Ski Length Dilemma

This is the World Famous TelemarkTalk / TelemarkTips Forum, by far the most dynamic telemark and backcountry skiing discussion board on the world wide web. We have fun here, come on in and be a part of it.
lowangle al
Ski style: BC with focus on downhill perfection
Favorite Skis: powder skis
Favorite boots: Scarpa T4
Occupation: Retired cement mason. Current job is to take my recreation as serious as I did my past employment.

Re: Ski Length Dilemma

Post by lowangle al » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:32 pm

My opinion is that if you only want a couple pairs of skis don't get something too similar to what you already have. You currently have long, skinny and fast so I would go to the other end of the spectrum, maybe something around 70-75 mm waist and 180-185cm long and single camber.

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:06 pm

Stephen wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:00 am

That’s what I’m trying to figure out! Maybe the Ingstad or FT62?

Nitram, I like the way you are thinking.
I already have the MR48s in 210, so I was dreaming about the ski for the next step up.
What do you think, Ingstad or FT, or ...?
Just blasting around, nothing extreme, but capable of more than the MR — More deep, more steep, and still XC capable?
You like the Ingstad, so I’m curious about why you like it? What characteristics or experience of using that ski?
Well, I will just say that if I had to choose a ski for "Tour for turn" I would definitively pick the FT62 over the Ingstad from my own experience. For multi days trip with a heavy backpack I would definitively pick the Ingstad as I think they are a beefier ski and probably more stable with a heavy load. But I remember that I wished I had a ski like the FT62 to play around the cabin without the backpack in every multi days trip that I have done in the last couple of years... well maybe next time i bring less booze and bring the FT62... anyway, they are lighter than a couple of cans of beer ;)

I don't know... stop overthinking it... just buy both... and then just wait for the next urge to buy skis :lol:

Stephen
Ski style: Aspirational Hack
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94
Favorite boots: Alfa Guard Advance, Scarpa TX Pro
6’3” / 191cm — 172# / 78kg, size 47 / 30 mondo

Post by Stephen » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:48 am

Nitram Tocrut wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:06 pm
I don't know... stop overthinking it... just buy both... and then just wait for the next urge to buy skis :lol:
Ha ha, easy for you to say as you succumb to your lust for a pair of NOSI...
:D

Nitram Tocrut
Ski style: Backyard XC skiing if that is a thing
Favorite Skis: Sverdrup and MT51
Favorite boots: Alpina Alaska NNNBC

Post by Nitram Tocrut » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:12 am

Stephen wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:48 am
Ha ha, easy for you to say as you succumb to your lust for a pair of NOSI...
Well, if I do something has to give and I would have to sell a pair like the Rabb as I would be too many skis in the same range. Like Lowangle suggested, you are probably better off with skis that are quite different in term of size and properties if you don’t want too many of them... because once you have them it’s hard to convince yourself to sell them to make room for others. For the Nosi, I would be a fool to buy them as I already have the Objectives on the way in and I surely don’t need that many wider skis as my terrain and snow conditions are rarely good for those skis. It sure would be a different story if I was living close to bigger mountains with lot of snow and open terrain... it’s all a question of perspective I guess...

Cannatonic

Post by Cannatonic » Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:53 pm

>>Just curious if you have compared the MR48 to the MT51 and what you think?

I have not...I have very wide feet and I feel like a wider waist gives me more stability underfoot. It looks like the main difference of the MT51 is you get a little more width and flotation at the expense of slightly more weight than the MR skis.

It's true about experimenting to find out what works best. My preference for 210's or maybe 205's is mostly in traditional-shape skis with sidecuts between 15-25mm. When you get into modern "shaped" skis with sidecuts of 30-40mm+ you go with the shorter length. Seems like those skis are designed to be used at shorter lengths.

wouldn't read too much into this "XCD knight" stuff. :lol: I think that just means I've posted more blather than others! quantity doesn't mean quality :lol: :lol:
"All wisdom is to be gained through suffering"
-Will Lange (quoting Inuit chieftan)

Stephen
Favorite Skis: Armada Tracer 118 (195), Gamme (210), Ingstad (205), Objective BC (178), Nordica Enforcer 94

Post by Stephen » Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:26 pm

Cannatonic wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:53 pm

I have not...I have very wide feet and ...
Just curious — so if you have wide feet (like I do), what are you wearing for boots?
Always seems a challenge to find something that really fits my foot comfortably.
Alfa Guards are best so far.

Even Merrill Wide trail shoes don’t work.
Best so far is Altra for that, and I think a pair of Salomon X Ultra 3 I just bought might work ok.
Usually, the toe box is not round enough (too tapered and pinches toes).
Waah, waah

bauerb

Post by bauerb » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:43 pm

I feel your dilemma. I'm starting to research my first new tele skis/bindings I've ever bought. for 35 years I've only owned used tele gear..and for that reason I've always just bought what was available that seemed close to what I wanted...width, length, bindings...always a mixed bag. for example, in 2006 I wanted Bomber Bishop bindings, so I bought a pair of Rossi Sick Birds that had the Bombers I wanted, but the skis were 165's, a bit short...but worked just fine for years.

trying to pick 1 pair of skis is not easy....and I'm only buying 1 pair. just be honest with yourself about your ability and how you are going to really use the skis.

Musk Ox
Ski style: Bad
Favorite Skis: I am a circumpolar mammal
Favorite boots: Hooves

Post by Musk Ox » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:40 pm

Stephen wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:26 pm
Cannatonic wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:53 pm

I have not...I have very wide feet and ...
Just curious — so if you have wide feet (like I do), what are you wearing for boots?
Always seems a challenge to find something that really fits my foot comfortably.
Alfa Guards are best so far.

Even Merrill Wide trail shoes don’t work.
Best so far is Altra for that, and I think a pair of Salomon X Ultra 3 I just bought might work ok.
Usually, the toe box is not round enough (too tapered and pinches toes).
Waah, waah
I have wide feet and wear Lundhags Guides.

https://www.lundhags.com/en/ski-nordic- ... -skiboots/

They're beautiful, but expensive, and I think difficult to find in North America. And I suspect stiffness junkies might prefer the Guide Expeditions.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:11 pm

That is a nice looking boot!
Does it have a full felt liner or just a felt sole?
Have you ever tried the Alfa Guard — I wonder how the two boots would compare?
(The Alfa Guards do have a Goretex liner.)
If I’m in Europe, I would check out the Lundhags.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:53 pm

I’ve been trying to solve two “problems.”

1. Ski Selection for a step up ski from MR48, and;
2. Ski Length (not so straight-forward, given the mis-match between my height and weight (6’ 3+” / 160 pounds).

After much thought, my answer to #1 is the Falketind 62;
(I know, that’s a pretty big step up — trying to avoid AGAS!)
On #2, I’m really on the fence between 188 and 196.
(Leaning towards 196 for reference.)

I know length depends on lots of variables — my concern is that possibly 196 is just too long, even considering any combination of variables. I know I can’t really “know” until I actually ski it, but there is no way I’m buying the ski In both lengths, just so I can really know the answer.

I’ve already gotten lots of good advice, so sheepish about bringing this up again, but any additional comments are appreciated.