.

Post by CwmRaider » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:06 am

Fluor based wax are no longer allowed in Norway for competition use, due to the hazard for nature, and for ski preppers. I have still seen it on sale (and ridiculously cheap) so it's not yet outright forbidden for recreational use.

lilcliffy
Ski style: backcountry Nordic ski touring
Favorite Skis: Asnes Ingstad, Combat Nato, Amundsen, Rabb 68; Altai Kom
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska BC; Lundhags Expedition; Alfa Skaget XP; Scarpa T4
Instructor at Maritime College of Forest Technology
Husband, father, farmer and logger

Post by lilcliffy » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:36 pm

Stephen wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:01 pm
Lilcliffy, thanks for educating me about the dark side of Fluoro waxes. I would have otherwise ignored the dark shadows, and just assumed that since I could buy it, it must be okay.
I don’t want you to think I didn’t take your admonition seriously.
Hi Stephen,
Sorry I did not respond to you on this matter.
I am sorry if I gave you- or anyone- the impression that I was angry with you- I am certainly not.
I am just angry that we keep producing products like fluoro waxes.

I am all for disposable mass-produced products- as long as it turns into soil when you throw it out.

Take plastic-
The problem with plastic is not plastic- it is that we refuse to make plastic out of trees. (Which we can do- it just costs more to do it.)

Back to wax-
I hope I don't wake up one day and find out I am yet again a hypocrite-
My understanding is that only fluoro ski waxes are toxic-
But what about my beloved non-fluoro grip waxes? I really don't understand their chemical make-up...
I sure hope that my daily ski touring is not contributing to microplastic in the ocean...

Stephen-
Thank you so much or joining us and sharing your interest, passion and experience.
Gareth
Cross-country AND down-hill skiing in the backcountry.
Unashamed to be a "cross-country type" and love skiing down-hill.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:58 pm

As long as you’re not throwing rocks at me, all good man.
I never had the impression you were angry at me, and I appreciated the education.
I dislike the impact man is having on the environment.
On the other hand, I drive a car, wear stuff not made from natural fibers, and on and on.

At least one problem I see with the Fluoro waxes is that, even if production was stopped today, what do we do with the tons of it that are in the supply chain? If one person doesn’t buy it, another will, or, it can go to land fill.
Can’t shoot the stuff into the center of the sun!

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:57 pm

I found a pretty good deal on Vauhti wax.
I have always used Swix, but am starting from scratch, so thought I might give Vauhti a try on a bulk order from Finland.
I know it would be harder to source individual items in the US, but not too worried about that.
To be honest, I switched from Swix because the site I was on was out of one of the items I wanted, and then it turned out the Vaughti was a little less expensive.
Oh, and because they are Finnish, and that seems cool!
8-)

Any thoughts on quality, effectiveness, usability, etc?
Any reason to not go that route?
:?:

phoenix
Ski style: My own
Favorite Skis: Varies,I've had many favorites
Favorite boots: Excursions, T1's

Post by phoenix » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:32 pm

" Seems like fluoro has the biggest benefit around 0 F, or with higher humidity "

Flouro's come into their own on wet snow, or old and dirtier snow, in general. I've never tried Vaughti waxes, but they're probably just fine. You might find it takes a bit to get dialed in to their performance for a given color compared to the Swix.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:18 pm

Phoenix, yeah, your’e confirming what I have been learning as I read up on different products.
On the learning curve, how hard can it be — the cans have the temp numbers printed on them!
Ha ha — but really, not rocket science.

Man, i gotta fix my image one of these days — I just look so... blah.
Looking for Wax Selection Advice - Page 2 - Telemark Talk  Telemark Tips Forum.png

Rainbow83
Ski style: XC racer learning Tele and exploring XCD
Favorite Skis: Current XCD/Tele Quiver includes: USGI Asnes MT65, Fischer Voodoo, K2 Super Stinx
Favorite boots: Asolo Extreme

Post by Rainbow83 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:47 am

Coming from the world of XC racing, it's a bit funny to me to come here and see people asking about fluoros. Ever since the EPA put a ban on Swix and Toko importing fluorinated waxes to the US a couple seasons ago, it's been a HUGE deal for the xc racing community. The EPA ban actually was more coincidental because they were really targeting companies using fluorocarbons for industrial purposes and Swix and Toko just happened to end up on that list of banned companies because of how much fluoros they import. The thing is, that also came at the same time as a lot of research about the lasting and harmful environmental effects of fluoros. Not only are they carcinogenic, they also get deposited on the snow and stay there throughout the year, affecting the local wildlife. FIS, which governs all international ski racing, Alpine and Nordic, banned them for the upcoming season last winter and NENSA, which is the governing body for xc racing in New England has also banned them, so it's a pretty big deal. I know the xcd and telemark community here probably doesn't care too much about the minutia of waxing in the world of xc racing, but it's been really interesting to watch it all unfold. If you're into high performance waxes, it's a very confusing and exciting time as all the big companies are now totally changing their wax lines.